Post Your Daily Sandwich

Yep!!! Starch bar and side sandwich for $17… even better!!! Thank you!!!

1 Like

thanks for the protip, stopped by today after doing a local errand.

You know, I think I like the idea of a prime rib sandwich much more than an actual prime rib sandwich; I’ll probably grab a platter next time.

Prefer the potato salad over the cole slaw, and the non-whipped horseradish is great at clearing the sinuses.

Pleb Sloan in the restroom, but they have new daily newspapers to look at while doing your business so I suppose an acceptable compromise.

Lots of industry people in there, which makes sense - it seems like a place built for people with more money than time. $26.xx for prime rib sandwich + 1 beer after tax. It took less than 5 minutes for me to park, order a drink, get a drink, order a sandwich, and receive the sandwich.

5 Likes

I love that, so old-school. Reminds me of my sports wagering days in the old dives in Vegas while you’re doing your business and reading the latest odds and sports league personnel/team transactions.

I remember when Houston’s in Irvine had TV monitors above the urinals. They’re gone, but they still have one of the best prime rib dips I’ve had.

Sample size is now 2:

I can’t stand this bread but man that meat is freaking delicious. Prime rib is the most obvious but for me that brisket I had today was a perfect 5/7. Copious amounts of jus provided.

Also, I found out they have a chili (off menu?)

I’m still trying to figure out my path here but it all comes back to the meat.

$23.xx after tax for 1 brisket sandwich, gratis sides bar, and 1 beer.

3 Likes

I got one of the Mrs. Maisel $2 turkey sandwiches from Delucas Deli in Glendale (in the Americana).

No picture - after waiting in line for 30 minutes, I didn’t even think about pictures, I took it home, split it with my husband and ate it!

Tasty and fun to be a part of the day - but I would not pay the normal $9.90 for it.

3 Likes

Burnt Crumbs Reuben in Irvine

Rye bread, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, Russian dressing, pastrami (requested lean)

It’s not Langer’s tier pastrami: the flavor is not smokey enough but more cured (like corned beef). Thus I think this pastrami wouldn’t shine in a simple rye and mustard sandwich.

However, for heathens such as myself who really enjoy the condiments in a Reuben sandwich, this is one of the better ones I’ve had in my opinion. They make all the sandwich components in-house except the Swiss cheese.

5 Likes

A queso de puerco Cemita from El Poblano (picfair) loaded up with stringy cheese, avocado and toasty chili oil

3 Likes

Cemitas are one of my favorite things. Can I ask which place you got it from specifically? I swear they’re all some variation of “cemita” and “poblana”

El poblano . Same one that’s always on Pico by FF

Oh, Pico and Fairfax, got it. Sorry, I had no idea what picfair was. I thought it was like a photo app

we got to coax you out of venice once in a while :stuck_out_tongue:

Venice? We’re east siders where there are cemitas as far as the eye can see! Maybe a taste off in the future?

EDIT: That reminds me, did they include papalo or is that already out of season?

1 Like

I was hoping you’d say this. :slight_smile: el Poblano is far from top dog, just best around here . And 5 times better than the trash one I got from a generalist truck last week

To be fair, Bill Esparza said a while back that cemitas aren’t that great in LA. Of course, that just made me think, “Damn if they’re ‘not good’ here what must they be like in Puebla?!”

2 Likes

AMAZING! Puebla is not far from Mexico City… Worth a visit.

–Dommy!

the pork belly bun from breadfish cafe (hacienda heights)

With all this talk of cemitas, I thought I’d try Don Adrian in Van Nuys. Cecina Asada cemita, it was pretty good.

While I find cemitas enjoyable, I’ve never been that into them. Most of the time I go it’s because someone else wants to. I’ve had three different people tell me I absolutely need to go Cemitas La China Poblana and it’ll change my mind. Has anyone been?

1 Like

I been there. That’s right across the old graveyard in Boyle Heights? It’s been a few, I remember it being okay/fine. I just think cemitas in general are much like the recent weather…dry

1 Like

My favorite spot for cemitas is the Cemitas Poblanas Tepeaca truck on Whittier Blvd. in East L.A. So dang good. Not dry at all. But I am a fan of cemitas generally. I’ve had Cemitas La China Poblana, and they were just OK. Would have rather gone down the street to the Tepeaca truck.

2 Likes