Post Your Daily Sandwich

it was only okay for me.

Fair enough.
Gjusta has a porchetta sandwich, too. Itā€™s not bad, but Iā€™d prefer it paired with something more acidic to cut through the richness.
Iā€™ll keep thinking on it.
@TheCookieā€™s rec for Angelini might be the move. I havenā€™t tried it, but usually everything they do is at least very good and sometimes great.

1 Like

come to think of it, Angeliniā€™s was indeed the best one Iā€™ve had. But it wasnā€™t good enough for me to remember having it until you mentioned it.

3 Likes

Honestly not loving anything about the way that plate looks.
It may just be that you donā€™t generally like porchetta, though. There still might be one out there that works for you, but it could be a long slog.
If youā€™re in SF, @CiaoBobā€™s suggestion of Roli Roti is solid. Iā€™d check to see if Cotogna is doing their porchetta, too. Not a sandwich, but itā€™s kinda legendary.
Ima keep my eyes peeled for you.

2 Likes

Conveniently Iā€™m in SF at least 3x a year, and we love the ferry building! Do yā€™all think I can get this postmated to me at Ocean Beach? Lol

And yeah it was basically turkey dinner except with pork, and I remember wishing there was a lot more skin. Ugly delicious - but not that delicious.

Hi @frommtron -

Did you try the porchetta melt? It is topped with really tart rapini (broccoli rabe) and red onions. I prefer the savory one with horseradish. But the melt should fit your acidic bill.

2 Likes

I :heart: Angelini. And they serve a lovely porchetta, sliced tableside.That is why I feel like Iā€™m cheating on them when I say Factory Kitchen serves my favorite porchettaā€¦ but they do.

1 Like

I did. I much prefer the butcher myself. The porchetta + cheese combination wasnā€™t for me.
The butcher is a solid sandwich, though.

1 Like

Maybe you could get a little of the rapini on your butcher sandwich. :wink:

Maybe. I didnā€™t find that rapini to be tart. It was nicely bitter, but . . . I didnā€™t get much tartness the only time I strayed from the butcher.
I think a tart salsa verde or gremolata is the way to go for my tastes.
Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m not too picky. What I am is an incorrigible nit-picker.
Iā€™ve got The Kroft at #1 and Gjustaā€™s butcher at #2 for my LA-area tops, but I think my list just means I need to get out more.

Ahhhā€¦ ā€œa tart salsa verde or gremolataā€ I get it. Youā€™re right, the rapini is more bitter. Itā€™s been a while, but I think they do marinate or dress it. Whatever it is I wasnā€™t in love with it. Iā€™m mostly a savory sandwich kindaā€™ girl. Though I do like a lite schmear of good mustard or the juicy, salty, vinegary heat from a peperoncino.

1 Like

IMG_0196Gjusta Lox & Bagel

8 Likes

Thatā€™s so pretty.

1 Like

next time, grab a bottle of this on the shelf behind you and be prepared to spread it on every bit of toast and eggs you have. a nice dollop goes great in a homemade bowl of chicken soup as well. itā€™ll def wake up the sandwich.

2 Likes

Ohhhā€¦ Iā€™m at Eataly right now. I am so gonnaā€™ look for this.

Eataly - Century City

Lunching at Eataly for 1st time and came across this.

Notice the Wednesday Special.

Picked up a few provisions

ā€¦And decided to make my own Porchetta sandwich

Porchetta (this was more like mild ham), chopped up Broccoli & Calabrian Peppers in Oil, lite spread of Veganaise and drizzle of Arbequina Olive Oil on simple Baguette. Next time Iā€™m going harder with the Peppers.

13 Likes

Looks good. And I am willing to bet it tastes much better than the pre-made porchetta sandwiches they have that are ready-to-eat.

1 Like

Thanks @frommtron - More economical too. The package makes 2 nice sized sandwiches. Still, I wouldnā€™t quite call it Porchetta. It was more like ham w/herbs.

1 Like

Yeah. Thereā€™s a type of porchetta that is a cured deli meat product. Itā€™s a real thing. Itā€™s also not really what most of us want when we think of porchetta roast.

Ameliaā€™s on Main Street in Santa Monica (of all places) does an interesting sandwich with a housemade porchetta cold cut. Itā€™s really pretty good if you want a ham sandwich.

2 Likes

I do like ham sandwiches.