Post Your Daily Sandwich

Yeah. That stuff is potent as heck. After I took some out it was fine but there was so much it overpowered the cemita.

1 Like

Itā€™s so true that papalo is an acquired taste due to its pungency, @LAgirl and @A5KOBE. I usually go to Cemitas Poblanas Don Adrian with my in-laws and husband, and my MIL and I always order cemitas with papalo, but my FIL and husband steer clear of the stuff.

1 Like

Was playing Uber-dad and ended up in Santa Monica around noon which meant changing hats to ChowNow-dad and grab lunch. Ended up at Viet Noodle Bar on Pico (former LA Bites location) and picked up three of their sandwiches.

Spicy sardine, chicken and turmeric fish sandwiches. Pretty much Banh Mii in spirit. Bread was fine but not crispy like Vietnamese baguettes. The carrot/daikon could use more pickling for my tastes. The chicken was eh. The spicy sardine and turmeric fish were quite good. I actually wouldnā€™t mind if the sardines were more sardine-y. They are minced along with some sort of chile/condiment, making the sardine less pronounced. Thanks @CiaoBob for mentioning this place.

5 Likes

They have a sign up that says itā€™s seasonal and only then will they have it. Iā€™m sure you can ask them to leave it off.

It is very similar to cilantro. Itā€™s funny because cilantro is the one food item I cannot abide by, anything else I can eat or tolerate or work around. Cilantro not so much.

However the first time I ever encountered Papalo was at Bricia Lopezā€™s (of the Guelgetza restaurants) original cemitas sandwich in Huntington Parkā€¦ I was instantly enamored at how the herb brought another dimension to the sandwich. But I do vaguely recall that it was only a small amount and it complimented rather than overwhelming the sandwich.

But the quality of those cemitas was fantastic and Iā€™m sure the herb was very fresh which would make a big difference.

3 Likes

me tooā€”but at her cemitas shop in Ktown (which unfortunately no longer exists). When I bit into my cemita and tasted the papalo for the first time I wasnā€™t sure what I was eatingā€“just that it was a weird flavor getting in the way of my enjoyment of the roasted pork. Luckily I was w/ a friend of mine who is originally from Mexico City and she explained that papalo is the typical herb that goes on cemitas. After she identified the papalo, Iā€™ve made it a point to make sure itā€™s no longer on my cemitas.

yes, they were great cemitas and I wish the shop was still open. They made really good tacos arabes as well.

Glad you enjoyed it Bvn.
I like it but agree the sardine itself is kind of muted. I just cleaned 3 lbs of fresh sardines from Santa Monica seafood last week for a bucatini con Sarde - so I am extremely hip to the flavor when it comes out right.

2 Likes

Nice. Any pictures? If so, post on ā€œNobody Cooks in L.A.ā€

2 Likes

7 Likes

Is that dill as the garnish? Looks quite tasty. :slight_smile:

fennel fronds - classic in the prep in pasta con la sarde

1 Like

Correct - fennel top garnish

1 Like

Birdieā€™s

A good chicken sando involving large moist white breasts, though the bun does come apart easily. The spicy version packed no heat, so save a $1 and go for the original.

Unfair to compare to Howlin Rays, ATM, IMHO, since thereā€™s hardly a wait. But surely someone can do a comparo ASAP.

these sandwiches, compared to the similarly priced sandwich at M-CON, once again show how the ā€œTaiwaneseā€ place has no clue wtf theyā€™re doing.

5 Likes

Pork belly banh mi from Mendocino Farms in Brea. Not really an banh mi, but a tasty lunch regardless.

4 Likes

very tasty. probably my favorite Mendo Farm sandwich.

It was my first time in. It wonā€™t be my last. What else do you like there?

The Steak BLT is great!

1 Like

+1

1 Like

I also like the peruvian steak sandwich and the dosa. Donā€™t forget about free fizzy water at the soda fountain station. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m a fan of their buffalo chicken sandwich. (Canā€™t remember the cutesy name they give it.)

1 Like

Mendocino has dosas? did I miss this the whole time?