Post Your Daily Sandwich

Please disregard the dosa -you are far too well-acquainted with Indian cuisines. It’s MF’s very loose interpretation that is actually a Californicated wrap. The filling’s seasoning is Indian-esque, and the “dosa” is actually a whole wheat tortilla. I can’t imagine how many East Indians were severely disappointed when they ordered this, thinking they were getting something just like momma used to make. It’s fine for what it actually is, but it’s no dosa that I’m familiar with.

1 Like

Is it whole wheat? I never knew…

I agree w/ @bulavinaka. The dosa is probably as “authentic” as the Mendocino banh mi. Still, it’s pretty tasty (IMHO), and it definitely seems Indian-inspired (although not quite Indian adjacent). And it really is labeled a “dosa” on the menu. They even try to serve it w/ something resembling sambar (IIRC).

1 Like

MF does this quite a bit - misnomers galore. The food items are good to really good, but the names can be misleading.

I tend to view the names of their sandwiches as a loose flavor profile definition ----the bahn mi is a good example. it’s not anything like an actual bahn mi, but references the flavors and veggie texture of one.

3 Likes

You’re pretty much on the nose. But can you imagine TonyC ordering a “dosa” at MF? I should have shut up because his reaction to their “dosa” would have been priceless.

4 Likes

Clementine in Century City:
Grilled Pimento Cheese - Sharp cheddar cheese spread, roasted sweet peppers on buttery, grilled country white. It looks simple. But it packs a flavor punch. You can order it w/pickled jalapeños.

9 Likes

lol. yup—that would have been worth it. he would have gone into full dragon mode.

3 Likes

:laughing:[quote=“bulavinaka, post:85, topic:3052”]
I should have shut up
[/quote]

No wonder I never noticed, damned thing is under the “vegan” section. It’s too bad they’re just using some burrito wrap(?) instead of an actual dosa crepe. That would’ve blown my mind.

a rare sight, I promise. Have I mentioned how I love Chennai Dosa? rava dosa is briliant there:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDG3sN-GwLEB2qCne7iaJfXcg84l55I9S40wlA0/

(edit: photo of rava dosa.)

2 Likes

I think you’ve tried the best of the regular sandwiches in the pork belly “banh mi.” I also really like some of their special sandwiches. The Drake Farm’s Celebration sandwich is great if you like goat cheese, as is the El Presidente torta. Anything smoked is usually pretty good, too, as they now have their own smokehouse.

1 Like

Jesus, Mary and Joseph…the Gjusta Falafel Sandwich near-knocked me senseless today.
I think it was @bulavinaka who was singing its praises recently and I could not agree more. Crunchy and sweet and a little spicy with an amazing sesame ficelle and a fantastic vegetable medley- pickled onion/salted cucumber/radish/sprouts. Every bite was a slice of heaven.

12 Likes

Glad you liked it. It ain’t the conventional falafel sandwich on flat bread - poster bigmouth (I think) was kinda thrown by it being without. But, as you were, I was lovin’ each bite. I guess if one thinks of thos as a tasty sandwich that just happens to have falafels in it, maybe it will be more approachable?

1 Like

Hubby just had the lox and pronounced it remarkable. So I would return for the lox. Otoh, I had their coleslaw which I found rather tasteless. Looking forward to getting potato salad next time.

Whoops, posted in wrong thread. Was trying to post my sandwich from AOC here.

Dudley Market Breakfast Sandwich

2 Likes

What’s in it?

Over easy egg, in-house smoked Alf ham, cheddar and arugula…

1 Like

Ditto. Just had my first one today and was absolutely blown away. An incredible sandwich and unlike any other falafel sandwich I’ve had. After trying about four different Gjusta sandwiches thus far, it’s my favorite.

Also split their prime rib today. I enjoyed its simplicity, but didn’t feel it is as destination worthy as some of their other items.

Darn it! First @bulavinaka then @CiaoBob and now you @Helper_Monkey. :slight_smile: For some reason I haven’t ordered their Falafel Sandiwch yet. I must try it soon… Thanks.

1 Like

Turkey on homemade Ciabbata with mozzarella, calevrstrano olives at AOC. Great fries. This was earlier this werk

6 Likes

Boos Koreatown cheesesteak and mushroom steak.

7 Likes