Post Your Super Bowl Spread

Les Ailes

6 Likes

They’re less pricey too. I do love Dry Dock but it’s also super close, easy and I can do all my FM shopping.

3 Likes

We throw a party every year, it’s a wonderful pot luck but we made two mains based on the playing teams… Because of everything… Super Bowl totally snuck on me. Those that know us know… we are BIG Patriots fans… but Brady is not the Pats. So instead we decided to make a couple of things we otherwise never would have…

First Half Snack… Jalapeno Popper Pigs in a Blanket using Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar, Dufour Puff Pastry and Fork in the Road Little Smokeys.

OMG. I am not a huge fan of Jalapeno Poppers… I like them in concept… but they are SO HEAVY and Salty. These were not at all. The Jalapeno was cooked perfectly… the puff pastry was light and angelic. The fancy little smokeys well worth the cost because they were tender and flavorful.

https://hostthetoast.com/jalapeno-popper-pigs-blanket/.

One sheet of Dufour makes 10 of these.

Second Half Snack… TJ’s Toasted Ravioli in with Garlic Confit Marinara with Bianco Pureed Tomatoes and home grown basil.

These are brand new to Trader Joes and so glad I scored them. I made them in the oven and made sure they got nice and toasted … and they were indeed crisp and oozy. The filling was more ricotta than mozzarella stick which was perfectly fine! One of the best TJ’s appetizers I’ve had in a long time!

The sauce I made by using a small heavy sauce pan and heating up a good glugg of olive oil and adding way too much chunks of garlic. I cooked for about 15 minutes in VERY LOW heat. Added good italian tomato paste and then 14oz of the Bianco puree. Salt, Pepper, dried oregano and some fennel salt I have which just the slightest whisper and a pinch of pepper flakes. Then let it simmer for about 45 minutes. Once I take from heat I added ribbons of fresh basil and put it in a weck jar to be reheated on game day. Re heated wonderfully!

While the game was going… P had two pieces of pork shoulder in Char Siu marinade going in the Sous Vide. He roasted in the oven and the occasional lacquer. He used the Nom Wah cookbook as a guide, and then adjusted it based on our first attempt (which was meh). This was amazing! We were so stuffed, we just had a few slices with rice and some left over pickles from Needle (Always order the pickles!!)

Plan to enjoy the rest tonight as Fried Rice!

–Dommy!

19 Likes

As well as Japanese markets as @Hungrydrunk pointed out both 99 Ranch and the Galleria carry sushi grade fish.

3 Likes

US Sakasyu - call 213 215 6763 or DM on Instagram @ussakasyu

Or try Mitsuwa in Torrance or Nijiya on 182nd St in Torrance.

2 Likes

Not worth a pic. My wife was working and I was alone. A hard boiled egg, some Trader Joe’s PB-filled mini pretzels, and a Macallan 12yr Double Cask was my ‘spread’. Yippee!!!

12 Likes

Glad for the Macallan…at least the peat was something close to a vegetable.
Agree these are depressing times. I miss cooking for people. I miss seeing people. I hate that when I am walking the dog people cross the street to avoid contact instead of wanting to pet him.
Okay enough venting.
I hope you enjoyed the game. I did as Brady is a UofM alumni (I grew up in Ann Arbor) and an old guy. I am sure Mahomes will be back, maybe as often as Brady has been. Mahomes is an incredible talent.

5 Likes

The Fork in the Road Lil Goodies are indeed so good. They make the best pigs in blankets. But expensive as you said so if I’m feeding a crowd it’s back to Litl Smokies

2 Likes

Great looking spread and write up - I was chewing the imaginary meal as I read it!

1 Like

Here is my “spread” which included Prime Pizza inspired by @Ns1 and Laroolou by @hanhgry

Sicilian square pie was pretty darn good, I liked this better than any pizza I have had at Antico. I wanted the spicy pepperoni but it was a communication error on my part. This was at the Little Tokyo location which makes it convenient for Chinatown bang bangs and shopping at LAX-C.

And a touchdown pack from Laroolou because it all sounded good. The Chiefs pie was definitely the better of the two and the thiccies are so damn tasty. The salted cookies n cream is so good.

I also had some Buffalo wings from Costco.

14 Likes