Preparing horseradish

I’ve got a hunk of horseradish, and instead of creating a sauce, I want to make it ready to add to whatever I want, like the store bought prepared horseradish.

BTW, does anyone use a bottled horseradish they like. I tired a couple. Pretty awful.

I keep a horseradish root on hand at all times, and I use a microplane to grate it. It’s not quite like store-bought, because it’s a lot better.

I’m not sure homemade prepared horseradish will be much better than Bubbies after a few days or weeks but I haven’t tried it.

Do you have a vacuum sealer? I’ve kept fresh horseradish fresh that way.

1 Like

So you keep it fresh in the fridge or frozen? We had lunch at a wonderful seafood place and the raw oysters came with freshly grated horseradish and mignonette. Yum.

It does fine in the vegetable drawer in the fridge. The first hunk I bought cost me a grand total of $2, so I was fine with it losing potency or otherwise become unusable. But it didn’t - even after a year.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. So it looks like the consensus is just store it as-is and take what you need when you need it? It’s in my fridge, but would you freeze it?

Good article! Interesting fact, the longer you wait to add the vinegar, the hotter it gets. Who knew :slight_smile:

Holy smoke!!! I saw it some years ago at Uwajimaya, a wonderful Asian store, in Seattle. IIRC it was $100/#!!!

I cryovac’d it and keep it in the vegetable drawer.

Fresh wasabi might cost $100 a pound, but at Berkeley Bowl horseradish is well under $10 / lb.

1 Like

That’s probably wasabi. This is just plain ol’ horseradish, cheap as dirt.

1 Like

Oh shit, of course. Sorry about that.