Providence LA

Damn…that looks delish!

Have reservations here for me and gf anniversary, but don’t want to break the bank on wine pairing (am young guy)…Any suggestions on a bottle to bring, maybe even sake?

I actually suggest getting 1 wine pairing to share. You get about 10 different wine/sake for $100 which is well worth it considering that corkage is already $50. Providence is also very generous with their pours so 1 pairing is more than enough wine for 2 people.

6 Likes

cool, so you’re allowed to do just one pairing instead of two?

Correct.

TLDR: For a takeout, this is absolutely top notch especially the smoked salmon add on.

alder wood smoked king salmon, blini, brioche, everything bagel brioche
20200718_195513

Great stuff. Not too salty, lightly smoky, firm flesh with a smooth mouthfeel.
20200718_181134

My favorite of the three is the brioche. It’s quite buttery with a light crumb and a paper thin crust.
20200718_181121

20200718_195555

20200718_195616

guindillas | pickled peppers, olive, anchovy
20200718_195727

octopus gallego | marinated octopus, pimenton, steamed potato
as good as the octopus is, the rich and creamy flesh of butterball potato is the real star of the dish to me
20200718_200134

20200718_185540

smoky from the slight char and quite tender
20200718_200215

pan de aceite | olive oil bread, whipped sheep’s milk cheese
Nice olive oil flavor on the bread but it can be softer and more moist on the inside. On the other hand, the thick but spreadable sheep’s milk cheese is bold and tangy. I’m usually not a fan of cheese but this one won me over.
20200718_195916

20200718_185428

striped bass a la pipperada | sweet peppers, tomato, garlic, olive oil, lomo
Delicious. Fish is perfectly cooked with flaky and meaty flesh. The accompanied olive oil emulsified sauce is sweet and tangy with a surprisingly silky mouthfeel.
20200718_200533

20200718_191942

basque cheesecake | harry’s berries strawberry preserves
20200718_200703

20200718_200742

20200718_200804

almond turrón
Almost like a marshmallow studded with crunchy and roasted almonds
20200718_200841

20200718_175011

20200718_175019

It’s a bit sweet for me and I can feel a bit of ice crystals so I suppose they didn’t use their pacojet! Also, it melts quite fast so I suppose there isn’t or enough stabilizers.

Update: After freezing it overnight, the flavor balance is now very good so my perception of this ice cream changed completely. The cold counteracted the initial sweetness quite a bit and an almost floral like vanilla and rich milky flavor are now on the forefront. Every now and then, my palate is reset by hits of salty caramel notes so I keep going back for more! I would be more than happy to get another pint next week.
20200718_175121

16 Likes

Was the ice cream an add-on?
Did your cheesecake ooze?
Lovely plating!

Thanks!

Yup. $10/pint.

Nope. It’s more of a soft and creamy creme brulee texture.

1 Like

@moonboy403 great post but hidden in all that, you generally don’t like cheese? :flushed:

Forgive this rube for not liking the funky smell and taste of feet like bleu cheese or gooey ones like epoisse and camembert. :nauseated_face:

I prefer the more mild ones like mozzarella, burrata, and parmagiano reggiano.

1 Like

Oh so you do like some cheese, just not the smelly funky gooey ones.

The reason why I asked is because other than old first generation Asians I’ve met very few people that dislike cheese and you seem to eat out at many a fine establishment so I figured you’d encountered many cheese carts in your lifetime.

Gah! That elderly label’s coming on strong!

On a more serious note, I’ve certainly encountered many, but I’ve always asked for a dessert substitute unless it’s a composed cheese course which I find much more enjoyable.

Take these two recent ones I had even despite their boldness/aroma:

buffalo milk cheese, mustard greens, apple-pear-quince puree - Saison - delish

tomme dolce(goat’s milk cheese), white alba truffles, black trumpet duxelle, sourdough sauce - Singlethread - absolutely scrumptious and worth every penny even though it was a supplement

5 Likes

@J_L

Week 5: We’re traveling to the hillsides of Italy

First Course: Cavatelli with House-Made Pork and Fennel Sausage and Cavolo Nero

Main Course: Colorado Lamb Chops “Scottadito” with Wild Mushrooms and Grilled Tehachapi Grain Project Polenta
Arugula with Lemon and Olive Oil, Crisp Grissini

Dessert: Gianduja Budino

Add-ons: House-smoked CA King Salmon w/ traditional accompaniments, three types of caviar, truffle brie, cocktails, and the Providence wine list!

10 Likes

Whole Basque Cheesecake is now available.

4 Likes

TLDR: Another excellent takeout dinner from Providence with very generous portions. The three courses plated below are just half portions.

chilled celebrity tomato soup | scallop dumplings, compressed melon, celebrity tomato medley, basil, basil cream
it’s the perfect summer time chilled soup with alternate bites of tangy tomatoes and sweet melon countering the very savory soup. Also, here’s a special shout out for the steamed scallop/cream/egg white mousse. It’s got a very smooth and delicate texture not unlike silken tofu except that it’s bursting with classic bivalve sweetness.

parker house rolls
mine didn’t glisten like @PorkyBelly’s but texture’s quite soft even with a semi-dense structure.

lobsta sauce
emulsification of 1 part lobster roe, 4 part butter, lobster stock. it needs some swirling in my pan to keep the sauce from breaking but EZPZ reheating overall.

flavor? it’s incredibly rich and aromatic…perfect for bread and lobster to bathe in. just look at that glossy sauce!

maine lobster | peeky toe crab, mushroom, ritz crackers
tail and claw are meaty and snappy af. this course is basically an instant winner with the buttery lobsta sauce. i couldn’t bathe in the sauce but my lobster sure did!

of course i dunked this baby in the sauce…

here’s the nitpicking part: i can’t really taste the crab but this stuffing is damn tasty.

secret menu: stuff your bread with the peeky toe crab stuffing!

steamed potato & green beans almondine
mom says i need some greens every meal…

fruit cobbler | murray farms blackberry, andy’s orchard peach cobbler, tahitian vanilla whipped cream

• fruit forward :heavy_check_mark:
  • low sugar :heavy_check_mark:
  • no pectin added :heavy_check_mark:
  • no scrapping of any kind needed :heavy_check_mark:
  • totally forgot to add on the tahitian vanilla whipped cream but ate it straight up after. delish!

vanilla shortbread dipped in chocolate

andes mint

13 Likes

Hahahahaha

i did a BYORLM (rodolphe le meunier) to get that glisten.

3 Likes

ahh…that make sense. I thought Providence forgot to brush mine with egg wash or fat!

3 Likes

Can you please BYOC (condiments) into Father’s Office and film it so we watch the drama?

3 Likes