Providence LA

It’s not the ending that most people wanted but I still thought it was very good on its own. We were just too used to superb screenwriting of past seasons!

1 Like

The last two seasons were almost unwatchable imo

5 Likes

Sticking with the books to the end! Mayne one day ill catch the series!

3 Likes

No it SUCKED! :rage:

2 Likes

Report: fun, clever, delicious!

1 Like

That 'murican unagi looks mighty fine @PorkyBelly

7 Likes
5 Likes

So bummed I cannot do it this week
Love lobster fra diavlo

1 Like

How did you like the truffle menu last week?

Didn’t do it. Not a truffle lover.

3 Likes

TLDR: Yet another week of this…
0f25ee2d869ef533343ffaed0b830712

@Bagel If you’re still on the fence, maybe this might convince you!

salad niçoise | olive oil-poached tuna, niçoise olives, fingerling potato, dijon-shallot vinaigrette
nice and hearty salad. the flavorful yet not-too-salty olives give you pops of salinity. working in tandem with the olives are the sweet and tangy tomatoes playing its role in brightening the salad. texturally, between the crunchy sugar snap peas & red bell peppers, supple soft boiled eggs, and meaty poached tuna, you get the whole darn spectrum here.

poached tuna isn’t my favorite way to enjoy tuna but it’s nicely done here.

bread city | fougasse with niçoise olives and herbs de provence, croutons, rouille

• rouille + croutons + broth = absolute highlight of this meal :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:
  • fougasse = herbaceous + crusty + chewy + saltiness from olives

bouillabaisse | lobster, local crab, mussels, clams, rockfish, john dory, saffron potato
hot damn. this is ariel’s worse nightmare. her friends are insanely delicious and perfectly cooked! i haven’t had john dory cooked this well since…uhhh…providence last served john dory to me! the broth is oceanic liquid crack…oh…i particularly enjoyed the ridiculously plump mussels that taste like it was cooked with white wine.

sorry, are you sebastian?

i’m gonna call you flounder

or are you sebastian?

clafoutis | fig, crème fraîche, port reduction
the clafoutis is rich, eggy, and custardy yet thick. the accompanying crème fraîche, however, lightens the dessert with tanginess while the earthy and peppery port reduction adds another complex layer of acidity. you really need all three elements in each bite for this dessert to sing.

mignardises | apricot & plum jelly
these are like fruit essence. tasty.

Needle bang bang

almond “jello”, orange, nectarine, mango, pluot, goji berry, lychee jelly
finally have a chance to try these! the almond “jello” is nicely almond-y and more custard in texture than actually jello. individually, the fruits don’t taste like much because they’re cut so finely. BUT, everything works in sync with each other oh-so-well and it’s strangely addictive and refreshing especially on this ridiculously hot day! even though it’s only moderately sweet and not having much acidity, i kept digging in bite after bite until absolutely nothing’s left…

17 Likes

Truffle Truffle Truffle… and A Fat Wine Pairing too.

A little late reporting on this one, because we had three En Voyages close together. Don’t you just hate when a restaurant makes a mistake and you’re forced to eat lots of fresh Maine lobster? :blush:

Paccheri Gratiné - Pasta Stuffed w/Black Truffle, Duck, Parmigiano & Ricotta, topped w/Tomato Infused Velouté and a finishing sprinkle of Black Truffle

At this point in the En Voyage series we agreed this was our favorite dish so far! :stuck_out_tongue: :blush: It could’ve been too heavy & rich with the pasta, duck ricotta filling, topped w/velouté & black truffle - but I agree, the infusion of tomato in the sauce cut the richness and the Australian black truffle is earthy but not overwhelmingly truffle-y.:hearts:

Black Truffle Crusted Swordfish - Kandarian Farms Cranberry Beans, Tomato, Kale, Summer Squash, Genovese Basil, Black Truffle Vinaigrette, EVOO

Someone knows how to cook Swordfish! :hearts: Wakeup @PorkyBelly. I know how much you love beans - this was such a good combo that I’ve already tried my hand at duplicating it. But can I say something weird? The chefs at Providence really know how to do good things with celery. There were celery leaves in the bean salad, but it was more than that, like they dressed the salad in a light, savory celery juice. Lovely.

Ciabatta

Chef Cimarusti brushed over this by kinda’ gesturing towards the loaf quickly saying The bread service is Ciabatta, then moved on. He was right… it was Ciabatta.

Pairing - Village Levely Bourgogne (Burgundy) Pinot Noir / Loire Valley Chenin Blanc / Hungarian Tokaji

I always think it’s me when I just don’t get something that others do, like wine pairing. But now I’m thinking it’s because not many really know what they’re doing? The somm at Providence so does! The proof was I didn’t even especially love these wines on their own, but each pairing with each course was spot-on perfection.:hearts: Another nice thing is the somm doesn’t have a set plan - so I was able to discuss preferences, etc. He liked your idea of the light, red burgundy with the swordfish @beefnoguy. $75 for two 750ml and one 500ml, plus as @beefnoguy put it, you’re paying for “the thoughtfulness of the somm’s picks to pair“.

A Truffle Pig Finds a Chocolate Truffle

Psst… it was actually a Corn Macaron, not really a pig.

Black Truffle Crème Caramel Sprinkled w/Maldon Sea Salt & Paired w/Hungarian Tokaji Dessert Wine

I also thought the black truffle detracted from the smooth texture & flavor of crème caramel. It was kinda’ rough and tasted a bit burnt. The Tokaji was perfect and my favorite on its own. My dessert plating still sucks. If anyone can find this plate below I will give you my pet goldfish.

It seemed apropos to watch the latest escapades of that blood sucking Hungarian Count while indulging in sweet Hungarian wine and a Truffle dessert. :drop_of_blood:

I was on the fence about whether or not I actually like truffles. But the OP aka Moonboy403 sparked my interest by saying something like A 3-course Takeout Truffle Dinner is something you won’t get everyday. Then Chef Cimarusti added to my interest by saying what a treat it is to have winter truffles with summer squash & tomatoes - the joys of the modern technology that provided these inoculated tree truffles from the Southern Hemisphere for a summer dinner in L.A. So, I figured with 3-courses I should be able to decide once and for all if I like truffles. Well, I certainly liked these mellow, earthy delights. :hearts:

Thanks Providence!

7 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

The paccheri and swordfish are so good right? :heart:

1 Like

So good. :hearts::blush::hearts:

1 Like

that swordfish and beans dish looks so good, if only there weren’t any beans…

much better

4 Likes

Wow! Have you ever had your IQ tested?

is your goldfish house trained?

dibbern - black forest

3 Likes

Man, you’re good! I searched and searched and only came up with a photo and no seller on Pinterest! Yes, my goldfish is house trained and does tricks… but he does occasionally spit water at you if you’re not giving him enough attention.

1 Like

I found a local seller. You have another pet fish to giveaway?

1 Like

I have an African aquatic frog named Indugu?

2 Likes