Providence

Though it’s also hard not to get a few bottles of aged Rieslings…I see a few I’d definitely get if I were visiting to support them and try the food too!

1 Like

Aged Riesling? What’s the general flavor profile? I’m trying to explore Rieslings but the last one I had was a bottle of Stirm Riesling and it had an oak flavor like a watery Chardonnay… I don’t like Chardonnay.

P.S. I hope we’re able to keep this discussion here, if not, there’s now a Riesling thread. The last time I wrote about Riesling in a food thread it triggered someone to request the topic be split into a Riesling thread and there it sits… empty. This was a food thread with jokes, Asian knife fighting and references to Dune but Riesling was unbearable. I liked the jokes, Asian knife fighting and references to Dune. Just sayin’.

2 Likes

You’re welcome @Starchtrade. FYI, if I was going to get it again I would ask for a skosh of extra sauce, but sauce is my weakness.

2 Likes

My order for my last was for 1. You can still place a Sat order for 1 on Tock right now. Might’ve been a glitch for you?

1 Like

Still superbly aromatic but with a bit of funk. Make sure you go for the dry ones like kabinett.

1 Like

There are quite a number of different styles. The only ones I’ve some exposure to are Alsace from the NE of France, and German (mostly Mosel region). Generally Alsace ones are quite dry, and it’s hard to beat a good Alsace Grand Cru, but an aged German Riesling with enough residual sugar and acidity could be light fun summer drinking that can take you into dessert (or literally just pair with dessert).

From Providence’s menu riesling, domaine weinbach, grand cru, “cuvée ste. catherine l’inédit” 2015 is a very good one and has some age. It’s one of the top producers in Alsace, and is very food friendly. High acidity, but holds up to a good number of cuisine styles…including Hainan Chicken, curry oxtail claypot, Vietnamese pork belly claypot (with fermented fish sauce). I had it with salt pepper crab, salt pepper scallops, and a few other Cantonese banquet type dishes, though a 2017 bottling and a non cuvee version.

Generally with Riesling with some age? Lime, lemon, pineapple, stone fruits, and with age you may get some honey or confectionary sugar aromas as it comes back up in temperature in the glass. A ten year German Riesling (good producer) e.g. Spatlese could be a bit more lighter bodied, lower alcohol content, off dry, and you could do something like calamari with a light Thai spicy kick, and even scallops with a tomato base, and then clean your palate and have the remainder with panna cotta or a light cheesecake.

Both Alsace Rieslings and German Riesling will hold up nicely to the BBQ themed food with the spices in the Gumbo and shrimp. Yum!

They say Keller is legendary/unicorn producer for German Riesling. For a baseline 2018 keller, rheinhessen on the menu, that seems like a good starter (trocken is dry).

1 Like

Yeah, one of the things I like about Providence is you can order for one. But you’re right I must have gotten glitched.

Good stuff @beefnoguy! I could go for all of that… just not oak. Thanks!

1 Like

Looks like a pretty dark classic NOLA roux. Too bad about the spillage.

2 Likes

I was hoping you’d weigh-in. You have good gumbo eye.

I might have to BYOTupperware tomorrow.

1 Like

Or drive home like captain slow in a suzuki liana

1 Like

Does it have the residual sweetness of the Germans you mentioned? A little sweet with the dry would be preferable. We’re getting the dinner again. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Scratch that @beefnoguy… I just looked at the price. I’m the only wine drinker in this duo.

Don’t worry @Starchtrade. I talked to them. It won’t happen again. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

…and that’s what we did.

barbecue carolina shrimp, creole spices, worcestershire, heavy cream, butter & white wine, house-made baguette, creole butter
I was looking forward to this after seeing @TheCookie’s report. The sauce was tangy and white wine-forward compared to what I had at mr. B’s bistro, but it was still buttery, spicy, deliciousness. I ate the shit out of it, whole baguette, shells and all.
Pro tip: reheat the baguette at 350 for about 7 minutes.

Double-sealed for your protection, thanks @TheCookie. Drove home like @linus after bingo night and not a drop was spilled.

gumbo ya ya - mary’s organic chicken, grassy bar oysters, andouille sausage, crab meat, cajun spices, scallion
I thought this was perfectly seasoned with no saltiness issues, with plenty of dark, rich, broth. Everything was perfectly cooked, I was impressed with how juicy and tender the white meat chicken was. the only thing missing were the lumps of crab meat @TheCookie got.

banana bread pudding, caramel-rum sauce

pecan pralines

14 Likes

That white rice looks absolutely immaculate. Look at that shine!

How was the bread pudding? Not so :fire:?

1 Like

the long grain rice was delicious. i wish there was more, had to supplement with some japanese short grain #fusion

2 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks for the nice report and pics! :slight_smile: Sounds delicious! (Although that is a bit shocking you didn’t get any crab, but it should come with it normally?)

1 Like

thanks, there were shredded pieces of meat in the broth, just no lumps of claw meat.

2 Likes