Providence

5 Likes

I hate peak summer SoCal tomatoes #SugarBombsTooSweetDevoidofAcid woe is us :expressionless:

That a great looking paratha

another delicious meal from providence.

insalata di frutti di mare - salt spring mussels, manila clams, wild squid, spanish octopus
packed with perfectly cooked seafood (no surprise), this was very bright and refreshing, great start.

shrimp scampi - wild carolina shrimp, tomato, basil, garlic, penne rigate pasta
this wasn’t the classic shrimp scampi with just garlic, butter and wine, providence added a delicious shrimp stock and compote of celebrity tomato to the mix. i just wish there was more of it. it also came with a very generous portion of shrimp (i counted 9) and nice and al dente penne.

schiacciata all’olio flatbread
one of my favorite breads so far, this was like a cross between a focaccia and a crispy mozza pizza crust. fantastic. the only problem was there wasn’t enough sauce left over to fare la scarpetta, which made for a very sorrowful @PorkyBelly. i’m going to have to start hoarding sauces like @TheCookie for these kind of situations.

torta della nonna - pasta frolla, lemon and vanilla scented custard, pignoli

chocolate zeppole al forno

11 Likes

Is sad uni-man standing on a bed of truffles?

1 Like

sorrowful uni is standing on a bed of truffles on top of a bed of chawanmushi. bonus points if you can name the restaurant.

2 Likes

I’m going to have to guess Shunji?!

2 Likes

1000 @PorkyBelly credits for @aaqjr.

2 Likes

This. The videos are great selling tools. When I read Shrimp & Penne I was like, meh, until seeing the video. Hello! And that bread! Yep, you could see in the video extra sauce was required to get your fare la scarpetta groove on. The only reason we didn’t order is I went to Shin Sushi. :slightly_smiling_face: The Torta della Nonna and the Petit Four look great. How were they?

1 Like

The videos get me all the time :rage:

1 Like

the torta della nonna was fine, it was like a custard tart, i would have liked it to be a little more lemon-y and vanilla-y.
the zeppole al forno was very much like a pate a choux but with a softer shell.

1 Like

I’m only skimming the posts since I’m “behind,” but is this an earnest comment? I had an Early Girl tomato in Sonoma during the summer and it was so (wonderfully) sweet that I was like, “I only know can fully understand the tomato being a fruit!” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like your post @Sgee. I don’t agree, haha, but it’s interesting reading about people’s tomato preferences.

1 Like

I agree. I luv sweet tomatoes. But it’s a fruit because it has seeds.

@paranoidgarliclover @TheCookie, it was a tongue in cheek comment. Better to have ripe sweet tomatoes than the other way around.

But seriously I have to toss in one mediocre supermarket tomato when making pasta sauce, lest I want to end up with tomato jam :joy:

3 Likes

Thai menu was fantastic.
The flavors just burst off our plates.
Such wonderful herbs for the tomato salad and black cod.
We all loved the lobster/shrimp dumplings and the Roti Paratha was outstanding.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. I better get to ordering if I still can.

hi @TheCookie, santa barbara spot prawn crackers seasoned with prawn salt :heart_eyes:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFgTvSZAQBM/

5 Likes

I must have. Are these part of this week’s En Voyage?

1 Like

Yes.
They go on the incredible Thai Tomato salad.

3 Likes

Oh goodie! I ordered for tomorrow. :partying_face:

2 Likes