Providence Update in Photos

Yikes, I did subtract a zero. Good thing I didn’t send a customer with a proforrma with the lower price and then be obligated to deliver as agreed.

Congrats on the good deal on the wines. 1st growths and DRC pricing was plain nuts. Price was going up 20%+ while on the water to HKG.

I’m pretty sure corkage was recently raised to $50. Ouch

Just came back from taking advantage of Providence’s annual anniversary menu promotion. Damn fine food and excellent service. Although not the most inexpensive outing, it’s a relative bargain considering what is presented to the table.

Mojito and ginger beer spheres.

Nasturtium scallop rice tacos

Oyster cracker

Wagyu cigar

Fluke sashimi

Scallop, mussels, and clams in shiso broth

A5 Wagyu with white asparagus and fava bean

Kawa-ishi

Mignardises

11 Likes

Too bad they were disappointing but love that DRC line up nonetheless

1 Like

Had a wonderful lunch at Providence today. It was my first time eating there and was a surprise birthday gift. Huzzah!

I have wanted to go for quite some time, so the expectations of my anticipation were very high, and wouldn’t ya know it, it was pretty dang great. The dining room is definitely stuffy-esque-er than many other LA restaurants, but for the patrons, that meant anything from nice business attire to an unwrinkled Tommy Bahama shirt. The staff was very attentive and refreshingly friendly.

I got the 4-course lunch menu and shared the a la cart items that First Lady Mochi ordered.

As mentioned in this thread, so many amuse bouchez! (Even for lunch!) We had everything that @djquinnc pictured above (Mojio spheres, scallop rice tacos & oyster crackers) plus a foie gras ravioli with aged balsamic that savory-punched me in my mother loving mouth. All were great. I also had the wonderful Fluke Sashimi and Scallops that @djquinnc expertly pictured, so I won’t duplicate efforts.

Here’s where we deviate from what’s already been talked about in this thread…

SALTED SANTA BARBARA SPOT PRAWN
Wonderful table-side presentation. The prawn is pronged and dusted from its salt womb and split lengthwise, i.e., hot dog. A few dabs of olive oil later, and it’s placed in front of you, along with a bagged lemon so as to not drop any seeds and accidentally grow a lemon tree. Surprisingly sweet in a wonderful way. A favorite.

BRITISH COLUMBIA WILD KING SALMON
I forget all of the details, but there was a lovely asparagus and some tasty 'shrooms. Wonderful bite when you got a bit of all the components together. It all felt delicate and refined and each time I took a bite, I was like “Yes. I like this. This tastes very good. Yes.”

UNI EGG (sea urchin, champagne beurre blanc, brioche croutons)
I gotta find the hen that lays these and then find a state that allows humans and chickens to join in holy matrimony and move there to live happily ever after. This was a wonder. A wonder, I say! And I think @J_L would appreciate this UNI-que presentation…

AUSTRALIAN BLACK SUMMER TRUFFLE
What a g’day for me. Since we only did one tasting menu (which took a bit of finagling), we sprung for the truffle ($80 for 10oz), which you can get a’top pasta, risotto or an omelet. We opted for the pasta. The picture makes the serving look a bit smaller than it actually was because there as a lot of pasta. I’m not very cultured in truffles, so this was a true treat. You could smell the truffles from the box, and boy, what a smell. Loved every bite.

STRAWBERRY DESSERT
A great dessert featuring special guest star: pickled strawberries!

Overall, I thought it was a fantastic meal at a place that is worthy of the accolades and praise it receives. Oh, and special shoutout to the bread service!

10 Likes

Happy birthday, @President_Mochi!

Thank’ya!

1 Like

I think you mean ten shaves, not 10 oz. Or even 10 grams, which would be about a third of an ounce. Great looking meal!

Now that’s a great birthday surprise. Somebody definitely loves you. Must be that funny wit of yours. Thanks for sharing. Happy birthday @President_Mochi!

What a fantastic write up. I hope the stars align one day so that I can enjoy a Friday lunch there sometime. That table side spot prawn situation is amazing, as is that foie gras ravioli. My usual strategy on the last few visits is to get the shorter form menu and add supplements. They are quite generous with the truffles. Glad to see you had such a wonderful time.

@matthewkang You’re probably right that it’s grams. It felt off typing it, but I went with it cuz I’m a bad boy and I do what I want. They did mention that they cooked truffles into the sauce in addition to the shaves, though.

@TheCookie Indeed. I’m a lucky turd. Thanks!

@djquinnc And what a grand strategy it is. Felt like a good way to taste a lot of the menu without springing for the dinner. Still pricey, of course, but such a great experience.

2 Likes

Happy belated Birthday :slight_smile:

Great report back.

1 Like