Providence

I like how he promotes and gives credit to his chefs.

6 Likes

Love those videos.

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

3 Likes

This Week: A New England Lobster Bake!

@TheCookie

First Course: Little Gem Wedge Salad with Tomatoes, Applewood-Smoked Bacon, and Blue Cheese

Main Course: Maine Lobster, Steamer Clams, Mussels, Linguiça, New Potatoes, Sweet Corn, and Drawn Butter
Parker House Rolls

Dessert: Blueberry Hand Pies with Whipped Vanilla Crème Fraîche

9 Likes

Every time I try to get out they pull me back in!!!

4 Likes

I am tempted to also drop by Connie & Ted’s to pick up some Chowda’ and/or Stuffies as a go with.

3 Likes

Must. Ignore. Lobsta.

1 Like

brilliant bang bang

2 Likes

I’m not a big fan of mole but I wanted to see if providence could change my mind…

ceviche - octopus, shrimp, scallop, avocado, jicama, cucumber, pickled red onions, serrano, tehachapi grain project tortillas
delicious, bright and refreshing. nicely balanced and not too acidic, the seafood was “cooked” just right. loved the addition of the roasted shrimp chili oil. tortillas were excellent.

dos toros carniceria chicharrón, chipotle crema
fried pork rinds, what’s not to like?

tehachapi grain project green dent corn tortillas

grilled vermilion rockfish in banana leaf, kabocha squash, mole, charred pickled habanada peppers, roasted pepitas
i got hit by waves of flavors, first a bit of spice, followed by acid, nuttiness, and then bitterness and black licorice on the finish. with all the competing flavors plus the vinegary, heat from the habanada, the fish kind of got lost. did it change my mind on mole? not really, still don’t love it, especially with the licorice-y taste.

roasted pineapple tres leches cake, coconut vanilla meringue, passion fruit sorbet
this had a weird bitterness to it from the pineapple(?) the cake in the middle could have soaked up some more of the sauce.

churros
i may or may not have eaten these first. #qualitycontrol

concha

10 Likes

Have you had the Coloradito mole at Guelaguetza? You might like that flavor profile better. @Dommy agree?

2 Likes

In all fairness to @PorkyBelly… My brother hates all Moles as well… LOL!! There is a bitter element… to any mole… from the char of the chiles to the blending od the sesame seeds. Sometimes it’s well balanced… but it’s always there. Dona Angela did a recipe very early on that uses Ritz Crackers… which honestly I think is perhaps the most genius addition to any mole. I have yet to try it… but will when the weather gets cooler…

As for a licorice note… Anise isn’t unusual in Mexican cooking… but I never had it in Mole (it would turn me off too)… it sounds like someone got way too fancy with the spices here…

–Dommy!

5 Likes

could it be hoja santa?

It’s possible… In a traditional mole though… those compounds would be pretty cooked down… But that is the thing about restaurants… there is a lot of food ‘tricks’ going on.

Didn’t the Boomtown Rats have a song about not liking Moles?

3 Likes

ROFL. (Sir) Bob Geldof may not be familiar to everyone on this board. Ciao Bob, on the other hand…

2 Likes

Great report @PorkyBelly

I’m picking mine up in a few hours.

Noted your remarks about the anise taste in the mole and bitter flavors in the tres leches dessert — while passion fruit is seasonal, it’s a bit much to combine w pineapple imho. I think coconut sorbet would’ve been a better choice.

Too late for me to cancel, oh well, at least I’m trying to support Providence with my $$$.

10/16/20 Update: Thanks to @PorkyBelly and @rlw for their observations. I ended up really enjoying this meal by using the anise-scented mole sparingly and added lime juice for balance. Since the mole seemed to go quite well with the kabocha squash from Providence, I continued using it over cooked acorn squash and spaghetti squash in other meals – finally finished the mole tub today.

As for the passionfruit sorbet, instead of eating that with the tres leches, I had it as a palate cleanser/intermezzo instead.

I’m hoping Providence will do more ethnic themed meals including Cuban. Love their execution, creativity and risk taking.

4 Likes

funny enough, in the video they did use coconut sorbet, but I got passion fruit sorbet with bits of coconut in it. I guess they ran out?

1 Like

Recounting a Voyage Before Embarking on Another.

En Voyage Thailand :sailboat:

Sure @beefnoguy, I’ll pair a German white wine with my Thai Seafood. Why not? :grimacing: Okay, do you do this for a living or have you thought of a side biz?! The medium-sweet, honey, lemon, spicy, holds up to and compliments all the Thai flavors. Great choice! Edit: This is something I read last week when selecting this wine but forgot. “Alsace was once occupied by Germans (maybe more than once) hence the strong German influence in the food/culture/and wines. The Riesling grape which came from Germany, got planted in France and that is the only place in France where you will find that.” So this is technically a French wine… sorta.

Chilled Heirloom Tomato Salad w/Soured Tomato & Fish Sauce Vinaigrette, Chili Fish Sauce, Lime, Coconut Oil, Roasted Peanuts, Salad Herbs (thai & basil, cilantro, mint) & Prawn Salted Santa Barbara Spot Prawn Cracker

Yep @Sgee, the red tomatoes are late summer sweet, and they brilliantly tarted them up with the soured tomato & fish sauce vinaigrette. I wish they’d market the spot prawn crackers, because I’m imagining the possibilities of things to do with them or to eat them right out of a bag. :hearts:

Local Black Cod, Lobster Shrimp & Scallop Dumplings, Green Curry, Charred Eggplant & Long Beans, Maitake Mushrooms, Drizzle of Chili Fish Sauce, Thai & Lemon Basil

The reheat, texture & flavor of the cod was perfection. The dumplings yummy! Vegetables on point. But the sauce! Shut up! Chef Cimarusti or Tristan or someone over there is a master saucier! :heart_eyes:

Roti Paratha

Chef Asapahu perfectly describes it “almost like a hybrid between a croissant & naan”. Let the sopping begin! :blush:

Raum Mitr - Coconut Sorbert in a Chocolate Shell, Chestnuts in Tapioca, Taro Dumplings, Passion Fruit Jelly, Jackfruit, Coconut Meat, Mystery Red Sticky Things or Rubies, Tapioca Pearls, Leftover Salad Herbs (basil & mint)

Sure it’s unusual, creative and very pretty, but taste? I’m trying to figure out if it’s one on the best desserts I’ve ever had… because it’s one of the best desserts I’ve ever had! This was the first time I was bitter about having to share… and I kinda‘ only sorta’ did. So unexpected. :hearts:

Khanom Bueang - Crispy Crepe, French Meringue, Candied Egg Yolk

Bonus round…

Thai Thighs - Green Curry, Coconut Soup, Lemongrass Paste, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Thai Curry Powder, Ground Galangal, Dried Lemongrass, Chili Fish Sauce, Peanuts, Lime, Scallions & Fresh Herbs

I disobeyed Chef who gave these instructions “Everything we give you you should put on the plate.” I felt like he was talking directly to me. :relaxed: Well, I didn’t obey and his sauces and condiments went great on these home baked thighs!

Khop Khun Kha!

15 Likes

i’m still thinking about that fish, dumpling, roti, and dessert, so good right?

those thai thighs look great too, i wish i saw that earlier.

2 Likes

I didn’t see Thai chix thighs until @TheCookie ‘s post

1 Like