PSA: Go see the City of Gold documentary when it releases

I get his point and I agree. He could just as well add uni, pork belly, and bone marrow to that “certain kind of restaurant’s” menu. It’s the truffle oil of old.
Totally overused to mask lack of creativity. But then again, people love ordering dishes with uni, pork belly, bone marrow, and egg in them so restaurant economics win out. Someone should make s dish containing all 4 of those ingredients as a tongue in cheek dish.

I would hope the egg is a far smaller upcharge than uni/pork belly/marrow though.

His point was that he personally does not eggs, ever, in any context. That by chance they’re currently a fad was an aside.

He also mentions that egg is the go to garnish these days so he is also speaking to that fad.

“People used to put foie gras or caviar on stuff, and now it’s like the egg is the go-to garnish.”

Yeah, but the question was:

Newsweek: In the movie, we see you talking about boiled ox penis. We see you talking about hagfish—which, at least to me, sounds disgusting. And we see you munching on grasshoppers. Is there anything you categorically won’t eat?

JG: Yeah, I’m not fond of eggs. …

1 Like

This reminds me of how Andrew Zimmern (he of Bizarre Foods fame) won’t eat walnuts.

I have a friend for whom walnuts are like broken glass. Reaction to an acid in the peel.

Mmmmmm. Tongue and cheek…

1 Like

Or durian.

I watched this documentary last night. I really liked it.
Great soundtrack and a nice look into J Gold’s life and how he got where he is today.

I used to say that.

Until I had fresh-off-the-tree durian in Indonesia. Totally different experience:

It was slightly garlicky, chocolatey, gorgeously velvety incredibleness. Apparently the locals say you have to go to the durian tree grove and just wait. When you hear the “thud” of a ripe durian fruit falling as it hits the ground, find that guy, and pop it open right there. Furthermore, you can’t “cheat” and shake the tree to make the durian fall - that fruit has to come to you of its own volition.

From what I gathered, durian gets its “rank” from the inevitably rapid ripening process as it’s transported from the fruit’s point of origin. And like all “very” fermented-smelling foods, VERY ripe durians have their own legion of fans as well. I’m not one of them. But I do like the right-off-the-tree variety.

Oh, and to keep it in LA/OC, Saigon Flavor on Valley Blvd. (San Gabriel) makes a killer durian milkshake.

3 Likes

At the Landmark Pico last Monday…

2 Likes

I was referring to the fact that Zimmern has tried it a couple of times and can’t do it.

I personally haven’t tried it, but I’ll try just about anything once. Thanks for the tip on the milkshake. I’ll have to give that a try.

durian ice cream is also very, very common.

i can’t do anything durian related =X

it tastes a lot, lot better than it smells. if you don’t think of it as a fruit, it helps.

then again, that smell. one summer after the old wat thai thing, someone left some in my
car. oy gevalt.

3 Likes

Fresh jackfruit has a hint of the durian aroma but not nearly as strong so it is much more accessible and actually quite delicious.

1 Like

Haha, you still have not experienced the grand crus of durians…