Punjabi Dhaba (Bakersfield) has moved

They said they were going to be closed for a permit issue (secondhand info) about a month ago… still offline. The canopy and tables are still there, but both trucks gone.

I don’t see any reason why they should not reopen – they seemed to love what they do and they had great success. Maybe this will result in bigger and better things. All I know is it’s been tough having them gone. They were one of the truly elite places in Bakersfield.

I say “one of…” really there’s only one other that’s all time, unforgettable, and literally worth coming from LA just to try.

El Puesto.

And El Puesto isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, in fact they’re on the home stretch toward opening a bigger, better location that will have an expanded menu with more mariscos options and craft cocktails.

For some reason my El Puesto thread didn’t get the fanfare the Punjabi Dhaba thread did. Punjabi Dhaba legitimately became an internet sensation. Damned if El Puesto doesn’t deserve the same. Maybe I just need to goad people into going by saying it’s the best in CA like I did for the Dhaba?

Anyway, while we’re… let’s just say, “between meals” at Punjabi Dhaba, do yourself a favor and stop by El Puesto, either the current location on Mt Vernon/Brundage (not glamorous) or the new location on California Ave (will be much nicer, easier to stop by when passing thru town, should be bigger and better in every way, opening date TBA)

I’ll update when/if Dhaba comes back.

12 Likes

I loved Punjabi Dhaba and hope they make a comeback.
I’ve got El Puesto bookmarked for my next stop over!
Someone had recommended Porkchop and Bubba’s BBQ on this board and I’ve had some tasty food there, too.

That was me, they aren’t as good as when they first opened. Still great for around town but El Puesto is the stop to make. I think it’s going to be on some kind of viral listicle ride at some point here, probably with the second location. It looks like it’s going to be actually really, really nice atmosphere. The current location actually does look like it was airlifted from a random stop off Mex 1like this

1 Like

Punjabi Dhaba has gloriously returned in a brand new location at the Bear Mtn.Truck Stop exit right off the 99 and within sight of the grapevine. Perfect place to fuel up after leaving Bako or westslope mountain destinations north. A little hard to find, it’s across the street from the Chevron kind of behind the empty Harvest Steakhouse building.

The proprietress alluded to some difficulties with their landlord at the previous location on Union but said they want to expand into something bigger and more permanent here (maybe take over the steakhouse?) They’ve put a bunch of booths outside under a shade structure with a bunch of fans and swamp coolers going. As an angeleno, I find the new spot massively more convenient.

Had a refreshing mango lassi, chicken curry, muttar paneer, raita and the best roti around. Food as great as ever, very reasonably priced and the same nice folks. Don’t skip the perfectly balanced rice pudding for dessert.

I can’t think of any Indian place in LA that I like as much as this.

7 Likes

OMG! Thank god they re-opened. I would have cried if I was all the way in Bako and this place was closed. The only saving grace of that town.

1 Like

I am simply bowled over by how great Punjabi Dhaba is.

Who in their right mind coulda thunk that this nondescript truck, parked in a dusty, abandoned field next to a convenience store, off a poorly-trafficked exit near the Grapevine, would serves up some of the most tasty, delicious food in Southern California! One peek inside the truck and you’ll likely see food made from scratch by the nicest people who know and love the cuisine. Punjabi Dhaba is a completely Jim Leff-era Chowhound find, in the best sense.

The Punjabi khadi pakora and desi chicken curry were exemplary. The roti was freshly made and piping hot. Even the decadent mango lassi here should deserve an award of some sort.

The objective of my pilgrimage…

Lucky local mascot near the adjacent outdoor dining area…

Sunset to accompany my wait for the food… (And believe me when I say it’s truly worth the wait!)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Punjabi Dhaba
16020 Costajo Rd.
Bakersfield, CA 93313
Open 9AM-8:30PM every day, except closed on Wednesdays
Cash only, folks!

6 Likes

Oligatory Bakobangbang at El Puesto…

After a drive-by of the original Brundage location (no parking and checking out the 102-degrees outside seating sitch LOL), we hastily made a command decision to instead try their newer sister location: El Puesto Cocina y Cantina on California Ave.

Overall, I liked it. Maybe I ordered wrong, and maybe I shoulda gone to the OG location, but I found the food here to be rather middle-of-the-road. Mixed drinks were so-so. Decor and service were really bright and friendly, though. Eager to hear what other FTCers think of El Puesto in future visits…

El Puesto Cocina y Cantina
3700 California Ave., Suite 100
Bakersfield, CA 93309

After-meal seafood meal at Long John Silver’s #DoublePortionClamsStripsAreDaBest

6 Likes

Finally made my way back to Bako for “work”, really just needed to visit my love Punjabi Dhaba. I was picking this place up almost weekly for 6 months before I changed jobs. Glad they moved actually, bit more convenient for my ride back to the coast. Sad they were all out of Paneer. I got the chicken curry and some sort of Indian squash dish, rice, and of course roti. All delish and spicy as ever. Need to visit soon for paneer.

3 Likes

Made it to Punjabi Dhaba on my way back from Paso Robles yesterday. Food was great. Very nice folks. Concerning part, they were extremely concerned about it being too spicy for me. Worse yet, the owner was greatly concerned that I wasn’t aware that the kadhi pakora (which was outstanding, BTW) used yogurt and wanted to make sure I understood that and was ok with it. So, apparently someone has freaked out over discovering that there was dairy in vegetarian food :roll_eyes:

Rice; Sabji of the day: aloo gobi; kadhi pakora

8 Likes

I’m streaming “Lidia Celebrates America: Flavors That Define Us” on PBS and they featured this restaurant as one of the profiles! nice!

1 Like