Punta Cabras, Santa Monica 2018

We went last night. Sat at the bar, where you can order from both menus. I really liked the space–obviously a completely different feel from the last spot but it felt well-designed they did a good job making it so it can work well both as a casual first date spot (taqueria, bar) or more special dinner spot.

We tried the frozen “Don’t Bother Me, I’m Local” drink, which was as unsugary as a frozen drink gets (that is to say–still a little sweet, but definitely alcoholic with some more subtle flavors). Happily, it appears that while the place still pays homage to the current LA trend for super expensive cocktails with a few “premium” $18 concoctions, most drinks on the menu are $11.

From the new menu, we ordered the Punta Cabras Salad ($13), the tempura squash blossom taco ($6), and the (not fried) lobster taco ($9). The lobster taco was the clear standout, going really well with the spicy pineapple salsa that is a holdover from the last place.

From the old menu, we ordered the fish taco ($4.50), shrimp taco ($5), and cauliflower tostada ($5.50). While still delicious, I personally felt that without the salsa (pineapple or tomatillo), the fried tacos didn’t quite have enough flavor–they were still good, but for I remember TPC tacos absolutely blowing away Ricky’s, Taconazo, et al, and these didn’t necessarily do that. The cauliflower tostada, on the other hand, was exactly as remembered–super pickled and delicious.

When we were there, someone in the restaurant ordered the Pig’s Head, which looked fun.

Obviously, it’s not super cheap anymore, though if you are focused on ordering you can probably be satiated for 10-15 bucks.

3 Likes

What time were you there? I think we were there around 8:00-8:30, and I wonder if we sat near each other…

Nah we went right after work–around 630

Do you ever go to a place beloved by FTC, and someone stares at you, and you lock eyes and you both smile a little and look away, but keep stealing glances at each other, and you wonder to yourself, “Are universes clashing, or are we just being weird??”

1 Like

FlirTyCabras

2 Likes

I actually always wonder if they’re also on FTC! :wink:

2 Likes

LOVE the reboot of TPC.

The taqueria has everything the old place had (excellent seafood tacos, coctales, tostadas and tortillas) PLUS a whole new full bar and full plate menu. Lobster taco was excellent.
Chef Daniel’s new dishes that we sampled were terrific:
Salsa Susan - 6 salsa’s and chips
Squash Blossom “Costras” - never had a costra before really yummy
Red Snapper (pan roasted in a green curry sauce over fresh avocado and tomato) AMAZING dish
AND a suburb and beautiful dessert (I don’t usually like dessert but this was special) - Peanut Butter
S’Mores in a glass

8 Likes

Tried the taqueria for the first time at this location. It was just as good as, or better, than it was at the old place. I think they bumped up the prices a bit, but I’d argue the taqueria quality has had a bump as well. Arguably one of the very best tacos/taquerias in the city.

Also tried the taqueria.
Glad to live close to Ricky’s.

Enjoyed a quick lunch there recently…

2 Likes

More power to you.

I like Ricky’s too, and his prices are better.

That said, if you liked TPC before, they’re just as good as they were, but their hand made tortillas took a big step up, and their kitchen’s execution has been professionalized meaning the breading is crisper and their produce/salsas seem fresher.

None of which takes a thing away from Ricky’s, which is as great as ever.

1 Like

The environs are also very… West LA?

The taqueria felt like a poke shop.

1 Like

I’d say more Santa Monica than undifferentiated West LA. :wink:

I live relatively close and am glad to have it nearby. If I lived near Ricky’s, I’d be thrilled. But the only thing I like a Ricky’s is the fish taco (I haven’t enjoyed their other fried seafood nearly as much), and at least Puntas Cabras has non-fried options and is open very late.

Edit: so I went tonight (again) w/ a friend. Scallop tostada was excellent, but the fish taco was meh and the steak taco actually quite a bit of gristle. I think I’ll stick w/ the shrimp and scallops at the taqueria…

1 Like

FYI I tried to go for lunch today and they were closed with a note on the doors saying they’re having an issue. Hopefully they open back up soon.

Not sure why it took them a month to respond why they were closed.

1 Like

Ugh this is sad news indeed.

Once your south of Santa Barbara. It’s all L.A.

Has anyone been to Mírame? New brick and mortar spot featuring Punta Cabras’ Joshua Gil.

https://la.eater.com/2020/8/28/21406158/mirame-joshua-gil-modern-mexican-restaurant-alta-california-beverly-hills-profile

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

It’s as good as advertised

1 Like