Qin West - Pork Mo

5 Likes

When they first opened the Mo was kind of dry. No anymore. Really good .
Liang Pi is amazing too.

2 Likes

Im def a fan of the Westwood location -they are pretty consistantly good and They sure know how to pack food to go as well.

That is looking very moist. I have strayed away from these as well (not Qin West specifically) because the times I have ordered these tend to be dry and stringy.

Do they offer other meat options?

I felt the same way. But today was different.
They have a spicy beef Mo as well.

Is it wrong that I want to eat this with the mustard from Langer’s?

3 Likes

Good call!

Thanks for the reminder that Qin West was still around. Hadn’t been in a couple of years.

We had the liang pi, 3 plate cold appetizers, and beef noodle soup.

Liang pi (not pictured) was different from the ones we are more accustomed to as these were not starch noodles but seemed to be wheat noodles. However, still had great mala flavor with a vinegar and garlicky punch. Portion size was gigantic.

3 Plate cold appetizers came with crushed cucumbers, beef tendon, and pig ear. It’s nice to get pig ear and tendon as it’s harder to find on the west side. Pretty standard but still enjoyed it quite thoroughly.

Beef noodle soup, looked like knife cut noodles in a beef broth. Broth was relatively simple with a great beef/soy flavor and not as strong as the taiwanese versions with either chinese medicine or spice notes. Noodles were on point and the beef was soft and tender.

Will definitely be back in our rotation. Cash only and no tip required which is a bonus

3 Likes

So glad you enjoyed it - I love going there. About the noodles for Liang Pi: I believe traditionally (Shaanxi style) can be either wheat/flour OR rice but would love to hear more from others.

1 Like

Usually, it’s made from mung bean starch. Never rice, not in the north.

The “cold skin” noodles are made from wheat, with the gluten removed.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Jim’s right. Liang pi is a northern dish, so no rice.

A general premise when considering the Chinese culinary spectrum: Wheat is grown in the north, and rice is grown in the south. Depending on geography, the chosen starch will reflect what is readily available locally.

1 Like

When I was in China I heard, many times, the following joke/mnemonic for this:
In the South men are short and they grow rice - Southern man is short rice man.
In the North the men are tall and they grow wheat - Northern man is tall noodle man.

1 Like

Yao Ming is a Center from Central China. :smiley:

2 Likes

this is a late response but I was Qin West in Chinatown last Monday and had the Liang Pi and talked to the owner…def rice noodles and the widest ones I’ve seen in LA…perfect! had the “Mo” also…very god, not dry at all!

3 Likes

The large cities in the north outside the northeast did import rice from the south
The yield per m2 of rice is greater than wheat. There were rice growing areas near Beijing to supply the court and officials and the general market
If you can grow rice in Japan with its hilly topography and non tropical climate, you can grow rice elsewhere. But yes the general staple in the birth is wheat although buckwheat , millet, potatoes and maize are not rare (nor is rice). Yams around too but very “country”

2 Likes