Qin West - Westwood

Voila!

4 Likes

Roujiamo is the sandwich. Mantou is a steamed bread, generally not split. The Taiwanese gua bao popularized by David Chang and Eddie Huang is made with a split steamed version of mantou (“bao bun”).

Traditionally (I believe, not an expert), roujiamo is made with a grilled or fried bread, and the last time I had the “Chinese Mo” at Qin West, it was definitely toasted–probably the best part of the sandwich. Surprised it wasn’t toasted (at all?) when you had it. (The reason I didn’t care for it, not that I hated it, was because the filling wasn’t very flavorful.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/wZxjdkA-r1/

Reminds me of Italian tigelle bread, as seen here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/6_cA5XA-uK/

(From Scarpetta for LA Food & Wine 2015.)

1 Like

Mantou is mantou. The bao in gua bao is completely different shape and texture.

Mantuo is plain steam bun. Check out the frozen section at Chinese markets for them

1 Like

Waiting as we text to try the Gulin soup

1 Like

Popped in after trying Baohaus.

I agree, I love the texture of the noodles in liang pi.

The flavor to me is pretty much the Lao Gan Ma sauce. Available at any 99 Ranch, look for the pic of a short haired woman who looks sad and bitter

1 Like

That’s a brand with a bunch of different sauces.

how were the baos?

Solid. Not great and not bad, but kinda missed the mark for me.

(The Chairman)
Missing the richness.
Kinda dry, can barely taste the braise.
A piece of pork?? Should be chopped up sitting happily in it’s juices.
Barely any pickled mustard greens and it’s on the bottom.

(Chicken)
Tasty, but not a fan of it in a gua bao.

That sandwich, sadly, is not so hot.
Try the noodles next time. Liang Pi or one of the soups.
I have also enjoyed cold plate pictured above and the twice cooked pork (ordered extra spicy).

Just realized @JeetKuneBao is not referring to the sandwich at Qin West but to Baohaus.
Please carry on and forgive the interruption.

Which raises the separate question of whether there’s a legal issue between “The Chairman” pork belly bao at Baohaus and “The Chairman” pork belly bao purveyor in the Arts District and SF Tenderloin.

The Chairman was probably not a fan of proprietary law.

2 Likes

Haha

“All the people should partake equally in our collective success. Just some should partake more equally than others.”

a friend dubbed that brand “angry housewife” but that’s actually a man

2 Likes

Qin West

Liuzhou Soup, Before

This is the biggest serving of noodles I have ever seen. It honestly looked like they cooked a box of spaghetti and dumped half of it into my bowl. They tasted like regular spaghetti too. (The pen is for reference, to see how giant the bowl is.). And you get a soup ladle to eat with, not a spoon.

Liuzhou Soup, After

High tide markings indicate I managed to eat an inch of soup.

White girl review:

The broth was good, lightly tangy from vinegar, slightly fishy from river snails, and mildly spicy. There was no Sichuan peppercorn tingle, I don’t know if there ought to be. Maybe I should ask for "Chinese mild"or “Caucasian spicy”. Need to work on the nomenclature. I liked the texture of the vegetables and tofu puffs, and the boiled peanuts added a nice oiliness when eaten with the broth. And ithe soup wasn’t over salted, for which I am grateful.

The craziest thing was all the skinny Chinese men in there, each with a giant bowl of noodles and a full size dinner plate of meat on the side. How do they eat all that? The six-foot German tourist next to me had to return his soup (too spicy) and only managed to eat half of the (mild) replacement bowl.

7 Likes

Where do people park here? that is a tiny parking lot

I don’t know. I found a metered spot right next to it. I’m lucky that way. If I don’t see parking within a few blocks of a place, I just keep driving and go elsewhere.

When I lived in Westwood we mostly biked or walked everywhere.

I usually park illegally when I go to Sunin bakery but then I’m in and out
in 10 minutes.

1 Like