Quesadilla quest/ What's your favorite?

Any particular vendor to hit up at Mercado Olympic? Whenever I go there I get super overwhelmed and just end up finding fresh churros and al pastor spits.

See it’s examples like this that kept me off quesadillas for so long. And I’ve recently learned that a quesadilla does not to be a vat of grease with some cheese on top. Though I bet that Kogi beauty tastes pretty damn good for a bite or two…

As another poster mentioned, it’s less grease and more “pork nectar”. So when you’re done eating it your fingers feel fine but the brown cardboard tray is see-through (and presumably your insides as well).

Either way, it was significantly heavier than say, the Mexicali vampiro.

2 Likes

this is way unconventional, but when i have leftover braised leeks, i like to use them in making quesadillas with some mozzarella and maybe a touch of pesto if i have some. it;s even better if i wait a couple of days and let the leeks sit in a little olive oil. i was inspired by thomas keller’s leek bread pudding recipe.

4 Likes

Damn, that ain’t a light dish…

Unconventional, sure. Delicious-sounding, yes

That’s your window to weight gain!

3 Likes

it’s luxurious without being heavy. sometimes i add thinly sliced tomato which the basil in the pesto complements while the pine nuts mesh nicely with the leeks.

I like the mushroom quesadillas at Border Grill. These and the chips are the only things I like at Border Grill.

All Flavor No Grease. Tried the BBQ Chicken, Shrimp, and Steak. I absolutely love the BBQ Chicken Quesdilla

1 Like

WTF is up with the quesdilla at Guisados? The texture of the cheese in this thing was terrible. It was so bad that for quite possibly the first time in my wife’s life, she threw away half the block of cheese. I actually ate the tortilla by itself because the tortilla tasted far better w/o the cheese.

pic from internet

1 Like

It looks like a cheese patty… strange.

Ha. I’m into it. It’s like a halloumi quesadilla.

does halloumi squeak when you eat it? it reminded me of indian desserts, specifically rasgulla

1 Like

v squeaky

Haven’t had rasgulla, but I’ll have to try it next time I see it!

I googled “Mexican grilling cheese” which led me to a Serious Eats article on five grilling cheeses, two were Latin in origin.

One is queso Panela, which doesn’t look like the one in your taco.

“Tropical Grilling Cheese” is a product that does. I googled the company - Tropical - which is a New Jersey-based dairy products company that caters to the Latino community.

Rafael Mendez started and owns Tropical. Looking up his bio, he is a Cuban immigrant with rags-to-riches story. During his progressive effort to be successful, he joined up with a Greek partner, who convinced Mendez to make feta for the growing popularity of the cheese.

Nothing I found specifically states that Mendez purposefully created their grilling cheese based on halloumi or kefalotyri, but I think it’s a fair assumption that Mendez learned about grilling cheeses from his time with the Greek partner, and modified it for the Latino market. Sounds like it’s relatively common in Latino markets.

The article’s author states he experimented with the cheese in various forms and felt it worked best in a taco. Grilled, it has a smooth texture and mild flavor.

2 Likes

ok I went to the website which has details that the store does not. The website bills it as

Quesadilla
Queso panela, grilled and served with a mild chipotle sour cream.

I tasted nothing that even closely resembled a mild chipotle sour cream. it was just a block of cheese and the fucking tortilla.

Man, that does not look like queso panela, but who am I to doubt.

It looks like the Cacique panela griddled to me.

Interesting… Some of the crumblier Mexican cheeses remind me of feta.