Ramen roll

I was kidding! I took bites so you could see the inside, and also because I was hungry.

Wow this was the worst ramen I’ve had in LA. The broth was uninspired, insipid and so watery it ended the drought. I’ve had top ramen that had more flavor. I was wondering if i got the vegan broth by mistake, but thinking about it, the vegan broth probably would have had more flavor than the chicken water I got. The egg was overcooked and the “foie amp” that’s supposed to “melt into the broth and make everything that much better” was a waste. #notmyramen

The rolls were okay, nori was soggy. I’d rather go to kazunori.

The gelato was the best thing i had.

scallop screamer, laxy lady

crab karma, salmon pesto

RnR signature broth, egg, foie

caramel hazelnut gelato

Wow, thanks for the warning @PorkyBelly. Just looking at the pic, I can see that the broth was totally watery. It looks gross. :frowning:

Oh, and the chicken was drier than bill murray’s humor.

3 Likes

The broth was good when I was there, probably because of the truffle addition, though it wasn’t very “truffly”. But it was light and flavorful. I agree re the chicken. HORRIBLY dry. And the soggy nori.

The rolls I had were honestly terrible. The smoked fish in the loxy lady tasted like Ralph’s smoked fish. The other two I had (salmon, crab) just had way too much mayo, Very disappointing as I live in the area and wanted this to be good.

On the bright side: a sign went up in downtown CC for an outlet of Tentenyu from Sawtelle.

2 Likes

This place sounds like a complete epic fail

#deathwatch

2 Likes

800 degrees is the best of that style of pizza place - Pieology, Pizza Press, Blaze, etc…
Umami Burger is good but not someplace I frequent often.

The last 2 sound like real clunkers - the chocolate chicken place and this new spot.

It’s actually not. They do need to do something about that horrible chicken obviously, like maybe invest in s sous vide instead of boiling it to death.

But like I’ve said, I liked the broth (shoyu chicken) and the noodles. I’m not giving up on them yet, and and am willing to give them time to settle in, especially because Ramen Yamadaya has been a total disaster the last few times I was there.

ouch…

Don’t forget Tacoteca…

What about Tacoteca should I not be forgetting @matthewkang ?
My recollection is quite tasty, perhaps not exceptional, but darned good. I suspect diners of an Ezparzean nature would complain about the prices for tacos. But shit, it’s Wilshire - not Whittier - Blvd.

How many times did you go? I went four times and it was really inconsistent. But more than anything, how shortly it lived, how little fanfare it had, and how unceremoniously it changed ownership hands from Fleischman.

Went twice - is it already gone? If so, too bad; LA could use more good taco places with a full bar.
Didn’t appreciate much difference between my visits and was not at all aware of the ownership pedigree (for reason I vaguely thought Jet Tila was involved).

Still technically open and hanging on by a thread.

Had no idea he was involved with that?! I went a couple times early on and really liked it, especially the tortillas but haven’t been recently.

“involved” is a funny word to use in this context lol

you’re funny

If they’re serving the same gelato as 800 Deg, the gelato is outsorced (which perhaps explains why it tasted good).

Respectfully disagree. I’ve been far more pleased w/ the pies I’ve gotten from MiDiCi and can’t wait for them to open on the westside. 800 Deg was spectacular (given the price) when it first opened. Having had meh (to genuinely poor) experiences the last 5 times or so (both SM and Westwood), I don’t think I’ll be going there anymore.

On a side note, I tried the Vito’s pizza in SM this past weekend. I thought it was pretty good. Report on that coming in a few hrs on a diff thread…

1 Like

They downgraded ingredients dramatically as various investors etc got involved.

2 Likes