Ranch Dressing Recipe

What’s your favorite Ranch Dressing Recipe? Vegan recipes welcomed too! Real Foods Daily has a delish one!!!

1 Like

This. Can’t remember where it’s from. Makes about 1/2 a cup (I obviously halved a recipe for 1 cup).

1.5 tsp minced onion
1.5 tsp chopped basil
1.5 tsp chopped chives
.75 tsp chopped parsley
¼ tsp minced garlic
½ tsp lemon juice
2 tbs mayonnaise
1.5 tsp tablespoons yogurt or sour cream
¼ c buttermilk
Salt and pepper
dash smoked paprika
Honey, as needed

2 Likes

That sounds delish! I think I will double everything. Thanks again.

… the particular flavor of traditional ranch can only be achieved with the dry versions of all those aromatics: garlic and onion powder, dried herbs, powdered pepper and buttermilk.

I tried the Hidden Valley mix since I had a packet left over from making fire crackers and it was really bland. Ended up adding fresh herbs, garlic, onion, and vinegar. I feel like buttermilk, onion, garlic, dill, and chives are the defining flavors.

1 Like

Here’s my Vegan Ranch. It makes a lot though! Feel free to adjust the flavors to your taste. It’s pretty versatile.

Vegan Ranch Dressing

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup smooth liquid tahini
  • 1 block tofu
  • ½ cup lemon juice +zest of 1 lemon
  • ½ cup water
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 T Salt
  • 2 T black pepper
  • ½ cup minced herbs -Equal parts dill, chives & parsley

PREPARATION

1. In a Blender add lemon juice, water, fresh garlic, tofu. Drizzle in the Tahini while blending to form a smooth and creamy base
  2. Add garlic powder, maple syrup and olive oil, and taste. Season with salt and pepper(the dressing could use at least a teaspoon of salt). mix in the herbs.
5 Likes

Sounds good but to make a vegan approximation of ranch I’d look for a source of lactic acid, like the brine from lactofermented pickles. Hozon would probably be good but I guess it’s not currently available.

I look forward to seeing your recipe

2 Likes

Same

Thank you. Will try it. What flavor does tahini have? I must eaten it before.

it’s a sesame seed paste. the one from Trader Joes is pretty good, I have the Villa Jerada tahini at the moment. Often used to flavor hummus or on its own to flavor middle eastern dressings.

Should have mentioned that i usually use firm tofu, mostly because that’s what i normally have around.

1 Like

To make dairy-free “ranch” I’d try making extra-rich rice milk and fermenting it with a buttermilk starter.

1 Like

Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk Dressing Packet + Milk + Sour Cream + Mayo. There is no substitute. :relaxed:

3 Likes