Random discussion of Covid-19 not specifically related to restaurants or food

Not sure what you are talking about but it seems that you don’t really know what you are talking about. How about citing some science papers with your hypothesis. And it is obvious with your comments about Fauci which mirror those following Trump that you are anti-science and don’t understand what Fauci has said and published

3 Likes

@DoctorChow please stop posting claims about Covid-19 research and the like without cites. That post was full of misinformation. Better yet, post only links, not your gloss on them.

2 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/08/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-covid/

That article’s misleading and your summary of it is way off.

Here’s the actual study.

In conclusion, our data show that anti-Spike IgG from serum of severely ill COVID-19 patients strongly amplifies pro-inflammatory responses by human macrophages, and can contribute to subsequent endothelial barrier disruption and thrombosis. This may explain the observation that many COVID-19 patients become critically ill around the time of activation of adaptive immune responses. In general, antibodies are beneficial for host defense by providing various mechanisms to counteract infections. …

Have you actually read (and understood) the paper (which isn’t yet peer reviewed) ? There are some questions regarding their used concentrations in the experiments etc. In addition, this is not about Covid-19 antibodies in general but just from plasma (which everybody agreed was never a viable approach to treat many people for multiple reasons anyway). All these results have no real implications on something like the Regeneron approach etc. Sorry to say but from your posts it is quite obvious that you read some headlines in newspapers (which are generated to get clicks) but you have no understanding of the science behind Covid, antibodies, immune response etc. (but still post like you would have clue) (And no, you didn’t provide any scientific papers with relevance to the covid disease for your “feedback” hypothesis)

Really good restaurant. Good balance of refined and authentic. Too bad.

Meanwhile America’s oppressed heroes are meandering around the streets high on meth and maskless and our leaders say “right on!”

:rofl: :rofl:
yes, that’s it. the drug of choice for protest is meth. you nailed it. really got your finger on the pulse.

3 Likes

Wat

1 Like

The majority of all US tests are completely garbage, wasted. If you don’t care how late the date is and you reimburse at the same level, of course they’re going to take every customer. Because they are making ridiculous money, and it’s mostly rich people that are getting access to that. You have to have the reimbursement system pay a little bit extra for 24 hours, pay the normal fee for 48 hours, and pay nothing [if it isn’t done by then]. And they will fix it overnight.

1 Like

Makes sense to me.

My first thought was, what the fuck does Michael Mina know?

3 Likes

You are aware that Fauci makes a lot of (indirect) comments in scientific meetings ? It should be pretty obvious by now for anybody with a single brain cell that the current government is actively sabotaging Fauci and what he would do (and say) if he really could act as he would like.

Well, than don’t use the exact same wrong, uninformed arguments like Trump supporters on many covid discussions. Your constant unfounded bashing of Fauci for example is either based on your support of Trump or a stunning ignorance of science and logical thinking.

3 Likes

Frankly, in this moment I think that Dr. Fauci is the only one we can look to who could possibly coordinate a path forward out of this morass. He’s respected (which, by the way, includes me); universally known; and widely loved. His persona is like that of the family doctor, with a caring “bedside” manner. He surely knows that he can’t be directly fired by DT. The worst that could happen (which understandably might in fact bring him pause) is that DT could find a way to cut funding to his Institute. I like the man, as a person. I often disagree, but mostly I wish he felt he could be more outspoken about specific national strategies that have been considered by his group and dismissed. In particular (of course) I wish that someone in his group at the NIH would at least consider the alternative of engineering-level feedback control and comment on the issues as to why that was evaluated and dismissed as an option. We really need a national-level strategy. People will listen to Dr. Fauci.

“Dry rooms and air-conditioned indoor spaces hike Covid-viral infection, conclude Indian and German researchers in their meta-study. They’re urging optimum humidity standards for building interiors and public transport.“

I recall that increased water vapor in the atmosphere during warmer weather was discussed several months ago as something that would make the covid calm down come summertime – for the same set of reasons. Alas. If it’s had an effect, it’s not obvious.

Still, an interesting article, and maintaining an indoor humidity level of around 50% isn’t an unreasonable step to take.

Air conditioning cuts humidity.

Yes, of course.

Do you know if temperature and humidity can be individually controlled in commercial spaces? I would think so but don’t know.

At home, I have an a/c controller where I can set the humidity and/or temperature target. I’ve always had it set for 50% humidity (really), which I think – when a/c is needed – is comfortable. I didn’t opt to have a way to control humidity when heating, though, although it was available. My loss. It does get sparky in the winter sometimes. And there’s also the dry skin thing.

I think that the main point of the article relates to commercial, rather than residential, settings, however. Covid spread among family members seems almost inevitable regardless of ventilation, filtration, or physics-based phenomena (like droplet evaporation rate as a function of ambient water vapor content). It’s another story when you’re talking about “mixing” all day with non-family members – at work or, to a lesser extent, for shorter periods in close-contact public interior spaces.

Most HVAC systems don’t have humidity control.

True, but AC does pull moisture out of the air. Best trick I ever learned for defrosting my windshield in winter was crank the AC with the heat all the way up.

Right, that’s what I said. You want to raise the humidity in an air-conditioned home or office, you probably want to buy one or more humidifiers. When we bought our house, the only heat was a wood stove, and we ended up buying two or three humidifiers to avoid chapped skin and bloody noses.