Random discussion of Covid-19 not specifically related to restaurants or food

Some people aren’t testing positive using rapid tests until four or five days after they start to show symptoms, according to UC San Francisco infectious diseases expert Dr. Peter Chin-Hong. “That’s very common these days,” he said.

Things are still moving in the right direction. Alameda County’s CDC community level went from High last week to Low this week, since hospital admissions per 100K were 9.7 and cases per 100K were 169, but I’d like to see cases back under 100 before I go back to eating inside.

1 Like

LACMA still requiring masks. We just drove away when the valet guy told us.

I clearly see why you call yourself warrior

5 Likes

So far they don’t seem to be competitive with BA.5 in California.

1 Like

What’s the big deal?

They have every right to enforce masks. I don’t find masks uncomfortable at all. I wear KN95’s all day at work (12 hours). Sometimes I have to wear a gown, gloves, and a N95 with a surgical mask on top for up to 30 minutes or more sweating like crazy trying to get IV, blood work, blood cultures, ECG, vital signs on a covid patient. When it was worse I basically wore a N95 for 12 plus hours my skin broke down around my ears. A mask, even a plain surgical mask is nothing for a few hours hardly an inconvenience. If you wish to participate in this society you have to do things for the greater good even if they are inconvenient or uncomfortable.

I think by now you should expect to wear a mask in a indoor shared space.

8 Likes

But, but his freedom (to wear a red hat)….

3 Likes

He doesn’t want to wear a mask, so he left. Good for him, and good for everyone else that wants to see art and doesn’t mind lessening risk for everyone else who would also like to see art.

6 Likes

Requiring masks in indoor spaces reduces transmission. This is a simple fact, nothing ideological about it.

The latest weekly stat for LA County is over 250 cases for 100K, which is more than five times as high as the Delta peak, so requiring masks is a simple measure to protect employees and visitors. Museums already have security in place to make sure people pay for admission, don’t steal the art, etc., so enforcing a mask requirement is much easier for them than for restaurants, supermarkets, and most other retailers.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Scheduled my third booster for Sept. 13 (latest date Costco was offering). With luck they’ll have the new vaccine by then.

3 Likes

God damn it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/09/06/covid-booster-shot-flu-pandemic/

3 Likes

Seems like a win-win to me. I can get 'em done at the same time and not think about it for a while.

1 Like

I got my Pfizer bivalent booster Tuesday. Would have gotten Moderna but Costco didn’t have that.

We’re finally back to where we were before BA-5 came to town.

2 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-02001-z

1 Like

SF’s numbers seems a little screwy, I wonder if some of the cases from two weeks ago ended up in last week’s count.

2 Likes

Contrary to the Times’ blurb:

Though subvariants beyond BA.5 are increasing, their growth has been slow and doesn’t yet signal a major alarm, according to [Los Angeles County Public Health Director Barbara ] Ferrer. "… the fall boosters … are well-matched to what is circulating now,

1 Like
2 Likes

Fauci’s thoughts on long covid:

2 Likes