Random discussion of Covid-19 not specifically related to restaurants or food

Stats in the SF Bay Area generally down a bit last week. Community level radically down in LA County, dropped from 70 to 28.

Freaky random stats from the CDC spreadsheet:

• The highest community level recorded was 13017.75 per 100K in Loring County, Texas, in the report for the first week of July, 2022.
  • The highest hospital admissions per 100K was 185.3 in Washington County, Kansas, in the report for the first week of March 2023 (i.e. last month)
  • The highest share of hospital beds occupied by Covid patients was 36% in Cherokee County, North Carolina, in the report for the third week of February 2022 (the farthest back the spreadsheet goes).
3 Likes

SF Bay Area community levels last week were the lowest since the CDC started this dataset.

1 Like

We’re flying internationally in a few weeks and at the very least we’ll wear masks in airports and while standing/walking in airplanes. I’ll be curious to see how many of our fellow travelers will be doing this.

1 Like

Airplanes are one of the best places to get infected. An infectious person can infect people several rows away. I’d wear a mask the whole time on a plane.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/3/20-4714_article

1 Like

We’ll be in business/first so LOTS more room. But we’ll see our comfort level. I haven’t even looked to see if those sections are full.

More room doesn’t matter if there’s an infectious person nearby and the ventilation system is drawing their exhaled viruses past you for the duration of the flight.

Almost all the people I know who’ve had Covid in the past year got it after flying.

1 Like

Or so they think.

Uh, no, they know they got Covid after flying. They don’t know for sure they got it on the plane, but in most cases that was the only recent time they’d been in close quarters with strangers, and the friends or family they were visiting didn’t get it.

1 Like

Again. Their opinion.

No, those are facts. What conclusion one draws from them would be an opinion.

On the other hand, the claim that you’re unlikely to catch Covid on an airplane because the air is filtered is a lie promoted by airlines.

Oh, sheesh. The fact is that they got covid. The rest is supposition. Have I mentioned that I have a lifetime of medical and scientific background?

You also seem to think that it’s more important to wear a mask walking around the airport or plane than when in yoor seat, so you’re clearly not up to date on the relative risks.

LOL. Call CDC and get my references.

Some newer research indicates that proximity in the airplane seems to play a key role and that outside of 2 meters away from the infected person you risk of getting infected decreases quite significantly - the air is circulated along the circumference of the cylindrical plane, not lengthwise. This means that the air you breathe is mainly shared between those in your row and those directly near you.

1 Like

Look at the diagram I just reposted above. Most of the infected people were two rows ahead of the infectious passenger. Probably less than two meters.

Circulation patterns in airplanes are complex.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Airflow-patterns-in-the-aircraft-cabin-Source_fig3_269399879

1 Like

Stats still low last week, no big change from the week before.

I’m getting my second bivalent booster Tuesday.

1 Like

My dentist just stopped taking temps on arrival and no longer requires everyone to wear a mask. First time in 37 months.

1 Like

Got my sixth shot / fourth booster / second bivalent booster today. Maybe I’ll think about getting on a plane while I have maximum protection.

2 Likes

We should be able to get the latest one this week. Will check with the pharmacist in the AM.

No statistically significant change in the SF Bay Area or LA County last week.

The LA Times says “Coronavirus levels in Los Angeles County wastewater have ticked up” in this article:

But I don’t see that in https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/CalSuWers-Dashboard.aspx or Verily Public Health.

1 Like