Random discussion of Covid-19 not specifically related to restaurants or food

There’s a similar article here:

Not new news after Guangzhou, but an impressively detailed reenactment.

That was published a few months ago already

Key messages

Current rules on safe physical distancing are based on outdated science

Distribution of viral particles is affected by numerous factors, including air flow

Evidence suggests SARS-CoV-2 may travel more than 2 m through activities such as coughing and shouting

Rules on distancing should reflect the multiple factors that affect risk, including ventilation, occupancy, and exposure time

I don’t see a cite for the new Korean study in that piece.

The South Korea study was published after this manuscript went through the review process

Right. It was published on Nov. 23. To my knowledge, there was no prepub. I’m not sure what you’re saying.

If I understand you correctly you were wondering why the BMJ paper didn’t have a reference to the Korean paper but that wouldn’t be possible as the BMJ paper was submitted 5 months prior to the Korean paper

I don’t understand why you said “that was published a few months ago already.”

The comment from DC seemed to indicate that the Korean paper is showing something new regarding that the 6ft rule isn’t based on any solid science when there are papers out for 6 months showing same (which obviously has implications in restaurants)

The Korean paper is newsworthy because one of the people infected was over 21 feet from the infected person and she was at the restaurant for only five minutes, thus invalidating the CDC’s definition of “close contact” as within six feet for 15 minutes. Of course, anyone who understood the implications of the Guangzhou restaurant and Hunan bus studies already knew the CDC’s advice was wrong.

Yes. This “minimum safe distance and time” rule of thumb might apply, more-or-less, in absolutely quiescent air in a cavernous space where someone is heavily coughing or sneezing directly at you constantly for 15 minutes, but not in any realistic enclosed space with induced air movement as in a small store or restaurant with a/c, fans, and/or closed or no windows. Utter B.S., and at least partly based on anecdotal origins, as was pointed out earlier.

No, I pointed to the Zeynep writeup that Robert posted because she had some additional thoughts about the Korean studies, and also brought up the choir incident. (Also, some interesting comments below her post.) Plus, I added my own comment, which is something I’ve said more than once before: Get people to lower their voices by making restaurants quieter (in case there are any remaining). One step in that direction would be to turn down the music…

My intention was simply to supplement the LA Times summary article that ElsieDee posted by pointing to another related summary article posted on a different FTC thread.

I was interested to learn in a news article today (Daily Beast) that Pfizer wasn’t “directly involved” in Operation Warp Speed. I had assumed that it was. More power to them!

1 Like

That was clear from the start - Pfizer always said that they believe to be able to move faster without any external help from CMC and regulatory standpoint (as they had little involvement in the actual discovery of the vaccine)

1 Like

Well, I guess they proved their point.

Kudos are in order. The world owes its thanks to this brave company.

The end isn’t here, but the beginning of the end has come sooner than anyone might have realistically imagined six months ago.

For the first time in what seems like forever, there’s more than a glimmer of hope at the end of this long dark tunnel.

This LA Times link is even more useful than I thought. The SD Union has a lot of covid information online, but for some reason nothing about ICU beds. I found that by scrolling to near the bottom of the LA Times webpage that the same data shown for LA County are also available for every other county in the state, by clicking on the name of the county. The ICU bed data trend for SD County is disturbing.

Here’s another LA Times link with a lot of useful state-wide information, plus the same links to all of the CA counties near the bottom. These guys are doing a really good job with getting out the data, not just for LA, for all of CA.

I’ve only recently subscribed to the online LA Times and hadn’t known of these repositories of information and data previously.

1 Like

This is for SD County, via HHSA:

Screenshot 2020-12-14 002435

The point-to-point plot is interesting for its very obvious average characteristic over the five year period shown, when compared to the baseline and upper sinusoidals. More importantly these plots serve as a signal to “get the damn shots” in addition to “wear the damn mask”.

Not all, but perhaps many of the 11% of ICU beds currently occupied by influenza/pneumonia patients could come available for other ICU needs if everyone would just get these two existing and readily available vaccines.

Most people aren’t going to be able to get one of the covid vaccine 4-week spaced injection pairs until mid- or late summer. We have to sustain until then. Flu season won’t be over until around March or April, and this year bodes to be a bad one for influenza, relative to the baseline. On top of the covid.

My DH’s grandmother died on October 1, 1918. The official cause of death was “pneumonia”, but under “contributory causes”, there’s “influenza”.

I read that to mean she got the 1918 flu, and then, weakened by it, got pneumonia. It was the pneumonia she died from. She was 37.

Maybe people are starting to understand. There may not be much else we can do about the whole virus situation right now, but we can get a flu and pneumonia shot to help out.

1 Like
1 Like

Delete