Random discussion of Covid-19 not specifically related to restaurants or food

The windows may have been “open”, but probably not wide open, and possibly variably open from one end of each group to the other. The airflow in the room couldn’t be so strong as to lift papers from the students’ desks. It would have to be kept to a feeble level.

So, based on the distribution of students that were affected by the virus, here’s my first guess:

My guess is that exterior air was generally moving into the room through the windows on the right, and out through the left. However, the exterior air that came into the room didn’t move straight across the room from one side to the other. Instead, it channeled towards the center of the room on the inlet side (right), and fanned out through the windows on the outlet side (left).

This weak airflow pattern would include two large oval-shaped vortices spanning the width of the room, one at the top and one at the bottom of the diagram, which I’ll call upper and lower. The upper vortex would be rotating clockwise and the lower one counter-clockwise.

There would be a stationary counter-clockwise vortex in the corner where the teacher’s desk was located, driven by the upper large vortex. If that’s where she was when reading to the class w/o a mask, the virus would have collected inside that corner vortex and from there mixed into the upper large vortex due to shear. That would lead to transport and recirculation of the virus from left to right along the front row of desks, past the seat in the center of the room, and from right to left in the central area, with some accumulation of virus in the remaining interior of the upper vortex.

In the middle of the room, the upper and lower large vortices would mix virus due to shear, transferring virus from the upper to the lower vortex. Some amount of virus, at a lower concentration, would then move from right to left in the center of the room, and circulate around the sides and bottom of the room along the perimeter of the lower vortex, moving left to right along the lower (back) wall. Also, some would accumulate, howbeit at a very low concentration, in the center of the lower vortex.

Some amount of virus would have been removed from the room by the global movement between the right and left window groups, but evidently not enough, especially if there were multiple instances of virus introduction by the index (teacher).

I have no idea how the door or other objects in the room affected the airflow. Also, the location of the air filter made it useless.

All of this of course, is a very crude assessment on my part, but something like this could explain the distribution of infections. A couple of floor-standing fans gently blowing air out of the windows on the left would have helped to disrupt this postulated flow pattern and keep the interior air cleaner.

I’ll add that an airflow pattern with natural global movement of exterior air from left to right through the windows is also possible, as are other patterns, but the same principles would apply.

I see no reason to doubt that the diagram, which shows all 25 of the desk spaces six feet apart, is incorrect.

Where did you get the diagram from? And did the source include info on which students were masked (or what kind of mask they were using)? My impression is that cloth masks are not sufficient to protect against Delta.

See the link to “Outbreak Associated with SARS-CoV-2 B.1.617.2 (Delta)” above.

There’s no information about how many if any of the kids were wearing masks. There’s no airflow diagram like the one for the Guangzhou or Daejeon restaurants.

There’s nothing else I’ve seen to date that would suggest cloth masks combined with fresh air and social distancing are so ineffective that someone could get infected 40 feet away.

In photos on Facebook, classrooms at Our Lady of Loretto don’t look that big. Their Covid guidelines say nothing about windows, doors, or ventilation, allow four feet distance rather than six, and have a lot of instances of “when feasible and practical.” The only mention of “air” is that they w\ill “air on the side of caution.”

COVID-19 OLL Site-Specific Protection Plan to Return to In-Person Education

LOL & TY. First big smile on this subject that I’ve had, although I also looked and your point isn’t frivolous.

A full 3D CFD simulation of this, including explicit or modeled turbulence, would be a huge undertaking, even if the many unknows including details about the windows, large objects in the room, local exterior atmospheric conditions at the time, etc. were known, which they’re not.

Having said that, I’d love to see an airflow simulation like those done for the restaurant incidents.

Kids tend to have about 60% surgical masks and 40% cloth mask (with perhaps 5% N95 mask sprinkled in) based on own experience now at a few schools.

2 Likes

There are no grounds on which to assume this place is in line with anywhere you’ve been. Presumably their teachers stay home when infected and keep their masks on. They were probably vaccinated, too.

… Americans willing to believe that Barack Obama was born in Kenya and that Italian satellites were used to switch votes to Joe Biden are also the kind of people willing to believe that medical elites are lying to them and that they can solve their health problems by ignoring professional advice and buying patent medicines instead.

Lordie, Lordie…

Here are two additional hard-hitting excerpts from the same article:

Once you’re sensitized to the link between snake oil and right-wing politics, you realize that it’s pervasive. This is clearly true in the right’s fever swamps.

and

None of this would be happening if there weren’t a climate of anger and distrust for unscrupulous pundits and politicians to exploit. But the fact that extremism sells patent medicine creates a financial incentive to get more extreme.

Interesting to see (and really not a good sign) that Marion Gruber and Phil Krause have both decided to leave the FDA. These are two of key people within the FDA responsible for the approval of vaccines (including Covid). Apparently the decision by the White House to go ahead with the booster shots (without any approval) as the last drop but there is a lot of overstepping by the ACIP committee in the decision making process. That won’t increase confidence in the vaccines (for booster shots and children vaccine) and it might have been much better if the Biden administrations would have be more supportive of the process of approval and not looking for politics.

1 Like

Ugh.

Not related (directly, at least), but apparently some judges have decided that they can make medical decisions. This is truly disturbing (and genuinely dangerous):

1 Like

(Dr) Wagshul is a well know quack with his Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance. I am at a point where it might be best to let the idiots take Ivermectin and die anyway (most likely even faster). Perhaps even offer also some bleach.

I posted a joke image of Clorox Chewables on Facebook over a year ago. Recently I got an alert that it had been removed for violating the terms of service and that for 30 days I would not be allowed to “go live” or advertise, neither of which I’ve ever done or am likely to do.

chewables

2 Likes

While I would never wish harm on anyone, I do have to say that it is SO deeply frustrating, irritating, and anger-inducing to read such sh*t about ivermectin and the people pushing it. Republicans rail against activists judges, but WTF is this kind of judicial overreach (the judge responsible for this ruling was appointed by Kasich).

And then you read stuff like this:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/anti-vaxxers-forced-a-mobile-covid-19-vaccine-site-in-georgia-to-shut-down-after-threatening-health-workers-official/ar-AANWLKq?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

And then were the incident (incidents?) in TN a few wks ago where anti-masking parents were shouting down and making veiled threats toward doctors who were advocating for masks.

It is all completely bananas.

1 Like

It was definitely Our Lady of Loretto.

I can’t access this article, but another report said that the teacher involved attributed the symptoms that she/he had to allergies, the most common thing that health officials (according to one of them) hear.

Added 9/1
Memo to people with allergies:

During the pandemic, don’t always immediately assume that your symptoms are truly an allergic reaction. Given that a covid infection can present some of the same symptoms, stay away from people until you can get tested. Wear a mask if you must go out in public until you know the test results. And for sure don’t go into a school classroom; remove your mask; and talk as loudly as needed to be heard in the back. And don’t forget that even with the windows open, recirculation zones can develop that have the ability to transport and diffuse virus to distant locations in otherwise enclosed spaces.

This article, with 26 references, presents and discusses the scientific information about portable air filtration units.

If the fan on a HEPA filter unit is too noisy at full flow, then one could run two of them at a lower speed. Their size needs to be selected based on the volume of the room. And these filtration units shouldn’t just be plunked down anywhere convenient in the room. Some reasonable thought should go into placement.

As the Supreme Court explained more than 75 years ago in Prince v. Massachusetts: “The right to practice religion freely does not include liberty to expose the community or the child to communicable disease or the latter to ill health or death.”

1 Like

That article makes a strong statement, and it’s especially impactful having come from the ACLU. I fully agree with them on this.

1 Like