Random Thoughts & Questions

I don’t disagree with you about clear personal attacks – those aren’t cool and should be reported. I don’t agree with you, though, that it’s “always” the people trying to play nice who are told to change their behavior; firstly, I wasn’t suggesting that to begin with, but secondly, I think everyone should, in general, take a deep breath before replying and remember that the vast majority of people consider themselves the hero of their own story, and many times discord takes flight from a misunderstanding. Frankly, both in real life as well as on a message board, I have seen “nice guys” be anything but. It’s often a matter of perspective.

When I made my post above, I was thinking about times I’ve witnessed on this board where some people have been attacked for expressing their opinion, and the attacking party was doing so defensively because they took personal offense to something that was not personal in nature. I think we recently had a spirited discussion on Chick-fil-A that potentially veered into this territory. Some people looooooove the chicken sandwiches. Some people haaaaaaaaaaate the politics of that chain. While I have an opinion on that issue, someone expressing their love for the fried chicken sandwich they can only get 6 days/week doesn’t offend me in the least, even though I personally can’t see myself giving Chick-fil-A a nickel of my money.

Maybe I didn’t express myself clearly above, but the point I was trying to make was that the vast majority of us are here to post about food, and that’s what brings us here, so my suggestion is to keep that in focus and not let all the other stuff bother us so much, especially since I’m sure much of it has to do with misunderstandings and NOT bona fide ill intent.

4 Likes

Agreed – I remember looking for a block/mute button a couple years ago and reading the same thing. I wonder what led to the change of heart?

How do you do that line-thingy?

~~on each side of text~~

1 Like

Is there an LA web site that lets you search for cultural events such as concerts and gallery openings by date and neighborhood?

not really sure but try these?

1 Like

my preferred source, but by date only:

https://thescenestar.typepad.com/ss/showlist.html

2 Likes

+1 on The Scenestar for concerts—and they usually announce presale passwords before anybody else.

3 Likes

Ooh, nice list.

Thanks for the link to Scenestar. Since I stopped picking up the LA Weekly I have not found any good overview of music events in town and that one seems quite thorough.

1 Like

Also Oh My Rockness

Sometimes it works like that.

3 Likes

People who occupy a table in a small restaurant for their to-go orders don’t realize they are scumbags for doing so.

3 Likes

Supermarket random thoughts and judgements:

If you don’t put the divider for the person behind you in a checkout line, I think less of you

If you don’t put your shopping cart back to the front where you got it or at least to the cart corral nearby, I also think less of you, you selfish mofo

10 Likes

Ditto for people who sit down after ordering to go so they don’t have to tip

4 Likes

Damn that’s pretty low. I only seen that done before by cops for obvious reasons.

3 Likes

My father was a good cook . No recipes ever . He just said " A little bit of dis and a little bit of dat ."

2 Likes

Try running an honest hot dog cart

1 Like

Does anybody else here cringe when they have a “foodie“ coworker volunteer to make dinner reservations?

2 Likes

No allowance for those who make sure nobody is waiting for the table they’re at??