Recipes for Vegan/Plant-Based Dishes and Meals

Which Veganaise formula is your go-to? I noticed in my grocery store that there were several varieties, including, original, soy-free, and another type that I can’t recall. Our fancy local grocery chain Nugget is featuring a buy one, get one free on Beyond Meat burger patties this weekend so I foresee veggie burgers in my future. Though I’ve eaten quite a few out, this will be my first time cooking the Beyond Meat patties.

3 Likes

Hi @chinchi -

I go for the Soy-free Vegenaise w/the green cap and if they don’t have it I get the Original w/the blue cap. One note: I tend to get the small jars rather than the big ones, if they have them. The Vegenaise in big jars loses its firmness faster and can get watery before the jar is finished. That’s okay if you’re using it for sauce, but sandwiches not so much.

Looking forward to hearing about and possibly seeing your Home Burgers. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips! I will post the finished product after I cook them next week, provided I make photogenic burgers :grin:

2 Likes

Potato starch also works for a roux.

1 Like

The coconut ceviche is my favorite thing there. I’d be happy ordering a couple of mezcal margaritas and two orders of ceviche instead of a proper meal.

2 Likes

If you like the Beyond Burgers, Costco sells an 8 pack for $15, which is much cheaper than the regular grocery stores. We have been buying them there since they started carrying them.

3 Likes

First attempt at pizza. miyoko’s vegan mozzarella.

6 Likes

I was at WF today and saw an Organic Vegenaise w/dark green cap. The one I get is light green. Here’s my go-tos.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I’ll do.

3 Likes

Good job @Luluthemagnificent. The toppings look great and the cheese looks crispy, melty, yummy.

4 Likes

How was the Miyoko’s vegan mozzarella? Havent tried it yet, but I was pretty impressed with the FYH shredded mozzarella. The other brands I’ve tried all have a strange aftertaste to them (TJs, Daiya, and SoDelicious). The TJ one was so gross, I threw the bag away after trying it twice. Couldn’t bring myself to finish it.

2 Likes

I buy the light green lid one. Never tried it in sauces though - what kind of sauces do you use it in? I use it for sandwiches, burgers and salads/salad dressings.

3 Likes

It’s a good substitute for cream in sauces. This is sautéed garlic, shrooms, spices and a slurry of vedge broth & Vegenaise added to the shroom mixture & reduced. You can add dijon mustard for mustard sauce. I also use it to make soups a little creamier. Ohhh… the possibilities of Vegenaise. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Ah ok. I never thought about using it as a cream substitute since I use the Ripple half and half, but I’ll have to try it soon. Looks like it works well!

2 Likes

Thanks @boogiebaby!

I almost bought the Ripple today but I’m waiting to finish the various other milk & cream substitutes in my fridge. :wink: I’m thinking if Ripple has a creamy milk quality you can add it with the Vegenaise & broth. The Vegenaise has a little creamy quality but mostly I like the consistency, and it has a savoriness that can mimic meat drippings.

3 Likes

It was delish. it was more like a creamy cheese than a stringy mozzarella I am used to. But it was good. I don’t remember an after taste, maybe that is a good thing. Will try the follow your heart brand.

5 Likes

Cookie, THIS WAS DELICIOUS!!! I blended cauilflower and ripple with garlic add that to the onion, garlic and mushroom stir-fry, then added some veggie broth with the a tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon Vegetable base, then Vegenaise!

6 Likes

I’m no Vegan but I am trying to cut back significantly on meat. Found this recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies from the NYT (no paywall). I might try making them for a vegan friend.

4 Likes

Trust no recipe that calls for “vegan butter” without speciying a brand. Ingredients vary way too much to treat them as interchangeable, at least for baked goods.

4 Likes

Oh yay! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like