Recipes for Vegan/Plant-Based Dishes and Meals

They’re easy enough to bake/roast and then top (that’s my usual approach: my partner likes them with channa masala or a dal/lentil).

Can also cut into chunks with other root vegetables and onions, garlic, etc, and roast.

My sister makes a peanut and sweet potato soup/stew (sometimes chunky, sometimes pureed) that includes peanut butter, raw peanuts, ginger, onions, tomatoes and coconut milk, with shredded greens (probably kale, knowing her).

Also sweet potato pie!

(Confession: I absolutely despise sweet potatoes and yams - I’m now “mature” enough get down a bite or two, but it’s a struggle. No idea why the aversion.)

1 Like

You’re not alone. I’m not much on sugary things, generally, especially when they’re supposed to be potatoes. I can handle the occasional roasted sweet potato.

1 Like

Dianes are less sweet. I balance them with salty / umami / sour / spicy ingredients.

1 Like

Yum!!!

1 Like

anyone make “ground beef?” how? want to make sloppy joes or tacos.

1 Like

Tempeh has the right texture.

2 Likes

i like to make a sofrito maybe with onions red peppers, tomatoes garlic then when it’s soft and golden hit it with soyrizo, a can of crushed tomatoes and some water then braise it out until all the flavors come together and the liquid is almost dry.

also good with diced potatoes or mushrooms added in.

3 Likes

I’ve used lentils (brown, red, green - I can’t tell the difference when they’re doctored with the spices, veggies, etc) for sloppy joes, tacos, gardener’s pie, and tater tot casserole.

If you’re interested in plant-based meats, the Impossible ground “beef” is, I think, closest in flavor and texture to that from a cow. (This may/not be a selling point: I find it too close, in most cases.)

Totally agree with @aaqjr on the soyrizo option, though depending on the brand/spice blend I’m not sure how it would be for sloppy joes. Great for tacos, burritos, and chili, though!

I’ve bought a couple of the Upton Natural’s seitan products - the chorizo and something that I’m blanking on at the minute - and have been pleased.

3 Likes

seitan and tempeh are both great and a little more ‘neutral’ in flavor than impossible -which is also my favorite plant based meat. Impossible has an aftertaste that is a little like peanutbutter (too me anyway) which is distracting but I still like it.

1 Like

Tempeh is simply fermented whole soybeans. Most of these other products are highly processed.

1 Like

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I made cashew cream by letting cashews soak in water overnight. it’s delicious. I used it to make mashed potatoes. They were great. What else can I use it in?

4 Likes

It’s good to finish a risotto or farotto instead of butter. Also love it with faro making it more of a breakfast porridge.

Also good for ‘creamy’ salad dressings.

3 Likes

Is it high in calories? or an unhealthy food?

i wouldn’t eat it straight but you use it like you would butter or cream or in a dressing for salad, it’s fine (IMO). Nuts in general are healthy in small amounts

1 Like
1 Like

Saw the link and thought of you, @Luluthemagnificent:

(If paywalled, there are a bunch of copycat recipes if you search for “vegan cacio e pepe cashew”.)

3 Likes

Does that recipe actually work? I read it the other day and it seemed.like way, way too much water.

1 Like

They have you reserve 2.5 cups but you only use 3/4 cup for the sauce. So it should work -considering you pull the pasta 2 min early as well. So it’s finishing in the sauce. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

3/4 cup sounds about right, but the NYT recipe says to reserve 2-1/2 cups of pasta water, start by adding 1-3/4 cups, and add more if necessary “to keep the sauce glossy.” I don’t see how that’s going to give you results like in the photo. Maybe it’s a typo.

1 Like

what can I make with Oyster Mushrooms?

2 Likes