Recommendation request west la

Now THAT is a weekend.

1 Like

re: Nook’s fish – C’mon, wsg. It was one time close to a decade ago.

1 Like

the most recent time was about ONE YEAR ago.

basically, for anyone who insists on going to the place, i recommend sticking to the “comfort food,” the stuff high in saturated fat and salt.

as it turns out, iirc, they went to kiriko.
if one has enough of an appreciation of good fish that one would go to kiriko, it i hard to imagine that the stuff being served at nook would be acceptable.

also, the whole idea of having your PREGNANT WIFE eating the smelly fish at nook is repulsive. . . .

While I haven’t been for dinner yet, I would try Cadet. I know they usually have a whole grilled fish on the menu. They have a tremendous brunch, far superior to Stir Market and BLD, which I tried before going to Cadet. And, if their brunch is an indication, dinner should be excellent as well.

My one dinner at Cadet was very unmemorable. It was so unmemorable that I can’t remember what I had. They also have these weird little Japanese style bento boxes of condiments that are a real pain. Glad to know the brunch is good. I would recommend Santa Monica Yacht Club or Cassia for fish over Cadet without hesitation.

Hi Mr. JJ,

I don’t know if the evening has come and gone, but just in case, I think Nanbankan will suit your needs. The food is very tasty. It is small dishes so you can have a lot of variety. The food tastes fresh and very few menu items are “challenging”. It is in an office building so it’s easy to miss. I don’t think they have a website so here’s a link to Menupages. It’s a good idea to make a reservation on Friday and Saturday

Los Angeles Menus - Los Angeles, CA Restaurants Guide.

By the way, I am a huge fan of Cassia. I’m recommending Nanbankan because it is near Sawtelle so you can go to Blockheads (yum) afterwards.

The Cottage Pie at Butcher’s Dog (essentially, a Shepherd’s Pie) is quite good and the chicken liver mousse, salmon poke and sticky toffee pudding are all close copies of the ones from W&C. Not much on decor, though.

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

How are the fucking fish and chips ???

And is the sticky toffee pudding the full size that can quite literally feed a family of six for dessert ???

Thanks man.

Plus one on Nanbankan. It’s consistently delicious. Every single time.

thanks for the reply – will file this for next time – so many good tips from all the F’kers!

Don’t know about the OP, but I’m fine w/ “meh” decor. :wink: Thanks for the info. Salmon poke wouldn’t be half bad in this weather…

How about Fresh Corn Grill on Westwood Blvd. just south of Wilshire. Valet parking. Very nice casual. Serve beer and wine.

I like this fuvking joint and mentioned it on an earlier thread regarding takeout joints.

Not tried the fish & chips there yet–if I am in the area and want fish, it is hard for me not to go around the corner to Kiriko–but, based on the lineage and other carry-over menu items I have tried, I would imagine it would be similar to the great version of F&C from W&C.

Fresh Corn Grill has delicious grilled salmon and salads. They also prepare pasta well and the grilled salmon can be added. The best fish I had recently was a beautifully prepared swordfish at Tavern. It was grilled and served with tomato rice, pickled fennel, grapefruit and currants. It was fantastic.

I really like fucking Fresh Corn Grill. I think I’ve mentioned it four times in the past few days. But I always think the food crew doesn’t really like it.

and that Cajun sauce with the grilled salmon works great.

thanks - will add that to the list of great recommendations from all on this thread

Thanks maudies5. And it is nice to have your presence again.

1 Like

+1 for Fresh Corn Grill

1 Like

Cassia is wonderful…