Recommendations for Hungarian food?

Would really love a great Goulash. A German place that serves it might be OK too, but I’ve been to Wirtshaus, and (although they were very nice), theirs didn’t do it for me. Any suggestions? We’ll probably be downtown or Mid-City.
TIA!

1 Like

romanian rather than hungarian, but Parsnip?

3 Likes

Please don’t think I am being sarcastic, but the best gulyas I have eaten within 300 or so miles from LA is https://www.paprikasf.com/, yes in San Francisco. My late, unlamented stepmother was of Hungarian descent and, as my father doted on her he would seek out Hungarian food wherever they went.
This restaurant had great gulyas and also hooked me on langos, deep-fried Hungarian potato bread smeared with raw garlic. Consider it a savory Navajo fry bread with a wonderful garlic hit. Dipped in gulyas it is so very good.
That said I have done nothing to help you with your search. If you cook at all I can post a recipe for gulyas: it’s an easy stew; you just need a lot of good paprika, and one for langos on the Home Cooking area.

5 Likes

There is good gulyás to be had at some events hosted by the Hungarian Cultural Alliance - Magtár. The event I attended was for Saint Nicholas Feast Day, so that is probably pretty far off in December, but maybe give them a follow if they are still active online and see when they post information. They have a community center of sorts downtown just south of the 10.

3 Likes

No goulash, but in the Antelope Valley, there’s Tibor’s. They do have Gulyas:

For around 20 years, it was the Valley Hungarian Sausage & Meat Co. It was at the eastern edge of Littlerock, along Highway 138. I continually pitched the unique story of a Hungarian haven in the high desert, run by an older woman and her daughter, but was rebuffed with “it’s too far away.” Finally, the outlets I wrote for expanded their coverage to the rest of Los Angeles County, but by then, it was too late. The woman who ran it was in her 80s (and her daughter in her late 50s/early 60s) and they closed the shop :frowning_face: They even had Hungarian-style kolaches :cry: Oddly enough, Tibor’s has been floating around in the AV for years, at various locations, and somewhat appropriately, took over the space.

2 Likes

Having watched and enjoyed the goulash my serbian friend recently made i’m comfortable with saying that you can make the best goulash around. It’s like 4 ingridients and time. It’s as hard as oatmeal

2 Likes

Is a goulash like a paprikash? If so, I agree w/ the others that you can make a really good one at home. Partner has made paprikash several times, and it’s delicious.

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed the (Serbian) goulash at Metro Cafe.

2 Likes

Fascinating that Serbians use zero paprika for it! In my head it’s all about paprika

1 Like

Easy, pretty much. Four ingredients, not in Hungary.

1 Like

It’s almost the same thing only gulyas is made with beef and paprikash with chicken or veal, https://www.offbeatbudapest.com/features/how-goulash-became-the-national-symbol-of-hungary/
Although I love it with langos it’s traditionally served with galushka, the Hungarian version of spaetzle. There are a lot of crossovers in central and eastern European cuisines. Besides the Serbian version @Nemroz comments on I have come across German and Austrian versions as well.

3 Likes