Recommendations for weekend in SF for Angeleno

Hi,

I live in LA and will be in SF for the 3rd or 4th time in December, turning a Friday work event into a weekend. I haven’t been in 2 years so I was looking for some suggestions for lunch and dinner (will have 3 of each). I’ve been to several standard places (Zuni, Tadich, Frances, Nopa, others I can’t recall at the moment), so more looking for newer suggestions and also classic ones that are still solid spots now.

No food restrictions except no sushi, and keeping in mind that I live in LA, I’d prefer cuisines that are SF strong suits or that have a unique twist or ambiance. Solo traveler so prefer places with bar dining or where solo won’t be out of place.

Budget is flexible–looking for good food and experience!

Thanks!

1 Like

La ciccia
californios
In situ
Swan oyster depot
hog island
State bird provisions
Bellota
Liholiho Yacht Club
Cockscomb

Lots of good suggestions here.

2 Likes

Hi @Linda_Beth,

Welcome! Here are some pics and thoughts from various trips I’ve had thanks to the lists from @PorkyBelly and @ipsedixit amongst others.

Generally speaking, I think cuisines where SF may do better than LA include Burmese, Italian, pizza, California cuisine in the Chez Panisse / Zuni / Frances vein, and maybe dim sum. And of course Michelin endurance menus.

Burmese, Little Yangon near BART in Daly City or Burmese Kitchen out on Geary.

Traditional Italian, La Ciccia (reserve) or Perbacco. Cal-Italian, Cotogna.

Pizza, Bao’necci (reserve) for Roman-style thin crust, Cotogna (reserve) or Zero Zero for the local modern style that’s sort of a hybrid of New York and Naples, Una Pizza Napoletana or A16 (reserve) for Neapolitan, Little Star on Divisadero for deep-dish, Pauline’s for a unique local style and the best pesto pizza in the world.

Solo dining at the bar, Cockscomb (reserve and specify chef’s counter, the other bar seating is less comfortable and some doesn’t really have enough space for plates), Perbacco, Trou Normand, Bellota (reserve).

If you’re up for a BART ride across the bay, Miss Ollie’s or Great China, both good for solo at the bar.

Saison for Michelin foo.