Red Medicine 2020 - "just what the doctor ordered"

What a trip down memory lane it was to once again enjoythe fabulous flavors of Jordan Kahn’s Red Medicine.
Other than the prawn crackers (which get mushy when packed in a container with the hot Brussels sprouts - really ought to be packaged separately) every thing else was great. The smokey brisket and the Coconut Bavarian, and the congee were standouts.

Big portions, lots of dishes, yummy.

Pick Up @ Vespertine - the wind chimes and weird music were playing through the slightly chilly evening in the spookily deserted Hayden Tract

Menu (with moon phase reference I had to look up)

Grilled Cuumber and Ma-Zu Purple Eggplant
The fish sauce dressing and veggies were terrific. Sorry the top billed Cukes and Eggplant are buried in by supporting cast

The classic Kahngee

The classic Kahngee - mixed and ready to go. Wonderful hazelnuts. Maximum Umami.

Smokey Brisket w/ papaya salad

Smokey Brisket - tender and tasty AF

Pork Belly Banh Mi this one wasn’t as good as days of yore, and the untoasted bun was not much help

Who can forget Kahn’s Chicken Dumplings?

Brussels Brought me back to the days when nobody was serving this type of BS

Brussels

Coconut Bavarian w/salted almond, basil sauce, etc OMG!

14 Likes

Har. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honest question: is banh mi bread typically toasted either here or in more traditional banh mi joints?

1 Like

They are usually crispier - but not toasted.

Ah, copy.

I remember going to Red Medicine once, a long time ago, late at night. I had something that gave me the impression of kaffir, lemongrass, or fruit loops.

To chip in a little bit on your Banh Mi conversation @CiaoBob @WireMonkey

I visited Vietnam before. A good friend of mine has family who lives there, and they showed us around. Quite often in the mornings, my breakfast would be at these little food stands, sometimes in a ‘garage’, where they cook an egg on a pan with herbs.

They also offer Banh Mi, in which there’s very little meat presence, maybe a slice of loaf (fake ham?) and a smeer of pate. But in some ways, that might actually help, because it stands out to me from all the fully loaded versions of the sandwich I’ve had in America.
But on your inquiry about the bread, it was always very ‘airy’ with a crispy surface. Very different from the trend elsewhere, where baguette is very heavy or chewy, and has a lot of weight. I was told, because they were inhabited by French people, they kept the culture of making bread this way. A lot of people I asked also said the same, that this was the ‘proper’ way to make this kind of bread. I’d like to emphasize, the light airy quality of it. Personally, I like modernized sandwiches, but this made me appreciate Banh Mi more.

2 Likes

Sounds like cha lua

3 Likes

Could be! I’m not an expert, you probably know more than me. All I can recall is how paper thin it was sliced, compared to the rest of the herbs and topping in the sandwich.

The bahn mi bread he used to use at Red Medicine was a recipe developed by a Thomas Keller alumni whom Jordan knew but for a $50 dinner set I can’t imagine he’s gonna put that much effort into the bread.

3 Likes

As usual you are right.

The bread wasn’t bad but…
A) it wasn’t good compared to an average Little Saigon grab and go/eat
Or
B) something totally different - and delicious - like the pineapple bread/roll (sadly I have not had it yet) you are doing w/ the pork chop.

But I loved the rest of the meal, prawn chips excluded.

Well it ain’t congee that’s for sure.