Refreshing drinks (non-alcoholic)

Thuan Fat supermarket is straight up sugarcane juice. I used to go to the one on Valley back in the day!

I seen some of these SGV places making “cococane” as well as copycats in Little Saigon as well.

I say go with the place that originated it. It’s such a simple and genius idea. It is truly refreshing a mix of coconut water, sugarcane juice, and tender pieces of coconut.

1 Like

Watchout for those wretched kids :laughing:

3 Likes

Haha my aunt worked high up in the Chevys food chain when I was a kid and I always thought I was so cool knocking back virgin frozen daiquiris all dinner long.

Extra whipped cream of course.

1 Like

Yep @Sgee, Seedlip is catching on. Here’s something to make at home for yourself and to make your non-alcohol guests feel special.
https://seedlipdrinks.com/us/shop/

Si Laa on Robertson made the best Thai Iced Tea I’ve had so far, on point balance with sweetness.

1 Like

Got this at Pho Filet 2 in Rosemead:

It was, um… salty? Definitely somebody’s favorite drink but not mine. Still glad I tried it!

1 Like

I just get the regular…the pickled one isn’t exactly my cup of tea, either.

Noted!

At Menotti’s in Venice location, the secret-menu (behind the hanging picture frame) ‘Rob Van Winkle’ is among the most delicious tasting + and texture/heat put together cold coffee drink I’ve ever had. It’s cold brew (beans roasted to their specifics), cream (from more high fat content dairy), ice cubes (ask for the ones made of coffee), and most importantly, their house made vanilla syrup, ofcourse… because it’s Vanilla Ice. The version with maple is also quite good.

2 Likes

After getting Asada from La Carniceria…

We always pop into La Michoacana for a Paleta. But today as I walked in… I saw big new signs… MICHIAGUAS!!!

What is a Michiagua?

First you start with fresh fruit agua fresca. And they have quite a few… lime with cucumber, orange, even passion fruit!

Then… it’s given the micheliada treatment with Tajin and Chamoy and a TON of fresh cut fruit on top. It was HEAVEN. And Huge!

This was the Naranja con Pina one… The fruit is actually hovering above the drink in a dome lid 'dish). You can eat it with a fork or after yout take a few sips, you can dump it in the drink (My recommendation!), Like most of these crazy Mexican snacks… especially when Chamoy is involved… it’s messy. It’s glad you always have wet naps because it’s a pandemic sorta messy. But so refreshing and tingling all your notes. Sweet, sour, spicy, salty. As always, Chamoy is optional… and so you can just have it with Tajin if you don’t want re-live your crazy youth like me… but even so… be sure to ask for plenty of napkins so the occasional fruit overboard…

–Dommy!

11 Likes

There’s a new vendor at Echo Park Lake that popped up within the last month that sells agua fresca and michelaguas! I’ve tried mango, passionfruit, strawberry lemonade, and watermelon from them so far, but have yet to to try the michelaguas. They have them in cute barrel shaped and jar containers too. Maybe this weekend…

3 Likes

Nice! Is it a mobile business (wheeled vendor)? Or rooted near a specific corner of the Lake?

1 Like

It’s a stand (and pretty big one too) on the Echo Park Avenue side of the lake. They set up near the boathouse/Beacon Cafe. I forget what their name is, but they have a big black banner with pictures of the drinks. I’ve only seen them on weekends though, since there probably isn’t enough foot traffic to justify being there on weekdays. Not sure what time they start selling but they’re usually there in the early afternoon until sunset. A large plain agua fresca is $5. Super refreshing on these hot days!

3 Likes

Great scoop!

2 Likes

https://www.stayzeroproof.com/menu

New NA cocktail bar in Chinatown. In a legendary punk rock venue! Snacks by local HLP Kitchen Mouse. I recommend the house special tofu at nearby Jade Wok

3 Likes

I saw the eater article about this bar - our friend’s dad used to play there! Such a cool history

3 Likes

Fun related podcast/article from 99% Invisible about the venues in that plaza.

3 Likes