Reliable Sushi in Van Nuys/North Hollywood

my bad, jewel.

carry on.

my fucking bad.

I miss living in Studio City, I do not get to Daichan as often as I used to. One of my favorite places. When we go, two of us, it feels like a bargain, if you split an app. Pretty reasonable for what you get.

Chiba

I’m with you on this one (even though ithe thread is months old). Miya is a nice little place, the prices are right and everything is reasonably tasty.

The hamachi roll w/ the fried garlic is fun.

Just down the street is Sushi Don, which is the low-end outlet for Sasabune .

No fancy rolls. Nigiri combos, chirasi bowls. The B combo is 5 pc nigiri plus a roll and salad or miso soup. Under $15. And the fish is VERY tasty indeed.

Sushi Don has gone through so many price increases in the past few years it’s crazy.

They recently added poke ($12), decent and plentiful enough. BUT…they had (have?) a promo buy 1 get 1 50% off, so 2 dinner portions of poke = $18. It’s a very uh…minimalist interpretation of poke, esp. when compared to the current wave of poke places, but still I found it tasty.

Sushi Don also has one of the best iced green teas (maybe the best) that I’ve ever had.

(hanging my head)
i’ve become rather fond of costco poke.

The only bad thing I’ve ever heard about Costco poke is the fish pieces are too big. I’d get some if I were willing to go to Costco fri - sun

do they only have it on the weekends?
or are you avoiding the crowds?

i admit that place is an emotional nightmare for me. and, yes, the fish pieces in the poke
are irregular and not carefully cut. but it tastes pretty darn good, even the sea vegetables.

Ive been told only fri - sun. I’ve never seen it on a weekday and I avoid weekends due to the crowds.

Ahi Sushi at Ventura and Coldwater is quite good. Only a few blocks south of the 101.

On the same block, Iroha Sushi is far superior (IMO) at the same price range. Quality of fish is decent to good in both places, but Iroha typically has more interesting items on their specials board and has better kitchen work. Crowded, though.

sushi house of taka. it’s no shuni’s but it’s fun in the reliable fish and spicy rolls type place.

I’d like to note this thread as a fine example of folks definitely NOT limiting their sushi talk to high-end Mori, etc. places…

I’ll second your mention of Iroha. It’s been up and down over the years, but seems to be currently at the crest of an up wave. We don’t go a peak times and can usually get seats at the sushi bar. They also prepare takeout quite skillfully.

Sorry for the relatively late reply, My pick is just a tad south of NoHo, in Toluca Lake…

In my opinion, Sushi Yuzu is probably what you’re looking for. It’s better than your typical neighborhood sushi-ya, and prices are reasonable. Sit in front of Haya-san.

Sushi Yuzu
10118 Riverside Dr.
Los Angeles, CA 91602

is that the one in the little mall on the south side of the street? on the second floor?

Two-floor building, with the entry and main dining area on the ground floor…

Izakaya M. Ventura a block or two east of Woodman. Fair value and and a great HH til 6. Same owners a AYCE Midori.

thanks. i think i’ve been there, and, indeed, enjoyed it.

Komasa down the street is also by the Yuzu guys and pretty good. Great tempura soba lunch special.