Remedy Liquors in Glendale (for sake)

Damage incurred in the last 24 hours. The Teihaikai and the second paired with mariscos take out last night. I quite enjoyed the Teihaikai with dinner and it was the first sake that didn’t remind me of che com ruou. The flavors of this sake were much like a great and complex Chablis.
My friend procured the second bottle from a Japanese shop in Palm Springs. It was good, and different from the Born Gold that she usually drinks.
The Yuki No Boshu was a delight. My friend loved it and it’s now one of her favorites. I loved the way it smelled…fruity and floral, but it’s a bit sweet for me. Still very good.
Thanks, @beefnoguy, for your great advice and recs!

3 Likes

You’re welcome, glad to hear those picks worked out for you and your friends!

Personally I’m not a fan of Yuki No Bosha Junmai Ginjo (the 3rd bottle on the right in your picture), though it’s a good beginner’s sake. Like you say it’s fruity/floral and I agree, a bit too sweet, but it’s also very acidic.

Try this slightly more affordable lower end option from the same brewery, YUKI NO BOSHA SAKE YAMAHAI JUNMAI 720ML Yuki No Bosha Yamahai Junmai. It’s far more versatile and goes with a lot of things. I didn’t see it at the shop the week I was in town, so check with them. Make sure the bottling date is 2019. (or '19 followed by the digit for the month) though it might be interesting to taste a bottle from 2018 if within a year old and if stored in the refrigerator the entire time.

Try the above recommendation and the Maboroshi, perhaps even with Vietnamese food e.g. Bun Rieu, Banh Canh, Banh Xeo.

3 Likes