Reporting Back: Our Trip to San Francisco - Great Breakfasts, Lunch and Dinners :)

The mains were the problem - we actually had to send something back which I never do and the mains were cold by the time they reached us. Cocktails and atmosphere were good though. Sounds like you have the right idea.

It’s a special space. In the 70s, after they tore down the Iron Pot, when it was the Assay Office, we used to go there regularly for happy hour. In the Gold Rush it was the actual assay office.

Oops, urban legend, it was never the actual assay office. From the landmark summary:

This building and the Moulinie Building directly across Gold Street were acquired by a French sea captain during a voyage to California after the Gold Rush. The two buildings were owned by his family for over a century. The building has been home to Four Monks Winery, a cooperage, a truck storage depot, a gay bar named “Gold Street,” and since 1988 the bar and restaurant “Bix.”

More:

The space at 56 Gold St. … never was an actual Assay Office, and the above information is inaccurate. I know this because I used to work in that space from 1976-1977, which was a restaurant built by my late husband, who named it the Assay Office. It was a Barbary Coast themed design with a beautiful stained glass ceiling, etched glass windows on the front door, original Oak front and back bars, and miles of hand crafted molding throughout. Before my husband’s design, it was another restaurant named Gold St. which he had gutted and rebuilt.

Imgur

Our friends had a wedding reception there, which is how I learned of the place initially.

Update 4:

We just finished our latest SF trip. Here are all of the links collated together in case it’s helpful for anyone heading up to SF.

A nice Portuguese dinner:

A quick lunch of Handmade Pasta and Pizza:

Fun, festive, tasty Izakaya:

Another stunning Modern Mexican cuisine dinner and one of the best meals on this trip at Californios:

More fantastic Dim Sum goodness:

Best Pasta we’ve had in years! Sardinian cuisine with love:

Mediocre Dim Sum, but documenting it here for reference:

Possibly the Best Sushi we’ve had in the U.S. so far. Some incredible highlights:

Some quick morning Pastries and more at:

Some of the greatest Hong Kong BBQ we’ve had in the U.S. Stunning Roast Duck!

As before, none of these would’ve been possible without all of the great recommendations from our wonderful FTC’ers! Thanks again @beefnoguy @BradFord @PorkyBelly @ipsedixit @chandavkl @J_L @JeetKuneBao @chinchi @SFDiner @robert and so many others!

Can’t wait to come back!

6 Likes

Helpful summary!!!

1 Like