Republique - Stunning Brunch, Lunch & Pastries Galore [Thoughts + Pics]

Thanks for the great report! @Chowseeker1999

Convenient parking in their lot will definitely make it easier for me to visit. :slightly_smiling_face: :red_car:

If I were to get the Cubano to go, I’d probably ask them to not heat it so I can press it on the stove at home.

Hoping I can finally try the mango passion fruit pie and bomboloni if they’re offered.

1 Like

Classic So Cal style cheeseburger. Classic chocolate cake with a little salted carmel.

Eaten in the parking lot on top of my trunk lol

12 Likes

Hi @foodshutterbug,

Oh nice idea for the Cubano. :slight_smile:

I hope you get to try the Mango Passion Fruit Pie finally; it is incredible. Maybe try calling ahead to make sure (as @PorkyBelly mentioned). And for the Bomboloni, get the Creme Brulee one, (not the Sugar one). :slight_smile: Enjoy!

2 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Nice lunch! :slight_smile: Love the Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake. :heart:

How did you like their Burger? They usually cook it spot on, medium-rare, juicy, succulent. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really have nothing bad to say about it. It’s a classic So Cal cheeseburger done very well.

They had no mango today btw so I settled with a chocolate cake. Should have brought some milk to go with it! Hostess Ding Dongs and a glass of cold milk was one of my favorites as a kid!

6 Likes

Update 7: To-Go, Part 2

Picking up supplies for the week, and made a quick stop to pick up food To-Go. Beautiful Pastry case as always:

Their beautiful dining room converted for quick To-Go Order pickup. Social distancing was in full effect, with only 1 customer/party allowed in to order, or go pickup at a time.

Organic Multigrain Bread:

Picked up some Bread for the week to eat at home. We had never tried Republique’s Organic Multigrain Bread before, but figured it was a good time to try. :slight_smile:

There’s a nice sturdy exterior with a nutty, earthy aroma within. Soft, pillowy, still moist-ish center (not dried out Bread). Looking forward to enjoying this with various home cooked meals this week. :slight_smile:

With our beloved FTC’ers posing the question if they can get a slice of Pastry-Chef & Co-Owner Margarita Manzke’s legendary and arguably best Dessert, we found a way to get a slice…

Mango Passion Fruit Cream Pie (Whole):

We gave half to our dear older relative (and helped buy some groceries for them), and enjoyed a slice:

Beautiful, tropical fresh Mango slices, the inherent sweetness balances the Passion Fruit and light, delicate Cream. And then you get Margarita Manzke’s incredible buttery Pie crust! :heart: :blush: :heart: (@PorkyBelly @J_L @attran99 @TheCookie @JeetKuneBao @paranoidgarliclover @hanhgry @foodshutterbug @Ns1 @A5KOBE and others!)

The Whole Mango Passion Fruit Cream Pie was so worth it. :slight_smile: Our relative called later and thanked us, saying it was the most incredible Dessert they’ve had in a long time. :blush:

(NEW) Campanelle Pasta (Tomato, Parmesan):

The menu description makes this sound rather underwhelming, until you take a bite…

STUPID GOOD! :heart:

Chef Walter Manzke and team’s Handmade Campanelle Pasta is this cute ruffled edge shaped Pasta, with a gorgeous al dente, toothsome chew, but still tender. But it’s the incredible deeply, drool-worthy Housemade Tomato Sauce - herbal, savory, umami, sweet, with enough acidity to balance - and the Parmesan light funk addition at the end. SO GOOD! :heart:

Republique To-Go currently features 3 outstanding Pastas for a nice Takeout meal for home (the others being the Rigatoni Bolognese and Cacio e Pepe). Do not miss this. :blush: (@A5KOBE @PorkyBelly @J_L and others!)

Republique
624 S. La Brea Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Tel: (310) 362-6115

15 Likes

Thanks for the updated report @Chowseeker1999, are they taking reservations for whole pies or did they just happen to have a whole one when you arrived?

1 Like

Hi @PorkyBelly,

You can reserve a whole pie. :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://republiquela.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2020/03/Cake-Order-Form-Feb2020_fillable-1.pdf

https://republiquela.com/pre-order-cakes-tarts/

6 Likes

Thanks for the recs @Chowseeker1999! I’ll be hitting them very soon.

1 Like

The short rib dinner was also pretty good and a fair value @ $65 as it broke down into a little less than 4 meals for average eaters.

4 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

Thanks! :slight_smile: Have you ever tried the 3 Layer Carrot Cake, or the Banana Cream Pie? Wonder how they compare to the amazing Mango. :slight_smile:

Hi @Ns1,

Thanks! I just looked at the additional dishes they added into that dinner. Which dessert of the day did they give you? Thanks.

Never had the carrot cake. The banana cream pie is darn good, although I would take the mango passion fruit 9 times out of 10. The banana cream pie is classic in taste, executed to perfection. The one that was as good as the mango passion fruit IMO was the coconut key lime pie, which I have not seen in over a year. The berry tres leches is quite good, although not whole cake worthy, a slice will suffice.

Did they have carrot cake slices during your visit?

1 Like

Hi @A5KOBE,

Oh thanks! No, we didn’t see the 3 Layer Carrot Cake, but noticed it on your order form you posted. :smile:

I’ll keep an eye out for the Coconut Key Lime Pie. Sounds amazing! :slight_smile:

Salted caramel chocolate cake. Would’ve preferred the crisp they offered the night before tbh but my wife enjoyed it.

1 Like

Rigatoni Bolognese: Still boss…

7 Likes

I like how you plated properly for personal consumption.

P.S. the mango passionfruit pie was a thing of beauty. It is the world’s most perfect pie…and I thought it was already perfect without the mango.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Sadly no basque cheesecake :frowning: