Republique - Stunning Brunch, Lunch & Pastries Galore [Thoughts + Pics]

I need one go get their mango pie

Your superior food reporting and appetite never cease to amaze me @Chowseeker1999

I’m gonna have to temporarily go off my diet to try the mango passionfruit pie!

I love Cubano sandwiches, but oftentimes I find the quality of ham and roast pork lacking — looking forward to trying this one in the future.

3 Likes

So I bought the “baking at Rebublique” cookbook hoping to find the salted caramel chocolate cake recipe, and the passion fruit mango cream pie recipe. Nope. Oh well I will just have to fake it. Will post my efforts in Homecooking after Lent.

8 Likes

Hi @foodshutterbug,

You are too kind. :slight_smile: Not sure if it’s worth breaking your diet over the manga passion fruit cream pie, and the Cuban sandwich, but if you do, hopefully you’ll enjoy it as much as I did! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Chowseeker1999 Thanks for your concerned reply - I’d probably have a high protein bfast at home and then go for the mango passionfruit or other cream pie and a bomboloni as a high carb lunch :grin: I’ve been planning a pastry visit to Republique for the past 3 years while losing close to 30 lbs so far. I’ve earned a visit!

As for the Cubano, I won’t get it for a few more months. Given that the ham and pork are made in house in small batches, 1/2 a leftover sandwich will likely not lose too much flavor.

I’ve had Cubanos at Porto’s and at Versailles in Miami and their ham and roast pork has the distinctive taste of mass produced pork — smearing it with pungent yellow mustard, sharp tasting pickles and topping it with melted Swiss cheese helps to offset those flavors, but I want to taste really good pork and ham, hence my curiosity with Chef Manzke’s version.

2 Likes

Hi @foodshutterbug,

Congrats! Nice job on your diet. :slight_smile: If you eventually make it over to Republique hoping you enjoy your visit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Republique is now offering Delivery and Take-Out during this pandemic.

We are open for pick up & delivery starting Wednesday, March 18th!

Starting tomorrow morning, we will be serving an assortment of pastries and favorites from our breakfast, lunch and dinner menus.

Hours will be from 8am - 7pm .

Call the restaurant to place your order at 310-362-6115 !

And keep your eye out for our partnerships with GrubHub and Postmates coming soon!

7 Likes

mmmmm
now is everybody’s chance to get the rigatoni bolognese. The best pasta in the city (in my always humble opinion).

4 Likes

Even though the bread looks all wrong, I gotta try that Cuban!

1 Like

Update (To-Go):

For those that are curious how Republique is handling To-Go and Delivery Orders during this Coronavirus pandemic, we stopped by to see how their food might hold up To-Go.

First, when you walk in, it’s very somber: There was only 1 couple ahead of us, and they only let in 1 party at a time to order for takeout or pick-up your pre-order. Social distancing was in full effect:

Secondly, you know it’s grim when Award-Winning Pastry Chef & Co-Owner Margarita Manzke was personally serving us(!). She was taking our order To-Go and what Pastries we wanted to select. We asked how she and her husband were holding up.

The good news: Chef-Owner Walter Manzke was up and about, walking (gingerly) and helping out around the restaurant with just them 2 and a couple other people. But we wished him well and it was nice to see him walking again! :slight_smile: (@PorkyBelly @TheCookie @J_L @attran99 @A5KOBE and others.)

Republique’s beautiful dining room now has most of its tables and chairs removed. Just a long table for To-Go Orders and Delivery services to grab and go.

Mango Passion Fruit Cream Pie:

Even in these dark times, we were glad to see Republique offering their amazing Mango Passion Fruit Cream Pie To Go! It was absolutely delicious even To-Go! Tropical, creamy, luscious, balanced, not overly sweet! SO GOOD! :heart: (@TheCookie @attran99 @A5KOBE @PorkyBelly @J_L @JeetKuneBao @hanhgry @foodshutterbug and others.)

Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake:

It was also nice to see Pastry Chef Margarita Manzke still making her outstanding Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake To-Go! This was still so moist, decadent, perfect salty & sweet and chocolatey, even after we got back. :heart:

Lemon Poppyseed Tea Cake & Blueberry Coconut Tea Cake:

Both the Lemon Poppyseed & Blueberry Coconut Tea Cakes were as moist, crumbly and flavorful as dining in, even To-Go. They held up well for the car ride. :slight_smile:

Cuban Sandwich (Slow Roasted Pork, House-Cured Ham, Gruyere Cheese, Garlic Mojo, Dijon Mustard, Pickles):

First, the good: The Side Salad held up just fine for the drive back. The greens were crisp and so fresh! The Lemon Dressing was perfect when we added it on, and it was a generous portion. :slight_smile:

Next: Warning FTC’ers, the Cuban Sandwich itself does not travel well. :frowning: The appeal of it is the crisped, just toasted crunchy outer crust, and melty Gruyere Cheese. Sitting in a closed container, the Sandwich loses its crispy crunch (steaming), and it turns soggy. :sob:

The actual House-Cured Ham and Slow Roasted Pork were tasty and fresh and porky, but the whole Sandwich just didn’t hold up at all, and got soft. :frowning:

Brussels Sprouts (Calabrian Chili, Garlic, Parmesan):

Their Brussels Sprouts were very good and held up well To-Go. Still with a nice saute, tender, bright from the Calabrian Chili and Garlic blend, and a bit of Parmesan pungency to mix things up.

Rigatoni Bolognese (Grass-Fed Beef and Cook Ranch Pork Ragout, Parmesan):

And finally, their Rigatoni Bolognese held up well To-Go! Still al dente, with a nice toothsome quality to the Rigatoni, the Grass Fed Beef and Cook Ranch Pork Bolognese Sauce was complex, deeply savory, so satisfying and flat out delicious! :heart:

As long as you’re ordering items that don’t depend on crispy / crunchy / toasted qualities, Republique To Go holds up quite well. If nothing else, don’t miss out on some of the best Desserts in the city, even in To-Go / Delivery Only mode, with the Mango Passion Fruit Cream Pie, the Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake, their Creme Brulee Bomboloni and Tea Cakes, and enjoy their Pastas To-Go. Their Rigatoni Bolognese made for an excellent Lunch. :slight_smile:

Republique
624 S. La Brea Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Tel: (310) 362-6115

18 Likes

Forgot to mention:

They have Free Parking in their parking lot, which used to be for Valet, but that’s no longer happening. This makes it much easier to just pull up, get your To-Go order and be out of there in minutes.

9 Likes

I might drive out there just for the Bolognese and mango passion fruit pie. Drool. But if I make that long drive I should just pick up a lot of cake and pastries. Hmmm.

Good to hear chef is walking around.

4 Likes

Glad to hear that Did you order ahead or order while there? And were there many people waiting around? (doesn’t look like it from the pics) The reason I ask is that I’m totally fine waiting a long time for an order to be prepped since everyone’s running w/ a minimal crew, but I am, er, sensitive to waiting w/ people who may not be standing 3-6 ft apart

Glad to hear Walter Manzke is up and walking.

2 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Thanks. We ordered ahead of time, but they let you choose Pastries, Cakes, Pies when you arrive (if you want them). There was only 1 couple ahead of us already ordering and in the restaurant. And only 1 customer after us (waiting outside).

They were very good in letting only 1 party in at a time to the pastry area and to pay (if they didn’t already), or else, you go directly to the To-Go Pick-Up Table (the one I took a picture of above), get your order and leave immediately, so it was nice. (Empty.)

7 Likes

Thanks for the great report! @Chowseeker1999

Convenient parking in their lot will definitely make it easier for me to visit. :slightly_smiling_face: :red_car:

If I were to get the Cubano to go, I’d probably ask them to not heat it so I can press it on the stove at home.

Hoping I can finally try the mango passion fruit pie and bomboloni if they’re offered.

1 Like

Classic So Cal style cheeseburger. Classic chocolate cake with a little salted carmel.

Eaten in the parking lot on top of my trunk lol

12 Likes

Hi @foodshutterbug,

Oh nice idea for the Cubano. :slight_smile:

I hope you get to try the Mango Passion Fruit Pie finally; it is incredible. Maybe try calling ahead to make sure (as @PorkyBelly mentioned). And for the Bomboloni, get the Creme Brulee one, (not the Sugar one). :slight_smile: Enjoy!

2 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Nice lunch! :slight_smile: Love the Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake. :heart:

How did you like their Burger? They usually cook it spot on, medium-rare, juicy, succulent. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really have nothing bad to say about it. It’s a classic So Cal cheeseburger done very well.

They had no mango today btw so I settled with a chocolate cake. Should have brought some milk to go with it! Hostess Ding Dongs and a glass of cold milk was one of my favorites as a kid!

6 Likes

Update 7: To-Go, Part 2

Picking up supplies for the week, and made a quick stop to pick up food To-Go. Beautiful Pastry case as always:

Their beautiful dining room converted for quick To-Go Order pickup. Social distancing was in full effect, with only 1 customer/party allowed in to order, or go pickup at a time.

Organic Multigrain Bread:

Picked up some Bread for the week to eat at home. We had never tried Republique’s Organic Multigrain Bread before, but figured it was a good time to try. :slight_smile:

There’s a nice sturdy exterior with a nutty, earthy aroma within. Soft, pillowy, still moist-ish center (not dried out Bread). Looking forward to enjoying this with various home cooked meals this week. :slight_smile:

With our beloved FTC’ers posing the question if they can get a slice of Pastry-Chef & Co-Owner Margarita Manzke’s legendary and arguably best Dessert, we found a way to get a slice

Mango Passion Fruit Cream Pie (Whole):

We gave half to our dear older relative (and helped buy some groceries for them), and enjoyed a slice:

Beautiful, tropical fresh Mango slices, the inherent sweetness balances the Passion Fruit and light, delicate Cream. And then you get Margarita Manzke’s incredible buttery Pie crust! :heart: :blush: :heart: (@PorkyBelly @J_L @attran99 @TheCookie @JeetKuneBao @paranoidgarliclover @hanhgry @foodshutterbug @Ns1 @A5KOBE and others!)

The Whole Mango Passion Fruit Cream Pie was so worth it. :slight_smile: Our relative called later and thanked us, saying it was the most incredible Dessert they’ve had in a long time. :blush:

(NEW) Campanelle Pasta (Tomato, Parmesan):

The menu description makes this sound rather underwhelming, until you take a bite

STUPID GOOD! :heart:

Chef Walter Manzke and team’s Handmade Campanelle Pasta is this cute ruffled edge shaped Pasta, with a gorgeous al dente, toothsome chew, but still tender. But it’s the incredible deeply, drool-worthy Housemade Tomato Sauce - herbal, savory, umami, sweet, with enough acidity to balance - and the Parmesan light funk addition at the end. SO GOOD! :heart:

Republique To-Go currently features 3 outstanding Pastas for a nice Takeout meal for home (the others being the Rigatoni Bolognese and Cacio e Pepe). Do not miss this. :blush: (@A5KOBE @PorkyBelly @J_L and others!)

Republique
624 S. La Brea Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Tel: (310) 362-6115

15 Likes