Republique - Stunning Brunch, Lunch & Pastries Galore [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

11 Likes

I am glad you liked it. Republique can be a bit of a zoo on weekend mornings, but the food is so great. The Wild Mushroom Toast is one of my favorite dishes around town.

1 Like

Everything looks delicious. The lukewarm reviews on CH and FTC have deterred me from visiting; looks like I’ll have to reconsider.

Thanks for the report and extensive visual coverage.

Was it on savory side? Or was it simply sweet?

After trying many versions of Kouign-amann, I find that I prefer this Breton cake on the savory-sweet side.

Just one sweet flavor tone and the thing tastes too much like a donut on a butter binge.

Fabulous report, by the way. Kudos.

The untouched eggs on the kimchee fried rice look truly SEDUCTIVE… :smile:

Thanks @BHAppeal! I wouldn’t have bothered with the crowds if it wasn’t for your recommendation in the first place. :wink:

@Sgee: Oh there are definitely some dishes at Republique’s dinner that my friends and I didn’t like; not everything on that menu is a hit. But there were some good dishes as well, and my first time for brunch (above) was definitely a surprise. If you go, report back! :smile:

the crowds for brunch have deterred me as well----but that wild mushroom toast is making me consider either getting up early on a Sunday or dealing w/ the line. great photos too!

Bouchon does a pretty sweet and very good version.

1 Like

i’m hardly an expert on this sort of thing, but thoroughly enjoyed the kouign-amann at mccall’s.

I was a bit disappointed w/ my brunch meal at Republique. I also ordered the Shakshouka, and while it sounded and looked fantastic, the flavor profile didn’t deliver. It was very one note, and that note was tart. Maybe the tomatoes weren’t fully ripe or something, but it just didn’t work for me. Agree that their pastry selection is great and their baguette is really fantastic. It used to be free upon request during dinner but I think they have since started charging for it.

Hi @ipsedixit,

It was just sweet, no savory. But your description sounds intriguing for Kouign-amann!

So is this savory-sweet version you like sort of like the idea behind “Salted Caramel” type desserts?

Where would you recommend some good savory-sweet versions. I must try it! :smile:

Thanks~

Thanks @Porthos, @linus. Got it. I’ll have to try Bouchon and McCall’s versions. :smile:

I love mccall’s also. So buttery, delicious and not too sugary.

The Bouchon one was excellent the 1-2 times I’ve had it. I vaguely recall Huckleberry having one, but I also vaguely recall it not being at all similar to the one at Bouchon (although I think I still enjoyed it).

No, not exactly.

The salt is understated and almost muted, unlike a salted caramel ice cream for example where the two flavor dimensions often take center stage, each providing a nice counterpoint to the other.

The salt in the kouign-amann, by contrast, is there to provide the an inconspicuous hint of savoriness, and not something you pick up on unless you are told about it, or are looking for it. Sort of like how in certain chocolate desserts some people will add instant espresso to create an extra dimension of taste, and unless you look for it, you just think that you’re eating kick-ass chocolate.

Dominique Ansel Kitchen (not the Bakery) in Manhattan.

You’re welcome!

1 Like

If you’re in the bay area get a pair of kouigns at b patisserie.

2 Likes

My favorite kouign amann that I’ve tried is the white miso kouign amann from Sugarbloom Bakery. Sugarbloom Bakery: About. The umami from the white miso takes it to another level. You can get it all around town; places are on the website.

I have to check out republique

For me, the kouign-amann is all about the butter (as you probably already know, the word “amann” means butter in Breton). My distant relatives are from Brittany, and they use half salted butter, half unsalted butter when they make the buttercake. And a ridiculous amount of butter, at that…

My favorite iteration of this cake in L.A. is at Pitchoun. My very favorite kouign-amann ever comes from a little patisserie just outside Rennes (France), and it’s sweet/buttery, with just a tad savory, with exquisite flakiness & layering.

3 Likes

I’ve always been disappointed by the one at Pitchoun. It’s never tasted particularly buttery to me. A chacun son la vie.

I like the croissants okay at Pitchoun. Certainly way better than many atrocities around DTLA.

I like the kouign amann at bread lounge on Santa Fe in DTLA better than the one at Pitchoun. But I like the white miso one at stumptown next door better.

Concur. And that brings us to the problem with so many of the kouign-amann around town nowadays.

Cheap butter.

And then the use of sugar, and copious amounts of sugar, to hide the cheap butter.