Republique

See the gradient of red within the steak probably means it wasn’t sous vide’d. Otherwise it’d be a far more uniform color inside.

Also it takes almost no time at all to cook a 14oz NY strip. No reason to even sous vide it.

1 Like

Basque Burnt Cheesecake

Burnt on top w/undercooked creaminess (eggs, cream cheese, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla) inside. :heart_eyes: Hard to explain, just get it. Beware: it’s really rich!

8 Likes

I’ve had this recipe sitting in my inbox all summer long and never got to making it. You may have inspired me this weekend.

2 Likes

That looks amazing!

1 Like

La Viña rules.

1 Like

Nice, must be the flavor of the month. Had a version at ronan recently.

Chef beran’s la vina recipe

2 Likes

I discovered something. It’s so rich I’ve just been noshing on it thru the day. But the smooth creamy consistency starts to change a bit after sitting. Best to eat asap.

Edit: or keep it in the fridge.

What time do you go in to buy pastries?

1 Like

It was the husband. He went around 10am.

3 Likes

I have fallen in love with Basque cuisine lately. Posted on the Tahoe/Truckee board about my introduction to it. Along with Alsatian, and Yunnan I think it is one of the most underrated cuisines in the world…and Georgian…there are so many, and so little time…

2 Likes

Going on Sunday. Has anyone had the Campanelle w/Lobster, Lemon, Basil? Wondering how basil-y it is? I don’t want to be removed from FTC, but I don’t love basil.

1 Like

tried it a few months ago, i don’t remember it being basil-y and they’re easily avoidable.

don’t forget to try the en croute for dessert.

1 Like

Oh dear and I was just thinking of making you some pesto with my basil tree…

4 Likes

Okay yes, I can pick those basils off. This is hard because I love little bites and they have the best little bites (savory beignets, smoked tomato tartare caviar crostini! that bread & butter! those little soups).

Thank you. I will definitely have my dessert en croute’d.

1 Like

Basil: I eat it. I serve it. I try to grow it. But I just don’t love it. It must know I don’t because it always dies on me. Yours is absolutely lovely @ebethsdad.

1 Like
4 Likes

Snapped a shot of the peaches!

6 Likes

You’re here! I hope you’re having a great food time!

1 Like

read nicole rucker’s dappled cookbook and it seems this is how bakers love to store their fruit, the ones that continue to ripen (climacteric) after picking…placing them in a single layer in a baking sheet lined with paper towels and arranging them based on ripeness…

5 Likes

Thanks! Here and gone. Didn’t dine around too much this trip: Republique, Gjusta, and met a friend in Little Tokyo for lunch at Tenno Sushi.

1 Like