Republique

Damn. I’m not sure I ever realized there was a breakfast menu. Just got in line and looked at what was in front of me.

thanks for the report. glad you liked the en croute, probably my favorite dessert at republique, worth the wait.

1 Like

I ordered it on your recommendation.

1 Like

Awesome meal to go with what sounds like a lovely evening! That pork-o-platter looks awfully tempting along with the en croute.

1 Like

They were both wonderful. Had the leftover pork for dinner last night (it was a lot of food). Really good even as a leftover. Don’t where we will go to top it next year. Maybe Chi Spacca?

potato and leek beignets, gruyere, horseradish

eggs on toast, soft-scrambled eggs, santa barbara uni
my kind of surf n turf

beef tartare, seed cracker, charred eggplant, yogurt, dill
delicious

soup

bread, rodolphe le meunier butter
The upper crust of baguettes in la

big eye tuna ceviche, sungold tomato, avocado, chile, lime
the tuna was sitting on top of some kind of tomato gelee that was a bit too tart.

channel islands rock cod, koshihikari rice, grilled maitake mushrooms, dashi
A bit unbalanced with too much acid.

spaghetti, local calamari, heirloom tomato, calabrian chile, meyer lemon
bright and acidic, but i prefer the lobster

cutting into the monkey brains
republique_20190802_193527_1

spooning out the brains
republique_20190802_193527_2

en croute, raspberry, nectarine, basil
highlight of the night @TheCookie

10 Likes

Yum @PorkyBelly!

It’s a gorgeous dish though.

As would anyone.

I am so looking forward to that Fruit en Croute! A couple of our SB friends have been wanting to go to Republique and were begging us to hook it up. Okay, so, we did and they’re suddenly MIA. :smirk: Hey, you asked us! Anyway, maybe we’ll stop by just for dessert. Now, that sounds like a plan!

3 Likes

Who’s gonna be first

1 Like

3-to-2 odds it’s PB.

1 Like

We should all go together!

2 Likes

We’ve done a few dinners at the table where we’ve let Chef Walter go ham in a multi course tasting menu format.

Always kills it.

One of my all time favorite wine/food pairings was a Dover sole he did with a red wine glaze, mushrooms and truffles. We were drinking all aged N. Rhones and when he suggested doing a fish to go with it we were all a pretty perplexed. Then that dish came out… it was perfection.

He also did a Rib cap + Foie + truffle dish to cap off the night which was one of the more decadent things I’ve ever eaten.

4 Likes

potato and leek beignets, gruyere, horseradish

potato and leek soup

bread, pan drippings
reminds me of dipping a baguette into a more concentrated bo kho broth.

(new) partridge terrine, pear mostarda, santa barbara pistachios, toasted baguette
this is my kind of christmas, two eggs on toast and a partridge in a pear mostarda.

eggs on toast, soft scrambled eggs, santa barbara uni

heirloom tomatoes, gioia burrata, oven-dried peaches, basil
highlight. i can’t not order anything with peaches or burrata. @Bookwich

bucatini, cacio e pepe
finally tried their cacio e pepe thanks to @Chowseeker1999. loved the thick chewy bucatini and the nice balance of cheese and pepper, neither overpowering the other.

(new) tare-glazed beef short rib, shimeji, maitake and shiitake mushrooms, koshihikari rice, dashi
highlight. super tender (knives need not apply), smoky, sweet beef that’s paired perfectly with the mushrooms and pickles.

(new) pear en croute, salted carmel, chocolate
there’s still no salted caramel chocolate cake on the menu but this might be the next best thing. the peaches have been replaced with pears and instead of vanilla ice cream there’s salted carmel and chocolate ice cream. @TheCookie, @attran99

12 Likes

And here I’m no longer excited for my lunch because it’s not Republique. Looks so amazing!

2 Likes

How many people did you share this meal with? Please tell me you ate all this by yourself.

1 Like

Right? You’re a great scout, thanks! I’m going to drop by for a bar snack before the peaches are all gone. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not something you actually “have” to answer, but are they both Chinese? Growing up, the “elders” made a big deal of trying to outdo each other in terms of trying to pay for the meal, and I assume it was considered shameful to not make a big deal of trying to secretly pay for the meal…

Back on-topic… Food, as usual, all looks delicious.

1 Like

Ohhh…

You’re killing me with these meals. I’m trying to be good. Plus, trying to check out new places, but these Republique reports keep pulling me back in. Don’t be surprised to find me there by the end of the week.

Mine too!

…and coinkydinks abound. I have some great nectarines, heirloom tomatoes and yes, basil. I’ve been trying to remember a dish you had with similar ingredients last year. Bingo! I don’t have burrata. I have kefir labneh. :grin: It needs using. Oven-dried peaches are a smart and interesting twist. Looks like there’s fresh white ones too? What is the liquid?

Sorry folks. Bare with me. I’m almost done.

The other coinky is I only clicked on this thread to make a PSA, then saw you tagged me. Anyway, here it is…

Basque Cheesecake again. PSA: I must stress it should be eaten within 10-15 mins and in one sitting. If I eat half then go back the silky creaminess is gone replaced with a curdled (not curdle tasting) consistency. So odd.

4 Likes

No we are all classic American white bread folks; Anglo-Saxon, Irish, northern European ancestry. I think its that we all struggled for money during our early years and then finally have a bit. Makes you want to pay it forward.
I read a wonderful blurb about Chinese table manners in Carolyn Phillips’ book, “All Under Heaven” that struck me as a beautiful element of Chinese culture. Not only vying for the check, but deferring to the elderly, making sure others were served before you, that they received the best morsels, and gratitude for your host. There is much to be said for traditional manners.

3 Likes

Is the cheesecake available for dinner or lunch or both?

Since I have a personal Republique shopper aka husband I’m not quite sure, but think it’s a daytime bakery item. He gets it sliced to order from the bakery case in the early to late morning. It’s dreamy.

3 Likes