Republique

Nice report! I was intrigued by the chips and dip, is it ordering?

And yes, definitely try the Redbird lobster pasta, I’ll be back soon.

1 Like

Any of their fruit salad desserts are a must order for me.

1 Like

Glad you got a chance to try the lobster pasta, thanks for the report.

1 Like

eggs on toast - soft-scrambled eggs, santa barbara uni
uni, toast, tres…
republique_20180629_175241

roasted summer corn, australian black winter truffles, parmesan, lime
Uni-corn. Good but didn’t need the truffles.
republique_20180629_175648

live santa barbara spot prawns, munak ranch tomatoes, olive oil, basil
prawns were excellent and perfectly cooked, the tomato coulis was a bit too acidic.
republique_20180629_180939

channel islands rock fish, crab fried rice, chanterelle mushrooms, sugar snap peas
fish was good, sauce was pretty rich, didn’t taste much crab.
republique_20180703_103059

republique_20180629_182649

creme caramel, harry’s berries strawberries, elderflower ice cream
A balanced diet is saving room for dessert. Delicious.
republique_20180703_103349

republique_20180629_185114

12 Likes

I see ur on dat seafood and salad diet :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Catching up on our last 3 visits to Republique.

Chef Walter Manzke’s flagship restaurant, his pedigree having worked at El Bulli and Alain Ducasse is on full display here. Occupying a historic space originally built for Charlie Chaplin and then later as the restaurant Campanile, it is still as photogenic and beautiful as before.

While the entire bar staff looks different on this visit, I decided to see how the Cocktails were faring.

Mandarinquat (Gin, Basil, Yuzu):

This sounded amazing, but it was a touch too boozy, off-balance, but drinkable.

Amuse Bouche: Potato and Leek Beignet (Gruyere, Horseradish Aioli):

Perfectly crispy, light, piping hot (freshly fried). A delicious way to start the meal. :slight_smile:

Coleman Farms Little Gems (Pinkerton Avocados, Breakfast Radish, Toasted Seeds, Green Goddess Dressing):

In a city where Salads are ubiquitous, but many feel like an afterthought (as if the kitchen was forced to offer some Salads out of necessity for customer demand), the Coleman Farms Little Gems Salad is simply outstanding: Crisp, bright, vibrant, the quality of the greens is without question, but it’s also the composition of the Breakfast Radishes, Toasted Seeds and Radish Sprouts. Bits of ripe, creamy, buttery Pinkerton Avocados elevate it even more, and the Housemade Green Goddess Dressing gives it just enough of a spark. One of the better Salads we’ve had recently. :slight_smile:

Charcuterie Board (featuring a selection of all Housemade Charcuterie):

Housemade Pork Rillettes, Pork Terrine, Rabbit Terrine, Duck Terrine, Coppa, Guanciale, Duck Liver:

They were all pretty delicious, but my favorites were probably the Rabbit Terrine and Duck Terrine on this visit. Just perfectly balanced: Creamy, fatty, but not overwhelming, not overly salty, so good, especially with their Housemade Baguette. :slight_smile:

Mafaldine (Maine Lobster, Santa Barbara Uni):

While their Appetizers and Salads have some hits (and some misses over the years), one thing that Republique excels at are its Pastas. They were so consistently good over the years that it inspired @Porthos to create a thread based on that years ago and it still holds true today, especially with their Mafaldine Pasta.

Resembling a squiggly Fettuccine Noodle, the Mafaldine is glorious: Supple, nicely cooked chunks of Maine Lobster, a bit of Santa Barbara Uni mixed into the Pasta Sauce and the nice mouthfeel and chew of the perfectly al dente Pasta. It is a must order! :heart: (There’s a reason @PorkyBelly raves about it so much, it is fantastic!) :slight_smile:

We fell in love with it months ago and was glad to see it remain on the menu until now (usually they rotate Pastas quite a bit).

Mary’s Organic Roasted Chicken (Braised Greens, Fingerling Potatoes, Dijon Mustard):

Their large format dishes can be hit-or-miss at times, and on this occasion it was a slight miss: The Mary’s Organic Roasted Chicken wasn’t bad, but it just didn’t sing either. It tasted like a solid, competent Roast Chicken, seasoned well (not too salty), but with flabby skin (not roasted enough to crisp the skin) and a safe seasoning profile, it tasted like a typical “Roast Chicken.” You get plenty of food for $39 in this dish, but it’s not something we’d order again.

Brown Butter Almond Cake (Citrus-Raspberry Sauce, Thyme Ice Cream):

Pastry Chef Margarita Manzke has been delivering excellent Pastries and Desserts for Republique since it opened up, and the Brown Butter Almond Cake is a wonderful example of that. The Almond Cake itself is fragrant, delicately sweet and with nice Almond notes, the Citrus-Raspberry Sauce a nice counterpoint and the Thyme Ice Cream is interesting, complementing the dish instead of overwhelming with more sweetness.

Mille-Feuille (Hazelnut, Banana, Chocolate):

This was tasty, but not really a traditional Mille-feuille that you might expect (which is what I was hoping for). It lacked the super crisp, light thin layers. It was still delicious, but kind of big and bulky and disparate at times.

On another visit…

I started with their Hotel Nacional (Rum, Pineapple, Apricot, Lime):

This definitely was not as good as before. The change in bartending staff is real, and it’s taken a hit. :frowning: The Hotel Nacional was unbalanced, with way too much Rum and it tasted rough. A far cry from the excellent Nacional I had with Republique about a year ago. And a far cry from the great drinks that Beverage Maestro Julian Cox and his students would generate from the Rivera days (to early Bestia, Picca, Fiscal Agent and many more places).

Housemade Bread & Normandy Butter:

SO GOOD! :heart:

Potato and Leek Beignet (Gruyere, Horseradish Aioli):

Just as good as the last visit. :slight_smile:

European White Asparagus (Sauce Maltaise, Baby Mache):

Excellent, beautiful, deeply savory White Asparagus. :blush: Great recommendation, thanks @PorkyBelly! I loved the Sauce Maltaise as well; never overpowering the Asparagus.

Hudson Valley Foie Gras (Pudwill Farms Blackberries, Braised Tokyo Turnips):

Buttery, luscious, perfectly cooked Foie Gras. Outstanding. :heart:

Brussels Sprouts (Thao Farms Arugula, Salsa Verde, Drake Family Goat Cheese):

This was a refreshing Brussels Sprouts Salad, a great interplay between the bitterness and slight crisp leafiness of the Arugula with the tender, slow-roasted Brussels Sprouts. The Drake Family Goat Cheese added just the right amount of pungent punch that only Goat Cheese can provide. :slight_smile:

White Salad (Endive, Hearts of Palm, Sunchokes, Creme Fraiche, Hazelnuts, Parmesan):

Another refreshing, quality Salad that stands out from most offerings around town. We liked the Brussels Sprouts Salad more.

English Pea Agnolotti (Nigel’s Pancetta, Andante Dairy Goat Cheese, Mint):

Simple-sounding, but Chef Manzke and staff exhibit the understanding that you don’t always need a myriad of ingredients or extravagant preparations to make a delicious dish: The Agnolotti were perfectly cooked, the fresh English Peas give that unmistakable bright, green sweetness that only fresh English Peas can give (nothing like the frozen Peas more commonly found), and the bit of porky fattiness from the Nigel’s Pancetta and the creaminess from the Andante Goat Cheese made this another great Pasta offering. :slight_smile:

Duck Confit (Sweet Potato, Roasted Beets, Blueberry-Peppercorn Sauce):

The Duck Confit had wonderful crispy skin and a tender, long-cooked flavor. :slight_smile: However, it was a touch too salty (not by much, but just a bit oversalted to make it slightly off). If the sodium was dialed back just a bit this would’ve been outstanding.

Handmade Ice Cream - Hazelnut, Vanilla, Earl Grey, Pistachio Raspberry, Black Sesame Orange:

We were celebrating one of my best friend’s birthdays, and Republique was nice enough to give us this selection of Ice Creams to celebrate. :slight_smile: They were all well-made Ice Creams, with Earl Grey being my favorite, with a strong Bergamot scent coming through.

And while I really like and love many of Pastry Chef Margarita Manzke’s Pastries and Desserts, they just don’t compare at all to the burst of pure flavor that Bulgarini’s legendary Gelato has. Yes, they are different things, but I’m just completely spoiled by Bulgarini and any kind of “Ice Cream” or “Gelato” that I come across post-Bulgarini is just OK in comparison.

Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake:

If you love Chocolate or anything that even hints of Chocolate, this Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake is for you! :wink: This Dessert is so decadent and pure Chocolate madness that my best friend, the birthday girl, couldn’t stop raving about it. :blush: It was delicious.

On another recent visit (15th visit?)…

Amuse Bouche - Potato & Leek Soup:

“Eggs On Toast” - Soft Scrambled Eggs, Santa Barbara Uni:

This perennial classic has been on the menu (mostly) since they opened years ago. In honor of @A5KOBE @PorkyBelly we had to revisit this classic again. :wink: It was excellent, with the uneven Uni (this year) being thankfully “even” and fresh and vibrant on this evening. :slight_smile:

House G & T (Gin, Tangerine, Yuzu, Basil):

No bueno. :frowning: At this point, I’m going to be skipping Republique’s Cocktails until they get back better Bartenders. Yet another unbalanced, not very pleasing Cocktail, mainly Gin, almost no taste from Tangerine or Yuzu. Oh well.

Hudson Valley Foie Gras (Pudwill Farms Blackberries, Braised Tokyo Turnips):

As outstanding as last time. :heart: So buttery, perfectly cooked. Right up there with the Grilled Foie Gras over Binchotan Charcoals at Aburiya Raku (@TheCookie).

Octopus Salad (Harry’s Berries Strawberries, Cabbage, Pistachios, Chile, Lime):

I forgot who first recommended us to try the Octopus at Republique (was it @CiaoBob? @J_L? @Porthos or @kevin?), but the Octopus was cooked perfectly, tender (not rubbery), lightly smoky, and when paired with Harry’s Berries’ legendary Organic Strawberries? Do you even need to ask? :smile:

Another great Salad! :heart:

Bucatini Cacio e Pepe:

I’m always looking for a great version of Cacio e Pepe, and we finally saw that Chef Manzke & crew were offering one this evening. We had to order it! :slight_smile:

The Bucatini is cooked perfect al dente, a wonderful chew to the Pasta, and with a nice burst of Black Pepper and a great balanced flavor overall. I liked it more than Felix’s version, easily. I’ll let the Pasta experts like @Novelli @PorkyBelly and others decide, but for me on this visit, Republique’s was the winner. :blush:

Mafaldine (Maine Lobster, Santa Barbara Uni):

Because this great Pasta deserves to be ordered again (and again). As flawless as the previous visit. :heart: Thanks again @PorkyBelly. If you have one Seafood Pasta to order and find yourself in the area, give the Mafaldine a try at Republique.

Cook Ranch Pork Loin, Belly & Sausage (Anson Mills Polenta, Long Beans, Oven-Dried Peaches, Whole Grain Mustard):

Unfortunately, another case where Republique’s large format proteins just aren’t worth ordering: The Cook Ranch Pork Loin, Belly & Sausage dish sounded great. But just one look at the Pork Loin above and you could tell something was wrong.

It tasted like it looked: Super dry, chalky, completely overcooked. :sob: I am not a great cook at all, but I’ve made Pork Loin that was more juicy, tender, and better tasting than this. It was downright bad. :frowning:

The Pork Belly portion was much better thankfully. But just a bit too fatty. :sweat_smile: The outer Pork Skin was crisped, but not crispy enough (but decent), and the lean portion of the Pork Belly was very good. But we had some phenomenal Roasted Pork recently that just made this taste like fast food in comparison.

Boudin Noir:

The Boudin Noir (Blood Sausage) that came with it was quite tender and flavorful, and (sadly) much better than the Pork Loin.

The Cook Ranch Sausage was nice and zesty, somewhat tender, a touch dry, but generally moist.

The Anson Mills Polenta and Corn side that came with it was probably the best part of this dish, creamy, lightly sweet and just pleasing with every bite.

Beef Short Rib (Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Roasted Carrots, Potato Mousseline, Maui Onion Sabayon):

Thankfully their Beef Short Rib righted the ship, delivering this amazing, slow-roasted, tender, almost melt-in-your-mouth bite of Short Rib goodness. :heart:

It just delivered that hearty, slow, home-cooked taste that’s made with care. Definitely the best of the main meat dishes that we’ve tried recently.

Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake:

As rich and decadent as before. :slight_smile:

Trio of Ice Creams - Vanilla, Pistachio-Raspberry, Black Sesame:

Because our friends wanted some Ice Cream, even though we offered to drive them to Bulgarini after this. :stuck_out_tongue: They were fine, but really tame. @paranoidgarliclover definitely skip the Black Sesame Ice Cream here (Shunji’s Black Sesame Ice Cream is much better and has a strong Black Sesame flavor). :slight_smile:

Service has been pretty casual in the 15 or so visits to Republique. Some servers have been more attentive than others, but it’s a very laid back “L.A.” type of service. As noted before (with @Porthos’ thread), the one downside to Republique is the price for dinner: It’s definitely on the pricey side, with many visits averaging about $100 per person.

Republique continues to be one of these dependable, excellent, elevated, but not too elevated restaurants that represents some of L.A.'s best cooking (at times). Stick with their Appetizers, Housemade Charcuterie, amazing Salads, and Pastas and you’ll be having some of the best dishes L.A. has to offer in those categories. Republique also has that lively, dynamic atmosphere that just adds to the fun over dinner. :slight_smile:

Republique
624 South La Brea Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Tel: (310) 362-6115

13 Likes

So glad you got to try the mafaldine and enjoyed it. I’ll have to try the cacio e pepe next time, thanks for the rec. Republique definitely has a higher hit to miss ratio than Felix right now. Love that octopus salad too. Great report as always.

1 Like

Awesome report as always.

Concur on their bar program. It has been downhill since Erik Lund left for Alexander’s in Pasadena. Better to just stick to their wines which is still one of the best lists in the city, albeit a bit pricey.

That chocolate cake is totally calling me.

1 Like

The mafaldine is indeed a delight! We loved it during our visit, too. It reminded us of the lobster lasagnette from the now-defunct Bartalotta in Las Vegas at the Wynn.

2 Likes

Hi @attran99,

Glad you liked the Mafaldine as well. So good right? :slight_smile: Have you tried any of the other pastas recently? Any other standouts you liked? (Give their Cacio e Pepe a try next time.)

1 Like

Hi, @Chowseeker1999! Haven’t been able to return to the city on an evening, yet, but when we do, I will make a point to order another pasta on the menu…in addition to the mafaldine, if it’s still on the menu.

1 Like

amuse bouche - sweet potato beignet, hook’s cheddar, jalapeno-corn pudding

republique_20180826_111750

heirloom tomatoes, gioia burrata, tenerelli farms peaches, terre bormane olive oil
Another one for @Bookwich and @TheCookie. Not as great as nancy’s burrata and peaches but still solid.

republique_20180826_111939

republique_20180826_112057

octopus, underwood farms watermelon, cabbage, pistachios, chile, lime
When i first got this i thought the kitchen ran out of watermelon and had to sub pineapple. But after tasting it it’s definitely watermelon and an insanely honey sweet one at that. Yellow watermelon - have you ever seen anything so full of splendor?

republique_20180826_112236

republique_20180826_112347

mafaldine, maine lobster, santa barbara uni
Still ridiculously good. This one had a bit of chile oil that I haven’t had before.

republique_20180826_112526

republique_20180826_112617

fun fact
The malfadine was made from sustainably wild-caught ruffle shirts and the tears of jim carrey, ryan gosling, and jerry seinfeld.

republique_645648668

republique_18-variations-on-jerry-seinfelds-puffy-shirt-that-1-25671-1345240007-5_big

first dessert - corn agnolotti, brown butter, parmesan, basil

republique_20180826_113652

republique_20180826_113857

second dessert - caramelized white chocolate sabayon, pudwill farms berries, strawberry sorbet

@A5KOBE, thanks for the reminder on this dessert. You described it perfectly, not too sweet, rich as fuck, with the berries being a perfect complement.
republique_20180826_114232

republique_20180826_114324

20 Likes

Awesome! :sweat_smile:

Delicious meal in a group of 6 last weekend at Republique. Wine service was excellent with some reasonably priced bottles on the list (FYI @Omotesando).

We started with 2015 Pax Chenin Blanc Bhuddas Dharma (Mendocino) from 750mL. A nice crisp and refreshing wine with good minerality to pair with a variety of foods.

little gems salad

12 oysters

beef tartare - slight spice to it, but still mild enough to let the beef flavor come through, unlike Little Sister’s rendition

eggs on toast - yep, as good as everyone says

Tuna tartare toast - I liked the interplay between the fresh tuna and saltiness of the fish egg

scallops
[no picture]

At this point in the evening, we opened a new wine, 2014 Marcel Lapierre Morgon from magnum. An easy drinking low abv red with dark red fruit and soft tannin.

mafaldine

farfalle - of particular note is how they seared the sausage, giving it a crispy texture alongside the pasta

cauliflower

rock fish - the kitchen apologized that the short rib was taking so long to come out and dropped off this rock fish on the house.

short rib

The sommelier gave us a special treat. 1982 Leoville Las Cases from what the somm called a jeroboam (which in Bordeaux is apparently 4.5L, though one of the staff said it was 9L) that had been opened the night before! Aromatically open with classic cab notes, on the plate it was very soft and open-knit, with some red fruit still there, but mostly giving savory flavors of earth and tobacco. Acidity was a touch low and tannins were well resolved. Outstanding wine to savor.

Duck a la presse - Wonderful dish, worth ordering if you have a group. The breast wasn’t quite as good as what I had at Dialogue SM, but I enjoyed the pastry-wrapped portion even more. We were able to view the pressing of the duck from our table in the middle of the restaurant across from the kitchen. The kitchen then plated the dish into six individual portions and topped the duck breast with the sauce.

I had not been to Republique in a few years and never really thought it worth the price, but this dinner left me extremely happy and ready to return sooner next time around.

12 Likes

How many plates of short ribs did you get?

Just one (so not a lot of beef per person), but at that stage of the meal we were already getting quite full, and still had the duck to go. Coincidentally, two years ago on my last visit, the short ribs also took a long time and we ended up cancelling it.

Republique is a truly excellent restaurant and definitely in my LA top 10. I’ve never eaten anything at Republique that wasn’t very good.

Then you need to try their fried chicken during brunch. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

amuse bouche
republique_20180926_200815

heirloom tomatoes, gioia burrata, o’henry peaches, terre bormane olive oil
Delicious.
republique_20180926_200933

republique_20180926_201037

atlantic sea scallops, roasted cauliflower, ladyfinger grapes, hazelnuts, australian black winter truffles
Fantastic, perfectly seared. The scallops were so fresh spongebob kept them as pets.
republique_20180926_201215

republique_20180926_201306

octopus, arnett farms plums, cabbage, pistachios, chile, lime
The only miss of the night. More overdressed than a penguin at a beach party. Not enough plums to balance out the tartness of the dressing.
republique_20180926_201508

republique_20180926_202041

bread, normandy butter
Some of the best bread and butter in the city. You butter believe it.
republique_20180926_202144

mafaldine, maine lobster, santa barbara uni
spoiler alert it’s still fucking delicious
republique_20180926_202302

republique_20180926_202351

corn agnolotti, brown butter, parmesan, basil
great as always
republique_20180926_202459

republique_20180926_203145

farfalle, australian black winter truffles, pork belly sausage
reminded me of bestia’s cavatelli, really good.
republique_20180926_203235

brillat savarin cheesecake, figs, graham cracker ice cream
#figsonaplate
republique_20180926_203441

republique_20180926_203539

13 Likes

Possibly, but I wasn’t impressed w/ Arnett’s yield this year (the few times I tried the plums). Just my random $0.02.

1 Like