Republique

Success! It was just sold out for the day/time that I originally selected.

6 Likes

Finally! Had to see what all the fuss was about and if it lived up to the hype. Honestly. my first impression was “it’s OK”. I think with all the hype on this pie, I was expecting seriously intense passionfruit and mango, and this is good, but was not the intensity I was expecting. I have family in Hawaii so lilikoi/passionfruit is one of my favorite flavors, and I’ve also been to Thailand about a half-dozen times and gorged on many plates of mango/sticky rice… so perhaps the expectation was too much.

BUT - then I watched the Wolfgang Puck video on how it was made, and then proceeded to eat some more pie (you know, for, um, RESEARCH purposes). Instead of the usual scoop of pie, I ate each layer…

mango…

whipped cream…

pastry cream…

passionfruit custard…

crust…

WHOA. Now I get it! I hadn’t realized that the “cream” was pastry cream+custard, and could not taste that much of the passionfruit in the combined cream but once I tasted each separately, oh boy!!!

Suffice to say that the rest of the pie may - best case - make it to tomorrow.

I would love to taste a version of this that has the ratio of passionfruit /pastry cream reversed.

Those of you who have had it - what do you think about the crust? Mine was definitely on the harder, drier side, not sure if it is just supposed to be like that?

9 Likes

As was mine. Not sure if she does that to make sure it doesn’t get too soft under the filling?

3 Likes

been that way for me too, makes it really hard to cut cleanly BUT also makes for a much more structurally sound hand pie.

5 Likes

That crust is one of my favorite things. I love the flavor achieved and that it stays so crisp even after the pie has been cut a couple of days.

3 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: FTC Bango: Summer 2020

The mango passion fruit pie still shows up as available for Saturday but when I try to checkout it says sold out.

Change your pickup day/time. I had the same issue.

I love that pizza has 3 entries and frozen treats & sushi each have 2 different entries.

1 Like

I tried about 5 or 6 different slots for Saturday and it’s still sold out. Unfortunately I don’t think any other day or time works for me, but maybe it’s for the best :sweat_smile:

Yeah. I had to choose a different day to find success.

mpfcp back in stock for saturday @chaumein

1 Like

Still says sold out when I tried Saturday for 9:30 am pickup during checkout.

Pie is available at 9:30 on Saturday as of this moment.

1 Like

lol I’ll say this for the third time, when you checkout and try to pay it says sold out.

715pm

pie

11 Likes

Okay, I must have missed reading that part. Yeah, I didn’t actually click ‘Complete Payment’ (wife made other plans already) so I didn’t see if the order would go through.

Mango-Passionfruit Cream available for Saturday at 12:30PM now. Get it while you can.

1 Like

Thanks all. I was able to finally get in an order in via email for Saturday.

Has anyone had the raspberry version? Is it topped full of raspberries like the mango version?

3 Likes

The raspberry version has raspberries gently mixed into the passionfruit custard and several raspberries are placed on top of the vanilla whipped cream.
It’s fantastic. My husband prefers that version because he’s not a mango fan.

4 Likes