Republique

Did somebody say mango? Gotta love mango pie season. @TheCookie, @attran99, @hanhgry, @NYCtoLA, @butteredwaffles, @Chowseeker1999, @chinchi, @ebethsdad, @A5KOBE, @foodshutterbug

ezgif.com-gif-maker

Pro tip: use some parchment paper to keep all the insides in.

20 Likes

Ahhh… I was wondering how you got it to look so neat. I won’t even ask how you did the cat cartoon. :smile:

2 Likes

:facepunch:

12 Likes

Brother from another mother

14 Likes

Omg! What is that one?

Hi @TheCookie,

Chef Margarita Manzke’s other amazing creation, Buko Pie only at Sari Sari Store. Thread about it here. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

how was it compared to the mpfcp?

1 Like

Thanks @Chowseeker1999! I’ll have to give Sari Sari Store another try. Didn’t love it first try. But I LOVE creamy, custardy Coconut Pie… possibly even more than fruit. :grimacing:

1 Like

[(:mango:^2):coconut:]/(:coconut::mango:) > [:coconut:!:mango:^(.5)]/[:mango:(:coconut:-1)!:mango:^(-.5)]

5 Likes

Okay, I’m way too dumb for that. @PorkyBelly? Which one did he like better? :grin:

:mango: > :coconut:

mango

2 Likes

Buko Pie is really good, but it’s available year round at Sari Sari.

The pie was very good after refrigerating it overnight. It’s got a light coconut flavor. On the other hand, the combination of layered snappy young coconut, flaky crust, and the crunchy crumbles on top give the pie excellent contrasting mouthfeel.

Two execution flaws kept it from being great…the custard could be much creamier like MPFCP and if you look at the close up picture of the buko pie, you can tell that the bottom crust either didn’t cook through or it got a bit soggy.

4 Likes

HOLE up. They got buko pie at Repubes a couple of blocks away? Someone tell me how I’m supposed to buy things. I have to preorder or some shit or just roll up?

No, it’s only available at Sari Sari.

sari sari
http://sarisaristorela.com/blog/full-buko-pie-orders/

Oh ok. So yea that pie is never going to be forgotten. I either had a spiritual experience or a panic attack or a mini stroke because after I ate half of it after my meal my head spun and I had dizziness for several minutes that wouldn’t pass… I went outride and sat and waited it out… never happened before. I’m going to say it’s buko pie magic and not some event after eating a salt and fat bomb of a rice and pork dish

4 Likes

I ordered on at 3PM and I got a notification that said it’s ready to be picked up at 4PM. The cashier at Sari Sari was wearing a Republique shirt. lol.

1 Like

Had the pie. First bite i was a little disappointed that it was more cream than passionfruit. I agree with whoever said it would be better if the proportions were reversed. But by the end of my second piece I was a big fan!

Yep, @moonboy403, your photo of the crunchy, crumble topping on the Coconut Pie sparked my tastebuds, and I did notice the bottom crust looked off. But, can I make a FTC confession and not be kicked off the Republique thread? Okay. I don’t think crust is Chef’s strong suit :grimacing:… or maybe it’s a matter of preference. I absolutely love Republique’s pastries & desserts and the MPFCP is off the hook. But, I like a softer, buttery, flakier crust and their pie crusts are a little dry and hard to cut.

2 Likes