Republique

Love that we get Peony + Warrior.

2 Likes

Whaaa?! Wild. The lines were putting us off but clearly we’ve been missing out!

3 Likes

Peach cream pie spotted on their IG stories

8 Likes

Peony: We had another great night at Republique. The campanelle pasta dish stood out for me. It had a perfect texture and the right amount of sauce, although I found it was a little bit on the salty side. I also liked the duck paired with peach and the salmon paired with peas and rice. I expected the tomatoes to be a little bit more flavorful, but they were not as juicy and sweet as I expected. But overall, none of the dishes were disappointing. The overall standard is quite consistent. One thing I noticed is that Republique never does anything risky. So the pro would be that the food is always reliable. The con is that they never have any creative dish that is pushing the edge and memorable.

Warrior: No such thing as a bad meal at Republique. I can’t remember having any dish there that wasn’t good. Last night, I loved the dashi-based sauce for the salmon, even though the salmon itself, while nicely cooked, wasn’t as special as the exceptional salmon we had at Otium. Duck breast and leg confit were very good, but the duck breast at Bicyclette had more impressive execution. I loved the savory sauce of the campanelle pasta with lobster, the Kumamoto oysters and the tomato, melon, goat cheese salad. The cheese plate was good, not great (though I loved the raw cow milk cheese from Indiana). Overall, I thought our meal at the new sister restaurant Bicyclette was slightly better than this meal. I think Peony provided a correct assessment of the pros and cons of Republique.

1 Like

On the plus side, I think the relatively straightforward nature of the food goes great with wine, such as what you selected. Yum.

1 Like

43 posts were split to a new topic: Former host at Republique: threat or menace?

munak ranch heirloom tomato dinner

solid tomato tasting menu, looking forward to what Walter has planned for the upstairs at bicyclette.

no sign of tall, curly, diva host guy this visit.

highlights

• tuna tostada

• panna cotta with uni and caviar and the accompanying piping hot brioche :heart:

• baguette with butter

• dry-aged ribeye

• cheesecake

bluefin tuna tostada, salsa fresca, tomato ‘margarita’

tomato panna cotta, santa barbara uni, kaluga caviar, tomato gelee

‘persimmon’ tomato gazpacho, lemon cucumber, watermelon, basil

baguette, rudolph le meunier normandy butter

thai curry soup, maine lobster, pineapple tomato, oeach confit, roasted peanuts

smoked goat’s cheese raviolo, summer corn, soft egg, sungold tomato, traditional balsamic

dry-aged beef ribeye, celebrity tomato confit, chanterelle mushrooms, sauce ratatouille

brillat savarin cheesecake, munak ranch melons

17 Likes

Oh yay @PorkyBelly! A food report! :heart:

Is that tequila in the glass? What’s at the bottom?

1 Like

What does that taste like? Milky tomato?

Your photography game is so strong right now

3 Likes

He’s VIP now, so the “tall, curly, diva host guy” lets him being his lightbox. lol jk

8 Likes

I agree probably. JL and Moonboy also has strong photo game. My iPhone 12 pics look like it was taken by a potato compared to them

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie

Yah, thanks :blush: i can’t remember exactly, but i think it was tequila, tomato water, and melon? served piping chilled, it was interesting. what are your favorites at republique? thanks.

5 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly

Yah, sounds interesting.

We (meaning I) love the small bites like the Amuse-Bouche of Soup, Savory Beignets, Big Eye Tuna Tartare, Baguette + Normandy Butter and the legendary Pastries & Pies! So good! Right?! :heart::blush::heart:

4 Likes

Per CS1999 Republique now has a Twinkie that got a :heart: approval

2 Likes

While I understand your extraordinary enthusiasm and support for the other poster, it is completely inappropriate to lump him together in this discussion, whether here or on other social media platforms. Not to mention they are two completely different forums. And it makes me legitimately wonder why the need to compare or inject him at every turn, rather than let my review of one establishment stand. It comes across as putting down ftc when you do that, and make me further wonder if there are other intentions beyond that enthusiasm.

12 Likes

Lol this is never going to die

7 Likes

Never

5 Likes

Is this like the Jets and the Sharks

You talking about the cremadette?