Republique

oh you have the kind of coworkers that dont let you try their food either? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fantastic post @PorkyBelly from beginning (love potato leak soup) to end!

République Wholegrain Bread & Other Stuff

Coinkydink… was working in the yard yesterday, came in for this snack and saw a shout-out from you on the thread. Thanks.

I still haven’t been inside République, but my husband has taken a shine to it and keeps bringing home little goodies. I can see why you’re traveling this way for the bread @Bookwich.

We’ve decided our next nice dinner will be there. No more excuses. It’s time…

8 Likes

Ignore them @catholiver. They’re teasing PorkyBelly while mocking me and you.

1 Like

Oh, honey, I know. I just wish people would speak up rather than be namby-pamby :slight_smile:

1 Like

Arbequina olive oil! I love that stuff. :).

1 Like

yea… Ojai olive oil company has an awesome arbequina (as well as a great hidden trail going north west off their property)

3 Likes

It’s not on their site. Is it perhaps only something they sell when you’re physically there?

1 Like

Guess so. It’s gorgeous up there so if this is the excuse to go, hope i can inspire lol. If you end up with just another olive oil, you’ll still have a nice time

1 Like

So agree. Republique & Otium are like, not even in the same galaxy.

1 Like

lol—I suppose they would if I asked, but we were all too busy eating and drinking wine after completing a pretty intense deadline/project. Plus I don’t know them well enough to stick my fork in their plate :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

BTW—I’m finally starting to feel like I’m getting acclimated w/ my work load and deadline schedule (2 months in—oy) we should try to squeeze in a lunch sometime after this week.

farmer’s market is tomorrow… that’s pretty easy. off to ny after that

unfortunately I’m on deadline tomorrow, so I’ll be eating @ my desk…hit me up when you get back from NY and we’ll see if we can do a farmer’s market wed. in a couple of weeks

Enjoyed the mafaldine last night…man, that is something else. Easily the winner of the night.

4 Likes

Nice, have you (or anybody) tried the spaghetti with smoked eel yet?

Glad you asked

gioia burrata toast, zucchini pesto, roasted fat uncle farms almonds
soft, milky, light and cool
republique_20180609_181010

foie gras torchon toast, apricot, yuzu, sesame
delicous
republique_20180609_181026

hudson valley foie gras, murray farms cherries, braised watermelon radish
the sweet and tart cherries complemented the foie gras and cut through the richness like an asshole bimmer driver cuts through traffic on the 405.
republique_20180610_180430

republique_20180610_180520

spaghetti, imperial kaluga caviar, smoked eel
rich, smoky and creamy, really good but doesn’t top the lobster mafaldine.
republique_20180610_180628

republique_20180610_180721

brillat-savarin cheesecake, murray farms cherries, graham cracker ice cream
If you put fruit on your dessert it counts as a salad
republique_20180609_191751

republique_20180610_180850

15 Likes

Dropped by this morning to pick up some Father’s Day treats…and have breakfast. The wait at 10AM this morning was only about 25 minutes. We picked up an assorted batch of pastries, for both today and tomorrow. They didn’t have key lime pie, but they did have a passion fruit mango tart and avocado kalamansi tart. Will do a review of the pastries later when we eat them.
But for breakfast…
Lobster omelette - Maine lobster, Gruyere cheese, herbs, Hollandaise, and mixed greens

Avocado Hollandaise - bacon, micro greens, 63 degree egg, avocado, Hollandaise, pickled Fresno chiles

12 Likes

Thanks for the report, how was the lobster omelette?

1 Like

It was pretty good…lots of perfectly poached lobster bites in each bite. I shared with a friend so I only ate half. Eating the whole thing may be a tad too rich because of the cheese and the Hollandaise, but the mixed greens are a good foil. We both enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Great restaurant. Outclassed recent meals at Rustic Canyon, Cassia, and Bavel.

After heeding the pictures and posts of @PorkyBelly recents visits to Republique up thread, I had to make it back for a return visit. Republique, as usual, delivered, again. In fact, it was fabulous, especially when some of my favorite items are in season, namely the corn agnolotti and eggs in toast.

Menu

Alcohol

Eggs on Toast :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Order this now. Ridiculous butter flavor, rich custardy egg, and more sweet custardy urchin eggs on top. Top those luscious ingredients on Republique’s toasted baguette and it only gets better. The eggs were soft scrambled, luscious and delicate and packed with butter flavor. Recent sea urchin has been pretty fuckin great.

Octopus Salad :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

This was really good, bright, and quite interesting in terms of the flavors. It was mainly acidic with the lime juice at the forefront, yet taking a bite with a little of everything brought just a ridiculous amount of unique flavors. The fuckin melon was so damn sweet. Each ingredient worked perfectly together to cohesively provide texture, balance, and a bevy of flavors into this dish. To note, it appears my dish is slightly different than @PorkyBelly version. IMO, the melon was one of the best parts of this dish.

Soft Shell Crab :heart_eyes:

Another good dish, the crab was crispy and tender and full of flavor. The chili sauce was quite tasty, this dish could have used a touch of acidity but still good. The cilantro was a nice touch.

Corn Fuckin Agnolotti :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

My favorite dish at Republique is back on the menu, and for me, the dish of the night. Each bite was a reminder of how ridiculous this pasta is. Rich butter and sweet corn wrapped in perfect pasta. The tomatoes added just enough acidity and another type of sweetness. Fairly certain they made the sauce with the milk from the corn and their amazing butter. Must order.

Malfaldine :heart_eyes:

This dish was really good. I enjoyed this dish quite a bit, the sweet lobster and uni sauce, the perfect pasta, and the chunks of lobster all were great. My lobster was a touch overcooked. The predominant flavor I got was lobster with a subtle hint of sea urchin. For my taste, I think Redbird’s version was a notch above.

Blueberry Crumble

Skip this, too bad it ended with a dud. Way too sour, it needed twice the amount of crumble or even a richer ice cream to balance this one out, or both. No cheesecake on the menu.

Overall, a great meal. Had they wowed the dessert, they would have knocked it out of the ballpark. Service was great. Pacing was just right. I’ll be going back soon before some of these items disappear from the menu again.

13 Likes