Restaurant with vegan offerings

I’m planning a dinner out on the westside (Culver City ideally) on Thursday night for four people, one of whom is vegan. I just need a great restaurant with vegan options. I don’t want a vegan restaurant though. I’m open to any food type and it can be up to $50/pp before alcohol. Outside seating would be great, but not necessary. Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Like

Ruatic Canyon has some great vegan dishes.

2 Likes

Gjelina

4 Likes
  1. maybe more casual than you want, but Shamshiri Grill has a huge portion of their menu dedicated to their vegan offerings. they also have a patio.

2. fwiw, i’ve never been to gjelina and gotten out of there for $50/pp. don’t know if your group is into “careful ordering” but none of my people can be relied upon to order carefully.

1 Like

Hi @deedubs,

Just thought of an alternative on West Adams (near Fairfax), so relatively close to Culver City as well, just more East: Alta Adams. They have Vegan items like Spiced Plantain Chips, Black-Eyed Pea Fritters (hold the Dipping Sauce), Arugula Salad (Watermelon, Cucumber, skip the Feta), BBQ Cauliflower “Steak” (delicious); California Gumbo; Collard Greens, Green Beans (w/ Spicy Tomato Sauce), Rice & Beans.

I posted some pics and thoughts here in this thread.

But otherwise, second the suggestions for Gjelina or Shamshiri Grill.

1 Like

by chance does anyone have any current info on this criterion? ideally restaurants in the vein of rustic canyon, bavel, etc. that have sufficient vegan options to make a meal out of (e.g. not just salads and eat-your-veggies vegetable dishes)

Maybe Post and Beam?

They have a vegan crab cake appetizer, a kale and endive salad, four different vegetarian sides and two vegetarian pizzas that they could (presumably) do vegan by leaving off the cheese.

I dunno, maybe that’s too close to “salads and eat-your-veggies.” It could be that I just really like PaB in general, so it’s an excuse to suggest it.

2 Likes

Gjelina might be a good option

2 Likes

Refreshing this for tonight; dinner with a vegan colleague. We are downtown LA and I can drive us anywhere. He’s carless, and been eating a lot of vegan Chinese.

My tentative plan is Side Pie. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

a few completely vegan places:
nics on beverley Eat — Nic's On Beverly
au lac Downtown LA Menu — Au Lac
plant food+wine https://www.plantfoodandwine.com/menu#menu=dinner

but i would take a good pizza place over all of these (e.g. pizzeria sei, maybe da michele)

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ve been to Au Lac and both my companion and I thought the portions were unsatisfying. That plus no alcohol offered removes it from my rotation. It’s a great space, though.

matthew kenney also has an italian vegan spot - double zero. broad set of options, all pretty decent for a non-vegan LUNCH + DINNER MENU | Matthew Kenney

1 Like

Crossroads Kitchen and Shojin are terrific. Gracias Madre and Rahel are good as well.

Rajdhani has vegetarian dishes, some of which are vegan.

It’s not exclusively vegan or vegetarian, but Carousel has a vast menu with many vegan and vegetarian choices, and is excellent.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations. I gave my colleague the recommendations, and he decided he wanted to go to Altadena. Side Pie it is!

I got the Bobby Green (Kale. Mushroom. Mozzarella. Lemon Oil. Onion. Parmesan. Garlic. ) and he got the marinara with some extras that I didn’t catch. We both took a can of Ventura Light and sat in their backyard dining area. It was a gorgeous, clear night. The food was very good and the setting was terrific.

I treated as colleague had a serious case of morose, and I’m a soft touch. $65ish before tip. Colleague ate all of his, I ate half of mine; then we went over to Bulgarini Gelato for chocolate orange for me, and peach for him. It was a lovely night.

3 Likes

Some shoutouts to good vegan food I’ve eaten recently.

Erewhon. Love the plant-based breakfast burrito and the eggless breakfast sandwich. I’ve been eating breakfast here about 4 times a week. Today I had a tasty smoked salmon tartine, which isn’t vegan strictly speaking.

Au Lac. Ordered delivery from there tonight for the umpteenth time. Peony announced - “I like Au Lac.” I know, I know.

Wild Living Foods. My favorite vegan food by a mile. I wish they could use farmer’s market vegetables but I understand price constraints.

1 Like

what are the things to get here?? seems like an eclectic menu, which usually makes me a bit wary…

Personal favorites are:

Aztalan bowl
Golden pancakes
Nachos especiales

I like everything on the menu though (and the ice creams and sweets at the counter).

1 Like