Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

What can I do? What’s open?

Essential services will remain open such as:

Gas stations
Pharmacies
Food: Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks, convenience stores, take-out and delivery restaurants
Banks
Laundromats/laundry services

Essential state and local government functions will also remain open, including law enforcement and offices that provide government programs and services.

4 Likes

Yes
And, strangely, dry cleaners!

2 Likes

Yup, I had to wash my iPhone screen after reading the FTC version of Hustlers, because it got dirtier than the outside of my car! :wink:

4 Likes

White coat cooties syndrome. Though a healthy dose of gamma rays will also help.
#nofomites

1 Like

Had great take out experience at porridge and puffs. 3 course Pinch for $20 and tea leaf salad and porridge (not pictured). Also got some provisions—her pickles and dressings are fantastic.

Replated :laughing:

18 Likes

Hadn’t thought about visiting Pizzana until I read about the Padrino/Godfather sandwich in LA Times. I saw on Pizzana’s IG it’s a special this week.

Have always loved a good Italian sub from growing up in San Francisco, so I took a quick drive to Pizzana Brentwood and picked up this bad boy curbside after prepaying online:

$17 before tax and 20% tip so not a cheap eat, but the housemade soppresatta and mortadella on their roll made from pizza dough was so tasty!

Provolone cheese usually comes out like a cross between plastic leather and rubber, but Pizzana cuts it into shards so the creamy after bite hits following the spicy soppresatta and pepperoncini.

All my forbidden foods - cured meats, nightshade plants (peppers), dairy and wheat rolled into one.

Saving the other half for tomorrow. Still have to try their pizzas.

12 Likes

Some such as Chase have cut back hours here in LA County. I read they’re temporarily closing branches by 20% nationwide.

I thought I was early when getting to my local branch at 4:30p when they normally close at 6p and saw a hastily posted sign saying they’re temporarily closing at 4p instead — no forewarning whatsoever.

1 Like

For comparison, Sushi Yoshizumi’s bara chirashi don at $120 (had mine last night, stellar)

Someone’s bara chirashi don from today:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B979J4KjDYN/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Breakdown:

• Premium sushi rice + Iio Jozo sake lees and pure rice vinegar (only Noz uses this same combination in NY right now, along with one other sushi restaurant in Alameda, CA). I dare say his rice might even be better than Noz or SGO.
  • castella tamagoyaki (made with madai)
  • hotaru ika marinated with miso and “perfectly kissed” by binchotan
  • kohada
  • his legendary kanpyo
  • komochi yari ika (simmered pregnant spear squid)
  • Hokkaido uni (mine did not have this), his latest batch of Nemuro uni is stellar.
  • straw smoked and grilled meiji maguro (baby blue fin)
  • kasugodai
  • Japanese bluefin zuke akami (done old school style)
  • marinated / simmered scallop
  • shira ebi (toyama) konbu jime
  • anago (latest from Tsushima)
  • sumi ika
  • either kanpachi, ishidai, and/or mebaru
  • akagai
  • sakura masu
  • freshly grated wasabi (a generous portion as well)
  • chopped ginger/gari (marinated with sushi vinegar)

A good portion of the fish is aged and/or cured/marinated (zuke or kelp) or had some form of Edomae Kung Fu applied to it.

8 Likes

And cannabis dispensaries.

1 Like

Mine was busy today. Really busy.

2 Likes

I’m not surprised… I wish it didn’t make me paranoid or believe me, I would be partaking right now.

2 Likes

Portos is slanging bake at home potato balls online. They even have the seafood potato balls! + a bunch of other stuff.

6 Likes

I’ll admit, I’m intrigued by Vespertine. $49pp + 20% delivery charge. You can also select reasonably priced wine. W/o beverage, it’s $130 for two people delivered.

7 Likes

Oh, you. I’m talking about all the great food pickup/delivery options you were asking about. :smile:

1 Like

Picked up Indian from Rita’s yesterday https://ritascafesm.com/

She said take-out had been humming along until yesterday, when it fell off a cliff (I was there basically at the same time the shelter-in-place order was given). As before, it’s definitely better to call than order online.

Awesome! Just grabbed the potato balls and guava pastries.

Anyone know of any other places shipping frozen food or other less-perishable food? I’m trying to support all the local restaurants I can while stocking up.

4 Likes

Republique is currently delivering their mango passion fruit pie on Grubhub FYI.

Update: Holy shit it’s good

6 Likes

Yep, last holiday season I did my best to buy food, drink and experiences rather than more stuff for peeps. This year instead of waiting I bought restaurant gift cards early. Two birds with one stone - helps out restaurants and I got my shopping done early. :slightly_smiling_face:

FYI vegans, you can get gift cards from Little Pine, Silverlake sent directly to your and others’ mobile phones.

3 Likes

I noticed that, and I totally did not get that. Although, if dry cleaners can do enough business during the current time to stay in business, then that’s great.

No, but the amount of meat looks enormous.

Her spinach and potato is one of my fav dishes (anywhere). But avoid the tandoori chicken.

Jaipur looked very un-busy when I went on Tues. Food was really tasty, so, folks, order from this place, too!

If people are worried about their food

5 Likes