Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

And the fantastic 2nd floor izakaya that was in Olympic Collection…name?

1 Like

Morinoya

3 Likes

Morinoya was the pared-down sequel restaurant to the already-mentioned legendary izakaya Place Yuu (located in the space Seoul Tofu currently occupies). It was my #1 go-to fin de siècle restaurant in L.A.

2 Likes

I knew I could count on someone… I mean you. :grin:

I tried a new pop up–L’Aegean–out of Melody tonight and started to get some good Mh Zh vibes.

It’s a tight menu made up mostly of meze, from hummus and tzatziki to htipiti and dolmades, with the sole main being lamb kebab and baklaval on tap for dessert.

I mention Mh Zh mainly because of the hummus, which came topped with browned butter and a side of Bub and Grandma’s bread. While it didn’t have the pickled raisins that made their hummus really pop, I quite enjoyed it.

Htipiti isn’t a dish I’m very familiar with, but the chunks of red pepper, creamy feta, and briny olives was a bit addicting.

The lamb kebab was nicely cooked, and came placed on top of tabouleh and lavash spread with tahini. Add on the grilled tomato and onion to cut through some of the richness and this was a well executed and satisfying dish.

The baklava wasn’t overpoweringly sweet or sticky–the perfect bite to end the meal.

The pop up still seems young, but it’s off to a promising start. I’m going to keep my eye out for future opportunities.

13 Likes

Since the numbers remain quite bad in LA (even if they are markedly better than they were earlier in the month), I suspect the CRA is setting up LA-area members for disappointment w/ that letter (that fundamentally misrepresents my own understanding of what may happen tomorrow, but I have no inside knowledge). But we shall see.

4 Likes

Man that looks good!

They’re back this weekend with a different menu! I already committed to trying GRC’s kebab on Saturday, but seeing brussels sprouts on the menu makes me consider a bang bang…

1 Like

tempura endo

9 Likes

Well… looks like back to business as usual in L.A. :crossed_fingers:t4:

Cool, they have stuff I can afford. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK7ssbLDcNn/?igshid=10n8igms6ibqh

Not sure where to post this but these people out to scam restaurants can go to hell. For those without IG: customer places large order, pays with credit then disputes it with credit card company and wins even with proof of goods delivered from restaurant.

Apparently this may be happening to others as well that we don’t know about—Minh of Porridge and puffs had suspicious order as well.

10 Likes

Scum of the earth.

5 Likes

More frequent order from them with bigger tips.

2 Likes

Edit: After re-reading the post, it is possible that they were completely compliant and still got fucked. I will keep my original comment up, but I retract and apologize for implying that Spoon by H was non-compliant

Absolutely terrible and the people that do that are despicable.
This is not an issue that is specific to the current COVID situation. It has been an ugly secret that people try to stay hush-hush on to avoid further spread.

That said, there is a way to curtail this behavior: make sure that your credit card processing is complaint. This fraud only happens when small business are not compliant. When a fraudster recognizes that a business is not compliant, it is open season.

I don’t see anything in Spoon By H’s Instagram posts that suggests they were not compliant.

1 Like

Horrible…

We called Carlitos Gardel Steakhouse for a pickup order and they said they’re only taking walk-ins because of credit card cheats.

3 Likes

Wow that’s terrible :frowning:

2 Likes

Question: What are you doing about your stuck together takeout noodles? Add a skosh of hot water? Eat them with fork & knife, lol?

1 Like