Restaurants - Delivery or Pick Up Options

Kato’s menu this week looks insane.

3 Likes

Be careful guys, scan the road and check the media/news to avoid any large groups/gatherings.
Its probably best to just stay inside. No chirashi or pie is worth it. I’m all for lawful and peaceful freedom of speech but this is insane.

2 Likes

This. I get the feeling a lot (not all) of the people who are desperate to eat out and rushing to dine in will be the ones who are the most lax about distancing and safety practices.

I’m working on a big grocery order for my parents and siblings. After we finish redistributing, the households are hiding for the next few weeks.

4 Likes

Per their Instagram, Konbi is back open for breakfast 9-11 am and lunch 11 am-4 pm.

4 Likes

I’ll try to drive by Belle Vie this weekend to see if they’re open for dine-in (my understanding is that the owner wanted to do this ASAP).

At any rate, here is there “long-term” menu. Food delivery can now be done via Postmates.

IIRC, there was also an e-mail that the owner (Vincent) would be doing a somm’s choice of 6 wines for $120 for delivery?

they’re open

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBBe9NxDVEA/

1 Like

Today I had Cassell’s delivery for lunch. I was actually surprised that Postmates would deliver from downtown to the Westside (and felt vaguely guilty about it due to the carbon footprint), but I was so busy with work with no time to cook, so I just hit “order.”

I had the fried chicken sandwich – I’ve never had Howlin’ Ray’s or any of Howlin’ Ray’s competitors so no basis of comparison there – but I was pleasantly surprised by the sandwich. I expected it might be a soggy mess, but it really wasn’t too bad in that respect. Tasted a bit bland at first until I doused it with the spicy mayo that was packaged separately and then the sandwich was quite tasty. Tasty pickles wrapped separately with cole slaw.

The lemon graham cracker crumb pie was meh, and not something to be ordered again. And did not make me feel enthusiastic about trying any of Cassell’s other desserts.

3 Likes

thank you for your well said response

Okay, color me officially pissed off. This was my delivery dinner from Maude last night.

Does that look like a $30 entree to you? It didn’t to me. The entree was described as “Poached Shrimp with Orzo, Pesto, Asparagus, Grilled Broccolini and Snow Peas.” Which is technically accurate - buried under that orzo were a few shrimps, some tiny pieces of asparagus and a few baby slivers of broccolini. It was not what I was expecting for $30. It tasted okay – not terrible, but not something I would ever order again, much less spend $30 on.

I think it is fair to say that Maude needs to rethink its takeout approach.

1 Like

I sometimes think you are more finicky that me with your critiques but i have to say that is ridiculous. For that price is expect to see some really nice fat market asparagus with charred broccolini… not some soup Plantation looking concoction

2 Likes

Uni for scale?

Seriously, though, how big was that??? If it were on the smaller side then, yes, I’d def be p*ssed about that, too. But it also sounds like it didn’t even taste that good. Thanks for taking one for the team.

Don’t get me started on the rubber omelet that I had this morning from Chaumont, although that was probably user error ordering an omelet for delivery and some of my other pandemic deliveries from Chaumont have been fine. Another skunk from Chaumont was the Zaatar Chicken Schnitzel Plate - I consider it a public service to warn people not to order that particular dish.

I’m not a great photographer so the scale didn’t show in the picture, but the container was 6 inches wide and 5 inches deep. I was a little shocked when I looked in the delivery bag and all I found was that tiny container.

It wasn’t even that it didn’t taste good – it tasted okay, but in the way that things taste okay if you cook with tons of fat (not sure if it was butter or oil, but there was a lot of added fat in that dish) rather than from any finesse in the spicing or technique.

Ugh. Do think it’d be worth sharing your feedback w/ the restaurant?

I have to admit I’m kind of surprised that your savory dishes at Chaumont have largely been fine. I adore the croissants there, but the one time I had a non pastry (yrs ago), I was so thoroughly unimpressed that I had no desire to try any other non-pastry.

I think the schnitzel was the only entree I have had recently at Chaumont that I consider a “dish.” My other deliveries were scrambled eggs (fine), croissant scrambled egg sandwich (fine), plate of salmon and hard-boiled egg (fine) and chicken sandwich (fine, especially considering how horrible such sandwiches are at places like the Stand). Poached eggs and tomato sauce not fine, but that was probably a delivery issue in that it was just too soupy.

Years ago I think I had one of Chaumont’s non egg entree dishes and it was mediocre and I never went back to Chaumont and wondered what all the fuss was about. It’s only with the pandemic that I have started ordering delivery from Chaumont because it is very close by, so I know it won’t suffer as much in delivery as if it were coming from across town.

I wish Kiriko delivered as everything there is always good. Every day I mean to pop by Kiriko for pickup and then I get too busy with work and I can’t afford to take the time and so Postmates it is . . .

Given the absence of visible shrimp, perhaps Maude meant “poached” in the other sense of the word.

4 Likes

If it makes you feel better it’s listed at $60 on tock. No size listed except it’s what came up when I selected takeout for 1…

Srsly though wtf

No, that’s the “family size” for $60. The individual serving is $30.

5 Likes

What do y’all think. Is this the end of the era regardless of COVID? Seems like everyone is opening up and the pandemic is “over”

1 Like